(Archived) HELP: What happened to the comment field we had in the Firefox widget?

perumula

I use Evernote extensively for research, i.e. saving portions of websites and need a Comment field preferably at the top of the note. I need this to cue myself about why I thought that particular website or portion was significant for my project. When you copy over even sections of websites so many times the first line font can be very large and entirely inappropriate just a simple text reminder note. This WAS possible on the Firefox widget a couple of years or so ago until they disappeared. Preferably it would have a line space where you could start typing and the long line available to insert from the menu to separate it from the copied over note from the website? Is this now somehow possible? Thanks!

Hi perumula,

This comment, tag etc. view when clipping changed a while ago, but only for clipping to the desktop application.

So to enable the extra selections, including comment, you need to change the setting to save to the Web.

Tools -> Addons -> Evernote Web Clipper -> Options -> Select "Send to Evernote Web"

(Or press the Orange Firefox Button, Then Addons, etc.)

This will mean that to see the note in the windows client, you will have to sync before you will see it.

Scott

Scott, thanks but I once again downloaded the Evernote Web Clipper and chose the Send to Evernote WEb option. However, it only sends either the URL or a rectangle and there is NO space for a comment. It goes straight to the Desktop application to insert it into Evernote. I see no room for comment at the top or in a special box either.

Interesting, so what do you see when you press the clipper button?

Also, I have just noticed that this is in the Mac section, and I am on windows. Not exactly sure if there is a difference between the clippers on those platforms.

This is what I see when changing the settings, and clipping. (Also, note that the save button is out of view initially, and so you have to scroll to see it, and save.)

This is what I see:

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/ff4ac66b-fcee-45d5-88d6-9c6c36d944b2/21c6615f252c38b60240866c852ad1b5

Also appears similar in Firefox on a Mac:

http://blog.evernote.com/2011/08/19/the-completely-redesigned-evernote-firefox-extension/

Scott

Scott, I'm not sure what you mean by "the clipper button." I'm using the top menu black elephant icon in Firefox. "New note, Paste to Evernote, Clip rectangle," etc. As I said it just goes straight into the Evernote App on my MacBook Pro. There's no box which opens up that you showed me on the blog. I.e., if I do a selection on a page, click on black elephant in top menu, choose past to Evernote, it does smack-dab straight to Evernote opening up a new note. There's NO interim smaller box where one can add information such as the comment.

Scott - More explicitly, there is NO window—"the extension pop-up window"—that opens where there is a "Click to add tags, Click to add comment." It just goes straight to the Mac app notebook I've designated for clippings. Is that any clearer?

Scott, I tried one last thing. I found the other Black Elephant Button, downloaded it into my Bookmarks (instead of the one I already had in the top Mac menu bar, and it gives me the same thing. I selected text hit THAT black elephant button and in Evernote, I got this selection below.post-77557-0-81090600-1338235028_thumb.p

Ahh, I think I understand what is going on here.

You are using the built in functions of the Evernote App, via the icon in the bar at the top of your screen (where the power, wifi, sound etc options are, correct?)

I was talking about the Evernote Clipper for Firefox or (as I think you have found) the bookmarklet.

The Browser clipper addon can be found here:

http://evernote.com/webclipper/

This will add a button to your browser, which will allow you to clip in the way that I have described.

Scott

Scott, I did follow your link, reinstalled the extension, and now when I just click the Black Elephant Bookmark, I get a three-tiered little window: Clip article; Clip full page - enter; Clip URL. But when I do any of them, once again it just throws my selection right into the normal desktop Evernote app. I cannot get it to give me the window shown in Evernote where you can add the comment. Are you aware that perhaps it's been changed, that no longer are the comment areas being provided?

The instructions on changing this preference can be found in a previous post here:

You have to change the setting in the addon, to send to the web client, not the desktop application.

So to enable the extra selections, including comment, you need to change the setting to save to the Web.

Tools -> Addons -> Evernote Web Clipper -> Options -> Select "Send to Evernote Web"

(Or press the Orange Firefox Button, Then Addons, etc.)

This will mean that to see the note in the windows client, you will have to sync before you will see it.

Scott

Finally!!! I figured out what the problem was. Peter on the original Mac forum had said to go to the Webclipper at http://evernote.com/webclipper/ But that has no link as shown on this page which is what I needed. I only found the page on the web, but it's a shortened link: http://bo.lt/gvoju:7fryxjemux so I can't see the real address. But at any rate it DOES point to the bookmarklet page which is the one I really needed. Instead of the black elephant bookmark, it puts one that says "Clip to Evernote" and wheewww, it works. (don't mean to post this twice, but I couldn't see it when I tried to post a few moments ago.)

Archived