REQUEST: Give back option to edit URL field without info popover

djenders

Idea

I was a HUGE fan of having the URL field displayed by default when entering notes. In card view I no longer have the option to save the URL of an article or location unless I hit the "info" icon and enter it that way.

VERY ANNOYING. How can I modify this and display the URL field by default? And for that matter, I hugely enjoyed the ability to back edit dates on notes as I was entering them as well. Again, this is hidden in the info area.

Thanks,

Dennis

13 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I was a HUGE fan of having the URL field displayed by default when entering notes. In card view I no longer have the option to save the URL of an article or location unless I hit the "info" icon and enter it that way.

VERY ANNOYING. How can I modify this and display the URL field by default? And for that matter, I hugely enjoyed the ability to back edit dates on notes as I was entering them as well. Again, this is hidden in the info area.

Thanks,

Dennis

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

I agree that it would be nice if we could see and edit all of the note's metadata, and this (I forget what it was called) is one of the features I used to have toggled "on" in previous versions, but I think the Mac team is going in a different direction. Based on previous discussions on the forums, I would surmise that they want to make the experience as streamlined and straightforward as possible for new users. So, it looks like they are going to stick with the pop-over.

I am hoping that we'll get a shortcut key at some point to make it a little easier to edit those fields. If there is one now, I don't know about it.

That is really sad to hear. As a power user, and one that has a URL attached to 99.9% of all items I drop into Evernote there is no reason that they shouldn't expose the fields. And at the very least, have an option to toggle the fields that we use most often.

Being a marketing professional, I truly believe in great UX. But what percentage of Evernote users are "new" vs. the folks like us using it everyday.

I hope an Evernote rep has a solution, or takes a very serious look at bringing this back. If not I'll have to move to another program. nearly 2,400 notes deep into Evernote - I don't want to do that.

• Level 5*

I'd guess at the rate that Evernote is going, those that have been around longer than 2 years are in an already or soon to be dwindling minority.

Yep. There are going to be plenty of power users out there (in terms of numbers), but not so many by percentage, because they are adding millions of users each year. I think we are at 30 million or so now.

I don't get the impression that Evernote doesn't care about the needs of power users. In fact, on the Windows client you can do everything you want and more. It is quite possibly one of the most customizable experience I have used (with the possible exception of Word, which I find frustrating at times, but certainly customizable). The Mac team has gone in a different direction. That's all. You might want to consider installing Windows on your Mac if this is an important feature to you, because it seems unlikely (given past precedent) that the Mac team is going to reverse course.

• Level 5*
I'd guess at the rate that Evernote is going, those that have been around longer than 2 years are in an already or soon to be dwindling minority.

Sorta makes me feel old. Oh, wait...

I am hoping that we'll get a shortcut key at some point to make it a little easier to edit those fields. If there is one now, I don't know about it.

I'm not sure if you mean a shortcut for each field, but there is a general one: Command-Shift-I shows note info, and after you press it you can hit tab to go to each field. It might still be annoying to have to press a bunch of extra keys, but I've found it pretty useful once you've integrated it in your usual workflow.

• Level 5*

I'm not sure if you mean a shortcut for each field, but there is a general one: Command-Shift-I shows note info, and after you press it you can hit tab to go to each field. It might still be annoying to have to press a bunch of extra keys, but I've found it pretty useful once you've integrated it in your usual workflow.

Thanks! That is what I was looking for :)

I would prefer to see everything without having to press this for each and every note, but it will do.

Yea I was really hoping for more, because it was so easy to tab between Title, Date, URL and Tags.

Evernote, are you listening?

• Level 5*

Yea I was really hoping for more, because it was so easy to tab between Title, Date, URL and Tags.

LOL. I think they have heard an earful about this from a lot of us about this aspect of the application. They are definitely listening. Ultimately, though, they have to make the design decisions, and they cannot just listen to a small subset of their 30 million + users. So, while it is important for us to advocate for the features we want, and I encourage you to speak up here on the forums (that is what they are for, after all), don't be surprised if they disagree with you :)

LOL. I think they have heard an earful about this from a lot of us about this aspect of the application. They are definitely listening. Ultimately, though, they have to make the design decisions, and they cannot just listen to a small subset of their 30 million + users. So, while it is important for us to advocate for the features we want, and I encourage you to speak up here on the forums (that is what they are for, after all), don't be surprised if they disagree with you :)

I'm fine with them disagreeing, but at some point this is basic user experience. And hidden menus, for power users or not, shouldn't be a design decision. The "info" icon is great but as a marketer, and designer, it's a pretty poor usability decision IMO.

Archived