(Archived) QUESTION: Are notes auto-saved? [NOT EXACTLY]

mkraft77

Idea

9 replies to this idea

It auto-saves notes. There is no option to manually save an EN note in the menu bar.

Thanks. What is the 'save' option in the File dropdown menu for?

Also, is there anything that occurs on-screen to cue you that the latest input has been auto-saved?

In order to be saved on the Evernote servers (which is what matters), your account needs to sync from your desktop (or mobile or any device) to the server. In this way, there is no auto-save (since an individual change, or many individual changes, will never be auto-saved simply because a change has been made)—though you can turn on auto-sync in preferences. If you don't have that turned on, you need to manually sync. Even if you do have auto-sync on, it's best practice to manually sync after making important changes. The lowest auto-sync interval is five minutes, and, theoretically or actually, a lot of important data can be added and lost in under five minutes.

Also, is there anything that occurs on-screen to cue you that the latest input has been auto-saved?

Not on screen normally, but you can check whether a note, in its current form, has been synced by opening the information pop-over. You'll see this (synced) or this (not synced).

• Level 5*

In order to be saved on the Evernote servers (which is what matters), your account needs to sync from your desktop (or mobile or any device) to the server. In this way, there is no auto-save (since an individual change, or many individual changes, will never be auto-saved simply because a change has been made)—though you can turn on auto-sync in preferences.

This leaves me confused.

I have *never* used the Save function, yet all of my Notes are there.

There are two separate Menu items under File:

• Sync
  • Save

What is the difference, and why do we need a "Save" function?

In order to be saved on the Evernote servers (which is what matters), your account needs to sync from your desktop (or mobile or any device) to the server. In this way, there is no auto-save (since an individual change, or many individual changes, will never be auto-saved simply because a change has been made)—though you can turn on auto-sync in preferences.

This leaves me confused.

I have *never* used the Save function, yet all of my Notes are there.

There are two separate Menu items under File:

• Sync
  • Save

What is the difference, and why do we need a "Save" function?

I'm just guessing (too new here to do otherwise), but you may be on the default (sync every 5 minutes), and that would explain why you've never had to actively 'save.'

'Save' would normally refer to your deliberate action to preserve the note in its current condition at the time you select 'Save' -- presumably that means save 'locally.'

'Sync' refers to the relationship between 'local' and 'cloud' (web) data -- i.e., keeping it identical. 'Sync' should duplicate (to the cloud) what you've 'saved' at the interval you've selected in Preferences.

• Level 5*

Wow, I apparently did not look hard enough at the File dropdown menu. Sorry for my error. But since I had never used this function, I went looking for it, expecting to not find it, and I guess I just overlooked it.

Command + S. I press it religiously. One of the features conspicuously absent from the iPad version: no way to save a document and continue, and not keyboard shortcut to save a note. It makes me very, very uncomfortable. Fingers crossed for the next update. Be glad you have it on the Mac!!!

• Level 5*

Command + S. I press it religiously.

I'm sure it doesn't hurt to "save" often, but in Evernote I never do it, and I've never lost a Note.

Evernote Mac seems to save as you type, but I really don't know. I wish some Evernote person would clarify this for us.

• Level 5*

Command + S. I press it religiously.

I'm sure it doesn't hurt to "save" often, but in Evernote I never do it, and I've never lost a Note.

Evernote Mac seems to save as you type, but I really don't know. I wish some Evernote person would clarify this for us.

agreed. i have lost data in evernote. it was painful. customer service in two countries tried to help, but no joy. if it isn't saved it isn't there... that's one of the reasons i save often. how often does evernote save automatically? i wish i knew.

Archived