mikestrong19

web REQUEST: Evernote-Google Drive sync

21 posts in this topic

Is there a way to sync Evernote to Google Drive? Ideally, it would be through an Evernote Google Drive app. I haven't found anything, but ideally, Evernote notes would save in Google Drive and could be opened from Google Drive. Once clicked on in Google Drive, the note would open in the Evernote UI. When the note is saved, it syncs/saves in Google Drive. In essence, it would work exactly like current Google Drive apps (LucidChart, SlideRocket, etc.) Is this possible or is a Google Drive app in the works? If not, count this as a suggestion

Is there a way to sync Evernote to Google Drive? Ideally, it would be through an Evernote Google Drive app. I haven't found anything, but ideally, Evernote notes would save in Google Drive and could be opened from Google Drive. Once clicked on in Google Drive, the note would open in the Evernote UI. When the note is saved, it syncs/saves in Google Drive. In essence, it would work exactly like current Google Drive apps (LucidChart, SlideRocket, etc.) Is this possible or is a Google Drive app in the works? If not, count this as a suggestion

Hi Mike. Welcome to the forums!

I am unclear about what you are looking to achieve by Google Drive syncing. If you are looking for a backup solution on the cloud, you could use SugarSync (and perhaps others) to designate the Evernote libraries as folders you want to have backed up. This would ensure the security of your data: saved locally, saved on Evernote servers, and saved on SugarSync servers. Perhaps Google Drive will have something like this (maybe Windows users could move their library into their Drive folder?).

If you are looking to be able to work within Google Drive on Evernote stuff, I am not sure how that would be different or better than working within Evernote on Evernote stuff. Basically, you are looking for a Google Drive app?

I guess I don't know enough about Google Drive, or I am just unclear about what you are suggesting. Could you explain it another way for me?

Hi Mike,

cloudHQ have just added support for sync between Evernote and Google Drive - please check it out at: http://cloudHQ.net/evernote

All notes are converted to both Google Docs format and PDF. Of course, all videos, images and other attachments are transfered too (so all your attachments are also available for other products Google ecosystem such as Google+ or Picasa).

The sync is two-way, so you can just edit a note in Google Docs and changes will automatically replicated to Evernote.

There is also a chrome extension which enables you to browse evernote notes directly from a Google Docs interface:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/iobcbdgacfkninlcbphihhdlkobkehia

Thanks,

Senad

Hi Mike,

cloudHQ have just added support for sync between Evernote and Google Drive - please check it out at: http://cloudHQ.net/evernote

All notes are converted to both Google Docs format and PDF. Of course, all videos, images and other attachments are transfered too (so all your attachments are also available for other products Google ecosystem such as Google+ or Picasa).

The sync is two-way, so you can just edit a note in Google Docs and changes will automatically replicated to Evernote.

There is also a chrome extension which enables you to browse evernote notes directly from a Google Docs interface:

Thanks,

Senad

This sounds very interesting. Thanka for posting. I can see some value in possibly being able to work more easily on both environments, but I am not clear on what the benefits of Gdrive sync are

Hi Mike,

Thanks,

Senad

This sounds very interesting. Thanka for posting. I can see some value in possibly being able to work more easily on both environments, but I am not clear on what the benefits of Gdrive sync are

Very good question.

One obvious reason why to sync everything from Evernote with Google Drive is backup and service availability. in order words, don't put all your (cloud) eggs in one basket :). The availability characteristics of cloud services is different so it good have your data saved in multiple places.

For example, companies will sync all Evernote accounts (and Dropbox account) of all their employees into a central Google Docs account for purpose of backup and archiving. Additional to backup, they can use this central Google Docs account to distribute certain forms or documents to all of their employees: they can just drop a document into this central Google Docs account and all employees will receive their own copy of that document as a note in their Evernote account.

Other very common use case is collaboration: people love using Evernote and they use it all the time - however their clients, partners or even coworkers are using different cloud services (MSWord/Google Drive/Dropbox/Box). So sharing Evernote notes via different cloud service is a great productivity boots for many professionals and small companies.

The other reason is document workflow: sometimes documents start as notes, and then they envole into real documents/specification (i.e. Google Docs / MSWord document). But the line between note and document is not a clear cut. So it is good to have your notes/document is in both places...

Thanks,

Senad

Hi Mike,

Thanks,

Senad

Very good question.

One obvious reason why to sync everything from Evernote with Google Drive is backup and service availability. in order words, don't put all your (cloud) eggs in one basket :). The availability characteristics of cloud services is different so it good have your data saved in multiple places.

For example, companies will sync all Evernote accounts (and Dropbox account) of all their employees into a central Google Docs account for purpose of backup and archiving. Additional to backup, they can use this central Google Docs account to distribute certain forms or documents to all of their employees: they can just drop a document into this central Google Docs account and all employees will receive their own copy of that document as a note in their Evernote account.

Other very common use case is collaboration: people love using Evernote and they use it all the time - however their clients, partners or even coworkers are using different cloud services (MSWord/Google Drive/Dropbox/Box). So sharing Evernote notes via different cloud service is a great productivity boots for many professionals and small companies.

The other reason is document workflow: sometimes documents start as notes, and then they envole into real documents/specification (i.e. Google Docs / MSWord document). But the line between note and document is not a clear cut. So it is good to have your notes/document is in both places...

Thanks,

Senad

If I were collaborating, I think I would want to try sharing an Evernote notebook with everyone, and using an external link to a shared document in Google Drive or Dropbox. I don't see the benefits in the conversion... I am still not sure what we would get out of Google Drive syncing, and I wonder what implications it would have for Evernote if it came to be seen as a kind of appendage to Google Drive -- a place to take notes until Google Drive gets up and running with its own notetaking (they dropped it a while back) and/or offline applications. From a marketing and business development perspective, I think Evernote benefits from keeping its service independent and encouraging third-party app developers for this kind of thing.

Things are getting more and more complex. Following your use-case, one could imagine using Sugarsync to backup a file in Evernote that is located in the Dropbox folder, which resides in Google Drive :)

Hi Mike,

Thanks,

Senad

Very good question.

Thanks,

Senad

If I were collaborating, I think I would want to try sharing an Evernote notebook with everyone, and using an external link to a shared document in Google Drive or Dropbox. I don't see the benefits in the conversion... I am still not sure what we would get out of Google Drive syncing, and I wonder what implications it would have for Evernote if it came to be seen as a kind of appendage to Google Drive -- a place to take notes until Google Drive gets up and running with its own notetaking (they dropped it a while back) and/or offline applications. From a marketing and business development perspective, I think Evernote benefits from keeping its service independent and encouraging third-party app developers for this kind of thing.

Things are getting more and more complex. Following your use-case, one could imagine using Sugarsync to backup a file in Evernote that is located in the Dropbox folder, which resides in Google Drive :)

One other reason that someone might want to back up the evernote notes on say google drive would be if their company/organization has blocked access to evernote and it's site. If said person doesn't have a mobile devise that they can use to keep up with their evernote, they could use google drive or drop box (if they aren't blocked as well) to update their notes.

Chris

I want google drive to be treated as an Evernote device. In essence, store my notes on google drive so that when Im working in google docs I have an easy way to access any notes I've written. Does that make sense?

"I want google drive to be treated as an Evernote device. In essence, store my notes on google drive so that when Im working in google docs I have an easy way to access any notes I've written. Does that make sense?"

Your best bet may simply be to go into Google Drive, and to click "Download Google Drive For PC" - not exactly what you are asking for precisely, but it is a pc-based program that will give you access to your Google Drive content...and you could also move your Evernote content onto Google Drive...

"I want google drive to be treated as an Evernote device. In essence, store my notes on google drive so that when Im working in google docs I have an easy way to access any notes I've written. Does that make sense?"

Your best bet may simply be to go into Google Drive, and to click "Download Google Drive For PC" - not exactly what you are asking for precisely, but it is a pc-based program that will give you access to your Google Drive content...and you could also move your Evernote content onto Google Drive...

Hello everyone, similar to the post above, well, maybe slightly different:

I was looking for a way to use good drive as an external cloud storage for large media files. And then put links to those files into Evernotes. That way the media files dont take up vital space in my evernote usage.(even with premium, or business 2gb is nowhere near enough for media files such as movie lectures or large audio files).

Ive tried sharing the file through google but it puts the file into a note in evernote, thus eating up my space. 1 mp3 file thats 32mb (long sermon or lecture) is a huge chunk especially on a free account.

So, my question is, is there a way to just send a url link of a file in google drive, and just put the url link into an evernote, so evernote will just open the url link rather and not actually host the file? Thus saving space and using google drive as cloud storage for your evernote media files?

Thanks

Hello everyone, similar to the post above, well, maybe slightly different:

I was looking for a way to use good drive as an external cloud storage for large media files. And then put links to those files into Evernotes. That way the media files dont take up vital space in my evernote usage.(even with premium, or business 2gb is nowhere near enough for media files such as movie lectures or large audio files).

Ive tried sharing the file through google but it puts the file into a note in evernote, thus eating up my space. 1 mp3 file thats 32mb (long sermon or lecture) is a huge chunk especially on a free account.

So, my question is, is there a way to just send a url link of a file in google drive, and just put the url link into an evernote, so evernote will just open the url link rather and not actually host the file? Thus saving space and using google drive as cloud storage for your evernote media files?

Thanks

Also, note: trying to share the google drive file not only puts the file into an evernote, (taking up space and defeating the purpose) but also when u sign out of google drive and then try to open the file in your evernote , it opens up google in your web browser and asks u to sign in to your google account to access the file. The logging in is not that big of a dealbreaker, although it would be nice not to have to and be able to share that particular evernote notebook and others be able to open the links in the google drive.

Hi Mike,cloudHQ have just added support for sync between Evernote and Google Drive - please check it out at: http://cloudHQ.net/evernoteAll notes are converted to both Google Docs format and PDF. Of course, all videos, images and other attachments are transfered too (so all your attachments are also available for other products Google ecosystem such as Google+ or Picasa).The sync is two-way, so you can just edit a note in Google Docs and changes will automatically replicated to Evernote. There is also a chrome extension which enables you to browse evernote notes directly from a Google Docs interface: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/iobcbdgacfkninlcbphihhdlkobkehiaThanks,Senad

This seems like a good solution for a multitude of reasons. Here is my question: I have multiple google acounts each with it's own seperate gmail and google drive. Will CloudHQ allow me to sync multiple drive acounts and what is the pricing structure for this type of setup?

Hi Mike,cloudHQ have just added support for sync between Evernote and Google Drive - please check it out at: http://cloudHQ.net/evernoteAll notes are converted to both Google Docs format and PDF. Of course, all videos, images and other attachments are transfered too (so all your attachments are also available for other products Google ecosystem such as Google+ or Picasa).The sync is two-way, so you can just edit a note in Google Docs and changes will automatically replicated to Evernote. There is also a chrome extension which enables you to browse evernote notes directly from a Google Docs interface: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/iobcbdgacfkninlcbphihhdlkobkehiaThanks,Senad

This seems like a good solution for a multitude of reasons. Here is my question: I have multiple google acounts each with it's own seperate gmail and google drive. Will CloudHQ allow me to sync multiple drive acounts and what is the pricing structure for this type of setup?

I would think that that would be a question that'd you want to ask the cloudHQ folks.

Hi Mike,

Thanks,

Senad

The benefits are helping ease people who primarily have lived in google drive and windows folders and dropbox, etc. into using evernote as their main tool. It's VERY scary thinking about transitioning my entire life off of those platforms. Benefits also include hopefully being able to start sorting and filing external documents into notebooks easier/faster to start. 

I am unclear why every post that involves Evernote and Google docs seems to dance around the issue.

The issue is VERY clear, when posters try to pretend its not.  The obvious answer there is ZERO collaboration between Google and Evernote.  I want to do the same thing, but it appears that Evernote developers are trying to sidestep the whole Google thing and either tell you to manually do things for yourself OR just use them separately.

It should be a very simple solution, one that Evernote is blatantly ignoring.  I want to do the same thing myself for Google drive from Evernote, but every post is like "why would you want to use google sync" or "I am unclear as to what can be accomplished by this" or "google offers similar functionality so why use evernote \ google, just pick one and move on".

Let's be real, there is a political game being played here and no one wants to address it.  We *ALL* know who Google is, we *ALL* know what we are asking:

Why can't Evernote access Google data, PERIOD.  That's what we ALL want.  Evernote is clearly addressing the posting without answering the question, and its rather frustrating and offensive at the same time.  They are clearly trying to avoid any direct involvement with Google, but trying to be neutral in saying that Evernote and google are equals.  But trying to be coy and pretend they don't know what is being asked they are politically avoiding supporting a different product.

This SHOULD be very simple, give us an add-in that communicates with Google drive so we can import \ export data.  I have a product called Plex.  Plex can use Google drive as an external drive over the internet, surely Evernote programmers can lookup the Google SDK and make this work as well, but rather than allow imports.. they are afraid that people will use it to EXPORT, which is what they don't want, using google to move Evernote data to.  That is ok, but that's not helping matters instead of embracing the technology as it should.

I have searched all over the web, every answer is the same neutral, minimalist answer, google is NOT something Evernote is prepared to support.

I have a HUGE investment with Google, I have a desire to MOVE to Evernote, because I like it, but it's NOT worth the effort to manually dump things to my computer, just to upload it to Evernote, this is monumental tedious task.  Why am I going to move to Evernote if they can't make the process much simpler, it's 2015.. I really don't get it.  I have apps on my phone that can access Google docs and data, why is Evernote pretending this type of functionality is missing?

I am a Systems engineer and I support ALL types of programs and OS, I am very aware of how things work.  I have One Drive, Drop Box, Evernote, google and Yahoo Briefcase all of which I use at various times, because there is no easy way to move between them, Evernote is the most promising.. however, I will simply keep my Google Drive (because really google is a document STORAGE rather than Note taking, quick clipboard device).

If I can't get better support to move my documents FROM google (even taking into considering I am losing my 100GB of storage -- for free I might add --, ) to a much smaller environment at Evernote, I am wondering why I am considering it in the FIRST place.

A new environment to my mind SHOULD make the transition much easier and simpler, but its not, and the Evernote support group is clearly NOT going to help us in this regard, if they were there would be a link or announcement on the web page "Google users, rejoice you now have a better way to keep documents and collaborate than every before.  Let Evernote make this an easy process, click here for details", but no.. sadly not there. <deep sigh>

Now I am sure as most people that confuse strong, emphasis and direct communication as being mean or mad.. but I assure you, I am neither.   First I have to get your attention, THEN make you realize that you are not fooling anyone, and I want to make to clear it *CAN* be done.

Let me be clear(er), I *LOVE* evernote, I just wish I can MOVE to Evernote easier, I am willing to forego my storage *IF* I can do it with a click.. because Evernote is a MUCH better, more featured environment.. google is storage.. I have storage at home 2 TB of local drive.  I like the Google accessibility but in reality Evernote is just as easy and faster.

I really want to ditch Google, already stopped using Chrome, done with my Android phone, abandoned my Google TV for local media storage, my last vestige of Google('nage) is almost gone, Drive.. but can't quite get it over the hump...I don't want to plug through folders of info manually, just bring a folder at a time, but even google doc format isn't compatible for Evernote import, this is not a good start.

NOTE:  Google isn't evil I just want to try something different...

So Evernote team, Please, Pretty please with a cherry on top, can we just get a STRAIGHT no-nonsense response, do you or do you NOT have plans to allow DIRECT communication with Google?!?  If so when.

If not, it would be nice to know NOW before I waste any more effort or wasted time for something that will not happen.

Thank you.

1 person likes this

Evernote don't often discuss their roadmap.

Evernote don't often build integrations with other systems, they have a pretty decent API that allows other people to build an integration.

I'm not sure that there would be a particularly good ROI for Evernote and if not, why build it?

Maybe you should be asking Google to build an export to your Evernote account?

unfortunately there are many of us in my company leaving Evernote for this reason. It is impossible to sync the notes for free with any other document system.  This means it's impossible to even send my notebooks to a professional printer to publish my work (unless they have evernote, which is asking a lot of the world!!).  The ability to sync doesn't LOSE customers...it helps gain them. I hope Evernote realizes that they are losing customers due to their closed system....before it's too late.