How to organize notes in a structure with lots of levels?

JeromeB.

Hi,

i have a problem i can not find a solution.

In the organization of my knowledges (and only knowledges, no stuff like "to do"), i need a way of sorting my stuff with lots of levels, i mean

knowledge A

a.
  • first
  • second

b.

c.

knowledge B

ETC.

Notebooks NOR tags allow me to set up my stuff with lots of levels as i need : both only accept 2 levels, but i need something deeper.

Hope i'am understandable :-)

Any ideas/tips how i could build something like that?

any help appreciated.

Jérôme.

Tags allow you to organize into more than two levels. I'm not sure there is a limit, but I found at least one place where I had four levels down of tags.

Even if you had no ability to set tags in levels you could encode levels in the tag name. So you could have a tag "Animal-vertebrate-mammal-feline-lion" This would allow you to do wildcard searches for whatever detail you wanted.

• Level 5*

Hi,

i have a problem i can not find a solution.

In the organization of my knowledges (and only knowledges, no stuff like "to do"), i need a way of sorting my stuff with lots of levels, i mean

knowledge A

a.
  • first
  • second

b.

c.

knowledge B

ETC.

Notebooks NOR tags allow me to set up my stuff with lots of levels as i need : both only accept 2 levels, but i need something deeper.

Hope i'am understandable :-)

Any ideas/tips how i could build something like that?

any help appreciated.

Jérôme.

Hi. It is impossible to have deeply nested tags or notebooks in Evernote at this time. That said, I think there are all sorts of workarounds, some of which you might actually find superior to the conventional system of nested notebooks.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/25235-request-multiple-notebook-levels/page__p__133734#entry133734

Thx everybody, i just found out that i could put many levels of tags under one tag, well more than 1.

I didn't see it before :/

I am gonna use this, but more and more, i am thinking about setting up my stuff with Windows old folders, via Dropbox, of course :)

• 6 months later...

Check out Workflowy.com

It does exactly what you are looking for.

Definitely look into CheckVist, which imo is way better than workflowy. Both, however, are way better than the organization currently implement in EN. If EN's side bar was replaced with an editable outline structure it would dominate evenmore of the productivity market.

Archived