HOWTO: Insert local file hyperlink?

• Level 5*

Darn. I knew that.. Depends on the OS of course. If you're in Windows it's easy - find the file in Windows Explorer, shift+right click; look for 'copy as a path' and paste the path into your Ctrl-K window with "file:///" - without the quotation marks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Level 5*

Here's an even better way on the Mac, using a Mac Automator Service.

See Copy file or folder path to the clipboard in Mac OS X Lion

Then, after you have the file path on your clipboard (from above), do this in your Evernote Note:

1. select the text you want to use for the link,
  2. press CMD+K,
  3. enter "file://" and then
  4. paste (CMD+V).
  5. Click "OK"

You should end up with the link looking something like "file:///Users/<YourMacLoginName>/Documents/MyFile.pdf"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • 4 months later...

You guys have solved a big mystery for me. Thanks.

I have EN on my Windows machine now and intend to install it on my Mac as well. I expect to have some confusion about which machine the link is for and I'm thinking that those of us using both systems need to remember to label those links "Windows" or "Mac" before or after the link in the note.

Then I imagine getting into the issue of whether to copy and paste what I need access to on both machines, and how to make sure I get changes to origina files when I change in EN, and...and...and... What we really need is a single platform, guys. Do you think that will happen in our lifetimes?

• Level 5*

What we really need is a single platform, guys. Do you think that will happen in our lifetimes?

As soon as we have a single soft drink, a single car maker, or a single ice cream flavor!

Personally, I enjoy the variety, and if you think about it, the profusion of OSs and devices created the market for Evernote to come into existence and thrive. Few people would say the Evernote app is the best notetaking app on their respective OS or device, but even fewer would say there is a better notetaking app on every OS/device :) OneNote, for example, is arguably one of the best notetaking apps ever made (I don't actually think so for my use case, but I respect the product). However, it is laughable outside of its native OS of Windows. In fact, Evernote is as much a platform as an app these days, so it has morphed into something that is quite a bit more powerful than just the sum of its parts.

Unfortunately, some amount of discrepancy and divergence will come with the market niche Evernote has created, but hopefully we will see efforts to minimize this in the coming years.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Darn. I knew that.. Depends on the OS of course. If you're in Windows it's easy - find the file in Windows Explorer, shift+right click; look for 'copy as a path' and paste the path into your Ctrl-K window with "file:///" - without the quotation marks.

Any way to make this work in Windows XP?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Don't have an XP machine to remind myself of the 'official' procedure, but I had a work-around when I needed a link for a different purpose - open a spreadsheet and set up a link from a cell to the file; then copy the full path, which shows up neatly in the dialogue box.

I think in XP you could go to ~tools ~folder options in explorer and choose 'display full path in the address bar' on the ~view tab. You can then copy and paste the path - but you have to type or c&p the file name separately.

Edit: Memo to self: search before enter.. Had a look in my search engine of choice and it says drag and drop the file into your Run dialogue window. You can cut and paste the full path from there. Doh.

Don't have an XP machine to remind myself of the 'official' procedure, but I had a work-around when I needed a link for a different purpose - open a spreadsheet and set up a link from a cell to the file; then copy the full path, which shows up neatly in the dialogue box.

I think in XP you could go to ~tools ~folder options in explorer and choose 'display full path in the address bar' on the ~view tab. You can then copy and paste the path - but you have to type or c&p the file name separately.

Edit: Memo to self: search before enter.. Had a look in my search engine of choice and it says drag and drop the file into your Run dialogue window. You can cut and paste the full path from there. Doh.

Both ways work! Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
...insert a link into a note to route it to a video taken on the phone

Welcome to the forums.

I don't believe it's possible to create a link to a video which will play it from the home screen, much less put such a link into another app to run it from there. You could add the video to the note and play it from there.. (depending on the size, and whether you have a free or prem account)

...insert a link into a note to route it to a video taken on the phone

Welcome to the forums.

I don't believe it's possible to create a link to a video which will play it from the home screen, much less put such a link into another app to run it from there. You could add the video to the note and play it from there.. (depending on the size, and whether you have a free or prem account)

Thanks for the welcome and information. I tried what you suggested before, and that 5 second clip hit a quarter of my monthly quota already, lol.

I could get premium, but I just thought there would be a way to do this first. But even with premium, I don't think I can upload that many videos anyway.

• Level 5*

:)  Sorry for the extra traffic - that was the only way I could think of to link Evernote and your video.  Outside Evernote you could look to setting up a link in your home page which opens your video software,  then browse to the file from there - and have a look at 'share' when you open the video player itself in case you can post a link to it into Evernote.  I don't think it will be possible yet,  but as Android develops it may be part of an upgrade at some stage...

:)  Sorry for the extra traffic - that was the only way I could think of to link Evernote and your video.  Outside Evernote you could look to setting up a link in your home page which opens your video software,  then browse to the file from there - and have a look at 'share' when you open the video player itself in case you can post a link to it into Evernote.  I don't think it will be possible yet,  but as Android develops it may be part of an upgrade at some stage...

True, but in this case, I am using Evernote in conjunction with Revunote, so I thought this would be the ultimate way to learn languages. My original dream was to use video for spaced repetition, but looks like it's becoming a pipe dream.
  • 3 weeks later...

Why is this so complicated?  Why can they simply add a "Browse" option to the hyperlink dialog?   Worst than that, you can't even rename the bloody link to something more readable.

This is a pretty simple feature that is used a lot, it should NOT be this complicated.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Why is this so complicated?  Why can they simply add a "Browse" option to the hyperlink dialog?   Worst than that, you can't even rename the bloody link to something more readable.

This is a pretty simple feature that is used a lot, it should NOT be this complicated.

Why is what so complicated?  JMichael gave a four-line guide higher up this thread which includes embedding a hyperlink behind any text of your choice.  If you explain what you're interested in doing maybe we can be more specific.

This is 4 lines too many.  In other similar applications, when you select hyperlink, you get a browse option.  You select the file or the site, give it a Title to replace the hyperlink and press ok. I should not have to switch out of the application to find the file nor learn control sequences.

I am afraid this particular feature of Evernote fails the embarrassment test.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I'm sure an improvement is on a list somewhere,  but with Evernote there's a lot of scope for additional (or more elegant) features.  Considering what this product looked like even 24 months ago,  I'm sure they'll get around to improving this.

• 1 month later...

I spent quite some time trying to figure this out...finally, a masterful solution:

(BTW, for me the issue is note how to link to large files, but how to link to any files that I'll be constantly updating...thus I don't want attachments)

1. Download the app "PathSnagger" (depending on OSX ver, might need to download Beta. ML ver working fine for me)
  2. After installing, st the Path style to "POSIX" and the Prefix to auto insert "file://" (without quotes of course)
  3. From then on all you have to do is right click the folder, app, file and use context menu "Snag Path"
  4. Then past the link using command-k within evernote!
  5. Easy smeezy!

Power User tip:  You can even link to applications and create launchpads, etc. --cool!

Enjoy!

-Leif

www.SparkInteraction.com

www.WheelWidget.com

• Level 5*

In Windows (Vista & 7) there's a shortcut to get the full path of a file.  Hold SHIFT and right-click,  then choose "copy as a path" for the full C:\etc path to the file.  Tie that in with AHK or a text expander and you could automate the whole process pretty smoothly... a hotkey could allow you to highlight a word in a note and replace it with file:// plus the content of clipboard.

• 3 months later...

Here's an idea, maybe not that elegant but seems to work (on my pc of course, not transferable to mobile devices). Simply create a shortcut and copy the shortcut file into your note. Bingo it works.

I have tried hyperlinks, ie the file:\\\ etc story but have found that some of them work but after a while they somehow stop working, not sure if their integrity is compromised when working on my ipad.

• 3 months later...

If I have a file open, select some text and press Win+A, then it is pasted to Evernote - with the file link automatically included.

In similar manner to a file name not able to include any of these characters     ?  *  \  /  :  <  >  |  &  #  "   

• Can't use      &      in file name of Evernote link (link fails) or OneNote section name.
  • Can use      #      in file name of Evernote link, but not in OneNote section name.
  • Can use       ,  +       in file name of Evernote link, but OneNote section name converts them to     _     .
I set up all my computers with the same user name, and put all files in Dropbox, ie so that all links are to  C:\Users\MyUserName\Dropbox\DirectoryName\FileName
and so the Evernote link works on all computers.
  • Like 2
  • 4 months later...

when i "copy as path" and paste the link, i can not click on the path to open file.

when i create a shortcut as Contlmprovement suggested, i now have a clickable link but instead of opening the file, my computer wants to download it :/

i may implement nro's idea in the future.

• 1 month later...

when i "copy as path" and paste the link, i can not click on the path to open file.

when i create a shortcut as Contlmprovement suggested, i now have a clickable link but instead of opening the file, my computer wants to download it :/

i may implement nro's idea in the future.

You need to hit "Cmd. + K" to create the link, NOT just paste the link.

FYI: I'm on a Mac, and the shortcut ("alias") did not work for me, either.

I also found another way to find the file location (on a Mac):

1) Type Cmd. + i (i as in "iceberg"), to reach the "Get Info" window.

2) About 4 lines down in the window, copy the file location from the "Where" row. A sample file location looks like: "/Users/sampleusername/Documents/2014/work_mileage_2014"

3)Paste that file location after "file://" to create something that looks like "file:///Users/sampleusername/Documents/2014/work_mileage_2014". It doesn't appear to need the file type (in my case, an Excel file). FYI: you end up with three forward-slashes after "file:".

4) Open Evernote and click "Cmd. + K" to create a link. Pasting the link (Cmd. + V) will not work.

5) FYI #2: this method doesn't show the full location if your file is on your desktop. In that case, enter the file name after "/Users/sampleusername/Desktop". Though I don't recommend having files permanently live on your desktop (they clutter your desktop and use up processing power), so I'd put them in a folder first, for better file management.

-end

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

2) About 4 lines down in the window, copy the file location from the "Where" row. A sample file location looks like: "/Users/sampleusername/Documents/2014/work_mileage_2014"

While that will work, it's a bit laborious.  For those that need to do this often or want a simpler method, see:

Copy file or folder path to the clipboard in Mac OS X Lion

I use this and it works well.

While that will work, it's a bit laborious.  For those that need to do this often or want a simpler method, see:

Copy file or folder path to the clipboard in Mac OS X Lion

I use this and it works well.

Thanks, JMichael. I'll try it out!

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Very useful thread, but I'm disappointed Evernote just won't do for what I want. However I have found another option some might find useful.

My aim was to create links to lots of my local documents so that I could tag them and add a few notes as to their contents and purpose. I have lots of documents containing ideas, research, strategies, projects etc. As there is quite a bit of cross-over between many of them I can't just divide them up into neat categories with folders, and it would be great to have a way to instantly have a list of all the files relevant to any topic I want to work on. Tags are essential, and I wish they were integrated into Windows - many years ago Microsoft suddenly dumped a major project for an intelligent file system, Windows FS, that would have done something like this. In fact Apple seems to have just added something called Mavericks to its operating system that allows something similar.

For me these are working files that evolve, so it's no good dumping them into EN as attachments. But creating a separate link by hand for each file is ridiculous - there are far too many, and new ones being created too. I need a way of easily creating a database of what my documents contain and are for, and I really wanted EN to be it, because it's already my main system for organising stuff. Sadly it's completely ignoring what could be a really powerful and widely useful feature.

However there's another fairly new utility that does such tagging with a really well thought out workflow. And it has just added a feature to keep the tags synchronised to any files kept in Dropbox, so that you can truly use the tags anywhere you are. It's free (for personal) desktop software called Tabbles, with cloud synch. You can drag and drop multiple files into 'tabbles' which are a cross between virtual folders and tags. The files aren't stored separately or attached, only linked to. Whenever you save a file in other software it pops up a tagging window, making it easy to build an up-to-date system.

The one big fly in the ointment at the moment is that it loses track of files, and hence their tags, if you move them around your disk with Windows. It does provide its own file manager to get round this, but you have to remember to only use that way of moving files that are tagged. But Windows File Explorer does overlay an icon onto all files that have tags, to alert you. They are busily adding features still, so perhaps this will be better integrated eventually.

I hope this is useful for others - or perhaps you have a better solution?

• 1 month later...

I store copies of client medical records on my hard drive as pdfs, and I don't want to upload those docs to EN as notes; instead, I'd like to create a note that links to the local pdf;

I think gazumped answered that question in response in the forum, but his response was a little terse, at least for me; I'm wondering if he could provide a little more info regarding what he means by " 'copy as a path' and paste the path into your Ctrl-K window with "file:///" - without the quotation marks."

I got the "copy as path" part (what a surprise, I didn't know Win did that), but not sure about the rest of it;

TIA . . 

David Rowell

Fresno CA

• Level 5*

Hi.  That trick works for me anyway - the idea is to get the file path and add  file:/// to the beginning;  so for a file called Capture.JPG on my desktop where the path is "c:/users/<myname>/Desktop/Capture.jpg"  I create a string "file:///c:/users/<myname>/Desktop/Capture.jpg" then click in the note to select the body and Ctrl-K to insert a link.  Paste the string and you're done. 

Of course you could always just right click the file,  create a shortcut and drag/ drop the shortcut into your note...

I really love the possibility of linking to an external file. But in my computer, since the last update (EN 5.6.2 with OS X Yosemite 10.10), these type of links doesn't work. The Internet links are working fine.

Is anyone facing the same situation? Do you have an idea on how the deal? 

Thank you in advance. Kind regards. 

Nicolas
  • Level 5*

In the latest versions of Evernote for Macs this ability to link to files seems to have been blocked "for security reasons" - Evernote staff have promised to return the feature in a future release,  with an added security warning.

There is a faster way for windows 8. Just shift + right click on the local file you want to link, click copy as a path, then go to Evernote, highlight the text you want to be the link, then erase the "http:///" default start, and paste the link created for the local file. Then, just erase the quotations ("), both the ones from the end and the beginning of the link, then click OK and thats it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

For me in Mac 5.7.2 the links are working,  but they reveal the file in finder rather than opening the file. Very frustrating.

gazumped, Do you have a link to a thread or blog post where they said it was security reasons?

Of course, we still need a better way to add them also. With  tonykambo's suggestion of Cmd-Opt-drop being a great idea.

In the latest versions of Evernote for Macs this ability to link to files seems to have been blocked "for security reasons" - Evernote staff have promised to return the feature in a future release,  with an added security warning.

• Level 5*

Do you have a link to a thread or blog post where they said it was security reasons?

Here it is:

In the EN Mac 5.6 Beta 10 thread, Jack disclosed that links to internal files would no longer be allowed.

There were a number of strong objections to this unannounced change.

mwoerner: We've blocked links to local files to fix a security vulnerability. A malicious user could otherwise create a note with a file link that points to a local application rather than a document. If they share that with another user and convince the user to click the link, the user may end up unexpectedly running a program on their local machine. We're sorry that this change is negatively affecting you. We realize that some of our users will no longer be able to open local files that aren't directly attached to a note, but feel that protecting our users from this attack vector is important enough to make the change. Any files that you attach directly to the note will not be affected by the change.

Jack, you guys need to figure out some other way of protecting against this.  A lot of us use file links because Evernote Cloud is not secure enough for sensitive documents.  Another use case is linking to very large files that you don't want to sync.

• 2 months later...

This earlier post really worked well for me, but then I got a note saying that Continuing could execute harmful code on your computer. Are you sure you want to do this?  After seeing the last post, I realised this seems to just be a security measure to keep me from opening a malicious link.  I think the link would communicate this better by saying something like, "Sure you want to open this file?  Could be malWare, so watch out if you don't know what this file opens."

Anyway I opened the file CAUSE IT IS MINE, and it works great!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I accidentally managed to create a link in EN to my local file which doesn't require inserting it in the text of a note itself (it is in the header, next to the dates when the file was created/updated). When I was trying to find any description of this feature (unsuccessfully), I found this forum and since I didn't see the way I did it mentioned here, I want to share it with you. It is possible that it actually was already mentioned before. I just didn't really have time to read all the threads. Thus I apologize if I'm spamming. 

I created the link the following way:

I marked some text in a note (holding left click and swiping over the text) and shifted it within the note. When I dropped the text, next to "updated date" appeared a window with "file:///". They you can just edit it and copy the path of your file. I noticed that this works only with created notes, as clipped notes have in this field already the website from which it was clipped. 

I hope this helps. If you have any idea how to do the same just by clicking on some button in EN, please share.

• 9 months later...

i would slighty modify JMichaels suggestion:

[...] Then, after you have the file path on your clipboard (from above), do this in your Evernote Note:

• select the text you want to use for the link,
  • press CMD+K,
  • enter "file://" and then
  • paste (CMD+V).
  • Click "OK"

and in

4. drag & drop the file or folder into the appearing (hyper)link-sheet / dialog (at least on Mac OS)

(instead of pasting the file path, which previously somehow got copied)

i second thehowlerrs recommendation of adding a "browse" option (which again would be capable of receiving a drag as well, at least on Mac OS) in the (hyper)link-sheet / dialog

this would also greatly simplify linking to an email-message (instead of embedding a copy of the email-message)

Why is what so complicated?  JMichael gave a four-line guide higher up this thread which includes embedding a hyperlink behind any text of your choice.  If you explain what you're interested in doing maybe we can be more specific.

and yes: the 4 (or 5)-line guide given by JMichael should — in my humble opinion — only be a temporary workaround, not a permanent solution

users are not too good at remembering completely different workflows for apparently similiar tasks (line linking to a local file vs to a local email message etc)

• Level 5*

and yes: the 4 (or 5)-line guide given by JMichael should — in my humble opinion — only be a temporary workaround, not a permanent solution

users are not too good at remembering completely different workflows for apparently similiar tasks (line linking to a local file vs to a local email message etc)

The process for adding a file hyperlink is identical to adding a web page hyperlink.

In both cases you have to either type or paste or drag-drop the actual link from somewhere (the source).

So, sorry, but I don't see anything different, complicated, or confusing about this.

BTW, thanks for pointing out the option for drag-drop.

The process for adding a file hyperlink is identical to adding a web page hyperlink.

In both cases you have to either type or paste or drag-drop the actual link from somewhere (the source).

So, sorry, but I don't see anything different, complicated, or confusing about this.

i was talking about the similarities of (adding) a link to a local file and (adding) a link to a local email message (that is: stuff that does not have an easily accessible "address" and which therefor might be easier to "address" by browsing/navigating to it and then selecting it, eg by drag & drop) -- and not (adding) a link to a web page aka "web page hyperlink" (which in contrast & by its very self does have an address, which is very easy for the user to access)

• 2 months later...

Best way (in my opinion) for PC. Mentioned by ContImprovement.

1. Create your Note

2. Find your file using any iteration of Win Explorer

3. Right click on the file

4. Click on "Create Shortcut" (near the bottom of menu)

5. If desired : "Rename" shortcut to any meaningful name as you want it to appear in your note

6. Drag & drop newly created shortcut in your note.

The resulting fully functional link is a very nice looking 3d shadowed rectangular box containing the Shortcuts name.

This sounds like a long drawn out process but it is really very simple, intuitive (after initial conception) and fairly quick to carry out.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, ljbailey said:

The resulting fully functional link is a very nice looking 3d shadowed rectangular box containing the Shortcuts name.

Actually this is NOT an actual hyperlink.  It is an attachment that you can double-click on to open the file.  If this is what you want, then you're done.  But if you want a real hyperlink, you will need to look elsewhere.

You can get the file path in Windows Explorer, but it is not formatted correctly.  IMO, if you need this often, then it may be worthwhile to get one of these tools if you are a Windows user:

Using one of these you should be able to select the file, and the macro will get the file name and path, convert to URL, and create the link in EN Win.

These tools also provide lots of other useful features.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
14 hours ago, noricollins said:

Online File Storage - Need Suggestions

Hello, i need your suggestions for online storage i have more than 20GB data and i need a reliable sorce to save all my data online

I have been using DropBox for years, and highly recommend it.  It offers:

• Selective Sync
  • Version and Deletion History for 30 days (more if you want to pay for it)
  • Very fast sync
  • Syncs across all devices
  • Level 5*
On 2017-05-17 at 3:26 AM, noricollins said:

Online File Storage - Need Suggestions

Hello, i need your suggestions for online storage i have more than 20GB data and i need a reliable sorce to save all my data online currently i am using "Furious Blue"

Can you explain your requirements?

I'm using Apple iCloud.  There are various mainstream alternatives: Google Drive, Dropbox etc

Evernote itself is a form of online storage

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, noricollins said:

Hello, i need your suggestions for online storage i have more than 20GB data and i need a reliable sorce to save all my data online

In addition to DropBox you can look at Google Drive and Mega.  Mega provides zero knowledge encryption with a 50GB free program, but does not have the level of application integration of DropBox and Google Drive.  It also is not as large as the other two.  

Personally, I use DropBox for integrated file work (just drop a link into an EN note), Google for pictures, and Mega for more standard backup and Videos.  YMMV.  

• 4 weeks later...

T His has been very useful guys, but I have an additional question. I would like to be able to share the note on which I have the local links. I know that the paths would be equally accessible to my colleagues since we're all on the same server. However, when I am sharing an Evernote page with them via URL, any local file link in the note does note open. They work on my local evernote, but not when shared. Any idea why that is? Thanks !

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, ADA said:

However, when I am sharing an Evernote page with them via URL, any local file link in the note does note open. They work on my local evernote, but not when shared. Any idea why that is?

Can you give an actual example of these file links?

The format is important so as to allow shared access

• 5 months later...

On one of my Macs (both running MacOS 10.31.1 and EN 6.13) I can copy/paste and open a file path.

On the other I get this message:

<The application “Evernote” does not have permission to open “COA Finance Agenda 11.14.2017.docx.”>

Any ideas on how to give Evernote permission>?

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Steve Lytle said:

<The application “Evernote” does not have permission to open “COA Finance Agenda 11.14.2017.docx.”>

Any ideas on how to give Evernote permission>?

Where is the file stored?5a0ccd30362af_ScreenShot2017-11-15at15_24_38.thumb.png.836443053000299b4664ecfa849d3a68.png

Macs have a "home" folder concept for each user.  A user would not have permission to open files in the home folder of another user 

You can mess around with setting permissions, but better to use a shared folder

The image shows uses info in finder to show permissions

The file sharing & permissions for all files are the same on both Macs.

So that I don't confuse the issue, let me say it this way: The Macs are identical in setup, both running same versions of MacOS, EN and Google Drive. On one Mac ANY finder filepath can be opened from within EN, on the other Mac NO finder filepath can be opened from within EN.

Ideas?

Thanks a lot. That explains why it didn't work for me. I have the App Store version.

I tried it again now, and in EN version 6.13 (455674) App Store version it works fine for me. Both with files and folders.

• 9 months later...

Steve Lytle and ColD seem to be right: Apps from the App Store are sandboxed (they need to be)

As Graham Miln explained in 2014: "This means such an application has been code signed with a set of entitlements. These entitlements are being enforced by macOS. Apple's developer documentation on sandboxing provides more detail."

You can view Evernotes' sandbox entitlements using the following Terminal.app command:

codesign --display --entitlements - /Applications/Evernote.app

The sandbox limitation means that you can't open an arbitrary file on the file system from Evernote, without explicitly giving Evernote the permission first (eg by dragging the file into the app or by attaching a file). This permission seems to get forgotten once you have quitted the sandboxed Evernote.

The non-App store version does not currently have such limitations (but maybe in the not so distant future?)

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Would be great to have the ability to link to local files/folders restored sooner rather than later for V10.  This is a pretty rudimentary capability that I, and I am sure many other users have relied on in prior versions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A solution that works, and might even be simpler anyways, is to create a shortcut in Windows explorer, and copy and paste it into your Evernote.  That still works.

Still, the ol´file:///.... option,  is something that would indeed be handy to have implemented (again ;-), if only so we have more control over how we enter our information.

Cheers,

Grant

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
On 1/22/2021 at 10:32 PM, DTLow said:

The Version 10 product currently doesn't support local file links
We expect/hope this to get resolved

Add my voice to the chorus of people who think that an upgrade should be better than the previous version, not worse; more functional, not less.

This wouldn't be so bad, but as in version 9, Evernote does a poor job syncing files saved directly in the note. In the last few week, I've had at least 3 instances of losing edits to Excel files saved in a note -- which is to say, when I come back to the note an hour or a day later and reopen the file in the EN note, I notice that my edits from the previous work session are not reflected in the file saved in the note). I understand that syncing files while they're being edited is tricky, and sometimes there are timing quirks that lead to a failure (though it's not clear how this can happen, since v.10 won't let me open a note till EN has spun a green circle long enough to copy out the contents of the note by hand!). However, EN should have a robust system for catching file save-and-sync errors and reporting them immediately to the user, to avoid unnoticed data loss.

(Please, don't anyone tell me that I can find the unsynced file deep in EN's mysterious folder structure. I know how to do that and have been saved from genuine data loss multiple times. But why use a program like EN if you end up having to use Finder to find the latest version of your file?)

Edited by viverechristus
First draft was too rude.
  • Level 5

EN v10 does not support opening and working on a file, then saving it back to the old note yet.

If you need this function, install the legacy client.

AFAIK this deficit has to do with the underlying framework, into which EN is embedded. In the old client the communication was EN-OS-app. With the framework it is EN-FW-OS-app, creating an additional layer in between. I am quite unhappy about this as well. We will have to wait and see when this gets „up“graded to the level it was before.

• Level 5

AFAIK there is no v9. All new clients are v10.something (currently 10.19 on desktop, 10.15 on mobile).

Legacy is 6.25 on Windows, 7.14 on Max and 8.something on Android. No iOS legacy (not necessary, the new app is better than anything before).

8 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

AFAIK there is no v9. All new clients are v10.something (currently 10.19 on desktop, 10.15 on mobile).

Legacy is 6.25 on Windows, 7.14 on Max and 8.something on Android. No iOS legacy (not necessary, the new app is better than anything before).

Thanks. I never looked at the version number of what I used to use, so I thought there must be something closer to 10 than 7 is. (My 3-year-old counts like that, too -- you never know which number is coming next!)

• Haha 1
  • Level 5

We all got used to EN not counting releases up at all, or if, then at glacial speed  🧊

Not any more: Since the release of v10, there is appr. 1 release every 3-4 weeks. And they release most clients at the same time, and with nearly the same features. Not any more loathing the "other" fraction of the IT world   🤯  because they got what your computer didn't get. We even had the first "feature" requests to stop the permanent updating 🐌

6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

EN v10 does not support opening and working on a file, then saving it back to the old note yet.

If you need this function, install the legacy client.

AFAIK this deficit has to do with the underlying framework, into which EN is embedded. In the old client the communication was EN-OS-app. With the framework it is EN-FW-OS-app, creating an additional layer in between. I am quite unhappy about this as well. We will have to wait and see when this gets „up“graded to the level it was before.

On my windows EN, opening, changing and saving back does work flawlessly for word and pdf files.

Edit: it works for jpg files as well. So I wouldn't be surprised that it works for all file types...

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
6 hours ago, Thorz said:

Great thread. Thank you all!

Looks like local links are working ok on v10.27.5 on the Mac.

Great,  this seems to work on windows as well now. This might be a solution to keep confidential content on your local disk now,  as a work around   for the abandoned local notebook feature 🙂