(Archived) 3.1.2 doesn't remember keychain permission

RobertF57

Idea

This morning I allowed Evernote for Mac to upgrade itself to the latest release, v. 3.1.2. Ever since the upgrade, each time I start Evernote, I get the pop-up window, "Evernote wants to use your confidential information... in your keychain." message even if I click the "Always Allow" button.

Is this a bug?

Thanks.

29 replies to this idea

I found a fix, though I don't think it's ideal. But saves the annoyances (at least temporarily) until a real fix comes down the pike.

1. Start "Keychain Access" (click on the spotlight icon, then enter "Keychain Access"; click on the application that appears in the spotlight menu)

2. In the Search bar in the upper right of the Keychain Access window, search for "evernote."

3. One of the results should be the Evernote Application password. Double click on this entry.

4. Select the 'Access Control' tab.

5. At the top of the window, select 'Allow all applications to access this item.'

6. Click 'Save Changes' button.

7. close and reopen evernote with glee!

cheers,

A

ARRGGGGGG. Although I may be mistaken, I thought someone, maybe from Evernote, recommended deleting and re-installing Evernote to fix the problem. Well, I just did and that did not solve the problem. What's even worse is that all of my notes that I had in Courier 14-pt are now in Couries 13-pt which I do not want. I'm also experiencing problems with bulleting. (Note: I just found that I needed to change the default font in Preferences)

Evernote is reeeeallly starting to piss me off and I'm looking around for alternatives. When you come to rely so heavily on an application, it has to be more stable than this.

I have three Evernote passwords in the Keychain. One of them lists 15 different Evernote applications, and the other two list an application called "Evernote 2" that has the generic document icon, not the Evernote icon, next to it. I added Evernote to the list of allowed applications for the two passwords that didn't have it, but the problem is still occurring.

Seconded, this is NOT a fix nor is it a good idea as a workaround.

As I originally noted on June 10th, you can do the "Allow All Applications access" checkbox in Keychain, but this is not a good solution. This will allow any application or process access to the Evernote item (meaning, your Evernote password) in the Keychain. Not good for security. Also, as I already noted, when EN launches with this setting it doesn't launch entirely properly and is put to the background (not brought to the foreground). That means something is still wrong with the launch/security auth process.

Separately: The logs are stored in ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/Logs/ But there are also some EN related items that appear in another console log. So when I sent my logs to Support, I copied them from the Console (from the EN log and from All Messages [using "evernote" as search term].

I found a fix, though I don't think it's ideal. But saves the annoyances (at least temporarily) until a real fix comes down the pike.

5. At the top of the window, select 'Allow all applications to access this item.'

Fixed !!!

That is so not a fix. It's exchanging a bug to a security hole.

BTW, why is the Activity Log always empty? It used to be full of debug info. It seems like ~/Library/Logs/Evernote is also not used anymore... why not?

I'm running OS X 10.6.8

Evernote Version 3.1.2 (257203)

edit: Perhaps of relevance: I'm running a multiuser system. My normal user account does not have admin rights.

Fixed !!!

1. Start "Keychain Access" (click on the spotlight icon, then enter "Keychain Access"; click on the application that appears in the spotlight menu)

2. In the Search bar in the upper right of the Keychain Access window, search for "evernote."

3. One of the results should be the Evernote Application password. Double click on this entry.

4. Select the 'Access Control' tab.

6. Click 'Save Changes' button.

7. close and reopen evernote with glee!

cheers,

A

• Level 5

For those with Keychain problems, try this:

2. From the "Keychain Access" application menu, select "Keychain First Aid"
  3. In the dialog that appears, enter your Mac account password, leave the dialog button on "Verify", and click the start button
  4. If any problems are reported, go through the same process but select "Repair" rather than "Verify", and please update Customer Support about whether that did or did not resolve the problem

Note: before you post results here, make sure you're not posting sensitive information :)

dlu

Also I have the same problem of mindlgap: I have three instances of the Evernote application added to the Keychain list, and all have different 'Account' information:

#1, date 26-MAR-2012, Account: <user>

#2, date 21_MAY-2012, Account:<user>/Evernote

#3, today, Account: 43285/Evernote

Perhaps this information can be useful to find the source of the problem...

dlu

Please file support tickets and send in Activity Logs under Help >> Activity Logs...

We'll aggregate the data and we'll be taking a look at it

As I say two weeks ago ( Ticket # 16051-105617), the activity log is empty. No trace of the problem there...

Follow the suggestions of the support team about uninstall and reinstall the app do not resolve the problem, as mindlgap says in previous post...

That's probably a separate issue. We're still trying to figure out why it happens, but it's a bit more guesswork since the activity logs are our main diagnosis tool

dlu

Please file support tickets and send in Activity Logs under Help >> Activity Logs...

We'll aggregate the data and we'll be taking a look at it

As I say two weeks ago ( Ticket # 16051-105617), the activity log is empty. No trace of the problem there...

Follow the suggestions of the support team about uninstall and reinstall the app do not resolve the problem, as mindlgap says in previous post...

• Level 5*

If anyone who has posted in the thread has files a support request, then probably it's on some Evernote staffer's radar screen. As this is a user forum, and not an official support forum, there's no guarantee that posts here will trigger Evernote action (though they often do).

Same here. I even deleted the Evernote entry from the keychain, opened EN, re-authenticated in EN. But it still prompts me when reopening EN.

Same here.

Version 3.1.2 (257203) on 10.6.8.

Same version, same OS.

Every time you launch EN, get the keychain error, and click "always allow", a new instance of the Evernote application is added to the Keychain list of Always Allow Apps (it should only add it once and then be fine from then on).

This applies to me, too.

Before upgrading to EN 3.1.2 I'd been running EN 2.2.2 on 10.5.8, and had no problems. I recently upgraded my OS from 10.5.8 to 10.6.8, and subsequently let EN upgrade itself to 3.1.2.

Same here. I even deleted the Evernote entry from the keychain, opened EN, re-authenticated in EN. But it still prompts me when reopening EN.

Version 3.1.2 (257203) on 10.6.8.

I updated to this version from within the App, so maybe that's the problem. If we have to reinstall, then why bother having "automatic updates" built in to the App if it doesn't work properly.

Update: I re-installed (deleted app, downloaded app, installed) and I still have the same problem.

Update 2: Every time you launch EN, get the keychain error, and click "always allow", a new instance of the Evernote application is added to the Keychain list of Always Allow Apps (it should only add it once and then be fine from then on).

Note that if you "Allow all applications" (in Keychain item for Evernote), the prompt no longer appears upon launch, but then anything on your computer has access to the EN Keychain item (not so good for security). Also if you do the Allow All in keychain: When EN launches, the EN window stays in the background. So clearly there is a bug of some kind going on.

I have the same problem, and in two iMac's (Homa & Work), with the 3.1.2 RC and with the final release too. So I think that the problem is in the Evernote side.

I asked the support team and they said to me that I must uninstall and reinstall EN, but I have not done yet.

Archived