(Archived) AppData\Roaming instead of AppData\Local

gcaparulo

Hello Evernote World! Does anyone know if there are plans to store Evernote user states in the windows 'roaming' path instead of the current 'local' path?

Specifically,

Current: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Evernote

Desired: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Evernote

This would allow those using VDI and roaming profiles to not have to setup evernote at each machine / virtual machine that they login to.

Thx!

• Level 5

gcaparulo,

This would make local database storage very unreliable, so the answer is no, we're not planning to store Evernote database flies in roaming profiles.

If you want to have your data accessible on different machines, use Evernote synchronization..

/Peter

• 1 year later...

Possibly bad form to add to an old topic after so long, but my question is related.

We are looking at using Evernote for some of our students who may login to any of 1000 or so computers. It would be nice if, instead of having to sync their data everytime they login to a machine (appdata\local is cleared at logout) we could store the data on their personal network drive so that only the updates are needed. We redirect AppData\Roaming to the network drive.

My suspicion from the previous answer though (and the fact you can't even select a network drive in Tools -> Options) is that this is at best not supported and at worst risky for data?

Would I be right?

Thanks

• Level 5*

Using the Web client might be an alternative approach, and sufficient for many needs, though obviously not ideal. You could possibly work out some system whereby you would copy a user's Evernote info (don't forget the registry settings) on login, but it smacks of duct tape and baling wire.

It smacks of re-inventing roaming profiles really!

I'll talk again to the colleague about whether the web client would suffice.

As I said I *could* hack things to make it work of a network drive but I'd like to see something here to say "Yeah, that should be ok" or "Don't Do That!!!" ;-)

• Level 5*

Peter's post would advise against it, I think.

And as far as I know, putting the database on a network drive doesn't work (or at least is fraught); try a web search on "evernote windows network database" to find related posts.

It smacks of re-inventing roaming profiles really!

I'll talk again to the colleague about whether the web client would suffice.

As I said I *could* hack things to make it work of a network drive but I'd like to see something here to say "Yeah, that should be ok" or "Don't Do That!!!" ;-)

As Jeff pointed out, Peter's post pretty much advises against this.  This is corroborated by a post from the old message board by Dave Engberg CTO of Evernote (see link below.)  As Jeff also pointed out, there are a few threads where people have intermittently been able to use a network drive.  So it appears that Peter & Dave are correct.  My advice is if you want something that's reliable, do not use a network drive. 

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s137/sh/9a5b37ca-4c3e-473d-bf90-816c7f4ce2b6/f4da0c331e6c19a9795c300a06246899?noteKey=f4da0c331e6c19a9795c300a06246899&noteGuid=9a5b37ca-4c3e-473d-bf90-816c7f4ce2b6

Archived