(Archived) HELP: Internal links?

• Level 5*

I can insert links:

1) to others note ?

2) To a specific location in the current note. Something like a table of contents at the beginning of the note ?

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

(1) You can link to other notes in your account. What client are you using? We can explain it if we know that. As for linking to someone else's note, just paste in the note link.

(2) No. I am afraid not. Anchors are often requested. One workaround is to break up long notes into several smaller ones and use note links. This is something I did even before I moved into Evernote, because this enables you to quickly navigate to find information, since everything in a note can be displayed without scrolling.

What client are you using? We can explain it if we know that.

I use on different computers:

1) Evernote for Windows

2) Evernote for Windows portable version

3) sometimes I use it with Firefox Web Clipper

4) sometimes I use Evernote for Android

I see, I can insert a link to a note in the form "evernote:///view/..." but such a link does not work on computers where I havent installed Evernote for Windows ;( (on some computers I use portable version no installation)

While the link ":http://www.evernote.com/shard/....." runs a note in web browser and it is not editable.

• 2 months later...

Is there no way for an editable web link to a note ? Today if I have a lot of notes on a project - I create a Google Doc - and then there's an editable link I can paste in various places for quick access and editing.

Would rather link back to Evernote. I know I can create an uneditable link. I know I can "log in" to EN from web.

But an editable link that automatically opened the note in edit mode through the web browser would be nice.

• Level 5*

What client are you using? We can explain it if we know that.

I use on different computers:

1) Evernote for Windows

2) Evernote for Windows portable version

3) sometimes I use it with Firefox Web Clipper

4) sometimes I use Evernote for Android

I see, I can insert a link to a note in the form "evernote:///view/..." but such a link does not work on computers where I havent installed Evernote for Windows ;( (on some computers I use portable version no installation)

While the link ":http://www.evernote.com/shard/....." runs a note in web browser and it is not editable.

You'll have to log in if you want to edit on the browser.

As for delawaredave's suggestion, I can imagine a note shared publicly with everyone that is also editable by anyone without logging in, but that would seem to go against the current model, and I am not sure it would be widely adopted. In fact, I imagine it might be a bit of a problem when people mistakenly use that setting and have their notes ruined anonymously. Is there any similar service available anywhere? Maybe I just lack experience with this kind of functionality.

• 2 weeks later...

Just interested in editable web links, not public. Unfortunately the EN web links open up - but are not editable - even if you are logged in to EN in another tab.

I have dozens of google doc project pages - then I create shortened URLs for each - I can paste these URLs in my calendar, todo manager, contact list notes, etc different places.

Real easy to click on URL and edit project notes. Unfortunately can do in google docs, not EN.

This is a natural function for EN !!!

• Level 5*

Didn't understand that last - if you're logged into EN you can create and edit working links to URLs (as long as you have a web connection) or local files. Short URLs are managed by the creating website, so here work exactly the same as normal URLs. You should be able to click a link to a project note and jump to that note for editing. If you're saying you want to copy the content of that note into EN and edit it there, then yes you can - but the edited version will be in Evernote, not in GDocs. More background please?

I would like to be able to generate private (not shared), editable (not just readable) URLs to a specific note in EN -- and be editable from Windows, iPad, and iPhone.

If I generate URL from Windows client - the URL is not editable.

If I generate URL from Web client - the URL is editable on PC - but not editable from iPad or iPhone (it shows an "edit pencil" - but is not editable for me)

Any way to do this ? Like everyone, more and more of my access is from a smartphone or tablet.

I can do this with google docs (boo !!!) - rather use EN - but I can generate a private, editable google doc URL that I can paste in various places and programs and quickly get to an editable note that is accessible from many programs (Calendar, Address book, spreadsheet, etc) on PC, iPad, and iPhone.

If this were doable, it would make EN much more helpful for me and integrated with my other programs.

Thanks for your help !

Archived