HOWTO: Print list of tags? [NOT CURRENTLY POSSIBLE]

This is more a maintenance item than usage, and may not be the right place...

I want to print a list of my tags... and other parameters and settings, but I haven't found the magic yet - the magic for printing things other than the notes themselves. Prolly just not using the right keywords in searches - any help???

I want to print a list of my tags... and other parameters and settings

Hi and welcome. The work around that I use is CaptureWizPro, I think there is a free version but I must use this program a dozen times a day, along with Evernote. Both are an excellent investment. For the tag list just click on tags and you will see a drop down list, if the list is long, not to worry CaptureWizPro will fix that. With the tag list open just click on the yellow bar at the top of your screen [this is after you have installed CaptureWizPro], select AREA and capture the area in question, next, back to the yellow bar and select SCROLL. This will capture the tag area and will also scroll to the bottom, so you will get the full picture of all of your tag. You will not have a JPG of all of your tag!

Regards,

David in Wichita

One method, though this is in the windows client. (maybe mac?)

- Create a new note

- Ctrl + Alt + T to open the Assign Tags dialog.

- Choose Select All then OK

- Right click this note, and choose Export

- The easiest option, is to choose HTML

- Choose Options and select only Tags

The Resulting note, will be a webpage that contains all of your notes, which you can copy and paste elsewhere etc...

• Level 5

Hi and welcome. The work around that I use is CaptureWizPro, I think there is a free version but I must use this program a dozen times a day, along with Evernote. Both are an excellent investment. For the tag list just click on tags and you will see a drop down list, if the list is long, not to worry CaptureWizPro will fix that. With the tag list open just click on the yellow bar at the top of your screen [this is after you have installed CaptureWizPro], select AREA and capture the area in question, next, back to the yellow bar and select SCROLL. This will capture the tag area and will also scroll to the bottom, so you will get the full picture of all of your tag. You will not have a JPG of all of your tag!

I tried the 30 day trial version of CaptureWhiz to get a list of my tags.

It captured the tags, but the image quality is so poor, I can't use it.

The attached image is just a small portion of my 800+ tags from CaptureWhiz.

post-53124-0-21923700-1338000076_thumb.p

• Level 5

If CW is only grabbing a picture of the tags, and it looks that blurry, could you use Skitch to get it. I've had great clarity with Skitch and it's an Evernote product as well.

I wish I could but I use Evernote Windows. Skitch does not support Windows.

- Create a new note

The Resulting note, will be a webpage that contains all of your notes, which you can copy and paste elsewhere etc...

Unfortunately there's no Assign Tags dialog in Mac, so this is Windows-only. And only if you have 100 or fewer tags (since you can't assign more than 100 tags to a note).

If CW is only grabbing a picture of the tags, and it looks that blurry, could you use Skitch to get it. I've had great clarity with Skitch and it's an Evernote product as well.

I understood David to be saying that CaptureWizPro lets you click once to capture an image of your whole tag tree, without scrolling down every X tags. Is that wrong? Skitch takes great screen shots (only on Mac, as jbenson said), but you'd have to capture on screen full of tags, scroll down, capture another, scroll down, etc., which, for those of us with hundreds of tags, would take quite a while.

- Create a new note

It's impossible to assign more than 100 Tags to a note though.

It's possible, and takes only a couple of clicks. I wrote a script which exports all tags sorted by alphabet into a .txt file. I can upload it and post a link if anyone is interested but it works only on Windows.

Btw I used iPad to write it. :)

7271706192_083d1c1a6f_b.jpg

I tried CaptureWiz which captured the tags, but the image quality is so poor, I can't use it.

Woa, thanks for the screenshot, jbenson2, I can see it's unreadable! I'm Steve from PixelMetrics support. I bet the problem was in the output selected. Please try again, this time choosing Save on the output toolbar and choose the PNG file format. The result will be an image file with every pixel captured exactly like the orininal.

Here're full instructions and tips for the scroll tool...

http://pixelmetrics.com/screen-capture/how-to/index.html?colscroll.htm

And please check out Dave's short YouTube video, where he shows off CaptureWiz's scroll tool and why it's best...

If you have further questions, the best way to contact me is at steve@pixelmetrics.com.

Steve

I'm not really a coder so the script itself is nothing special and I'm sure there are more elegant ways to achieve this stuff. But it gets the job done, i.e. you get all your Tags in a .txt file which is all that matters in this case anyway.

You can print it but also you can copy/paste and search and see the overall number of tags and etc. which is obviously not possible if you're just going to make screenshots (For my personal use cases a screenshot is not very useful but that's just me). The editable text is just much more versatile compared to a screenshot.

The way the script works (in short) is:

looks for tag names in Evernote exported html file

extracts tags

removes duplicate tags

sorts everything by alphabet

saves the results to tags.txt

To use it all you need is to export all your notes and run the script. The script itself is an executable, no additional software or anything is necessary.

i attached the script here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11708186/export%20tags.vbs

you need to "save as" this file somewhere. or just copy/paste it to a text editor and save it as .vbs file (not .txt)

the easiest way to use it would be to export all your notes as a single .html file named as "evernote.html" (make sure "tags" are enabled in export options) to "C:\" and then run the script. You will get all your tags in a "tags.txt" which would also be created in "C:\" (root of drive C).

if you want to load/save files to a different location then edit the first 2 lines of the script with any text editor and replace the locations. 

Thanks. Was wondering if you were using some sort of COM automation. Your explanation (and the full code) clears that up.

Hmmm. I could get the same results with SQLite but this may be a good time to do some playing with the API.

• Level 5

Woa, thanks for the screenshot, jbenson2, I can see it's unreadable! I'm Steve from PixelMetrics support. I bet the problem was in the output selected. Please try again, this time choosing Save on the output toolbar and choose the PNG file format. The result will be an image file with every pixel captured exactly like the orininal.

Here're full instructions and tips for the scroll tool...

http://pixelmetrics....l?colscroll.htm

Thanks for the assistance. The problem occurred when I saved the image outside of CaptureWiz, then tried to print it to a PDF.

I tried the print feature inside CaptureWiz, using a 3rd party PDF program and it worked fine.

My list of tags ended up with a PDF 14 pages long.

Here is a portion of my list of tags - (just a section of my acronym tags from A to F)

post-53124-0-50370000-1338143374_thumb.p

• 1 year later...

All:

I don't know whether EN users still have trouble easily obtaining a list of their tags to print but I just came across a very simple workaround out of necessity -- I want to use a number of my tags in my one EN account for use in my second EN account. I'm currently at a library and am using one of its computers; so I'm using Evernote on the web interface, without the ability to use any type of clipper because the library computers don't permit installation of software.

I'm using Firefox as the browser. Dragging the mouse over the tags that are visible on the screen, I discovered that all the tags -- even those not visible -- were selected. I then right-clicked on the area of the screen where notes are displayed or created, selecting Save Page As... from the menu.

I saved my selection as a Text File (*.txt, *.text), opened the file, and found that all the tags were in the text file, along with some text I don't need. Regardless, I was able to select all the tags and was able to copy and paste them into a new note.

I tried saving the selected tags as a Web Page, HTML Only, but I didn't have success -- this doesn't mean you won't.

• 1 year later...

I wanted to revisit this topic because apparently EN still cannot print a list of just tags.

The options presented in this thread are unworkable for me because I have hundreds of tags and thousands of notes. 

I did find a workaround that works, but takes a lot of cleanup.

1) Sign into EN Web.

2) Go to Admin Tools

3) Go to Tags

4) (In Firefox) Save webpage as text file.

5) Open text file in Word. The text file will have all the tags with the usage numbers between them. Delete the top coding portions from the documents before the actual list of tags.

6) In Word, use the "text to table" to convert and clean up text (by choosing two columns).

This would work beautifully if it weren't for the tag section headings.  Like the "S" heading preceeding the S tags. You have to clear all those out of there to get a clean table.  But it works.

But seriously, there has GOT to be an easier way!

• Level 5*

There's a tool for Windows called SysExporter from NirSoft, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/sysexp.html. It doesn't always work as I might like, buyer beware, but it is a utility that lets you export data from Windows lists.

1. Click on any note.
  2. Hit Ctrl-Alt-T to get the tag assign window.
  3. Go to SysExporter and export the list to CSV format or whatever, picture below.  Time for some housecleaning, 556 tags, geez

post-58142-0-63573800-1431650286_thumb.p

• 1 year later...

I use a Firefox Add-in called SQLite Manager 

The tag_attr table stores the tags you're looking for.

I use the following SQL scripts to copy the tags into a table ready for export.

I perform a nested lookup (SQL2) to the grandparent level to better view tag collections

Simple to export to Excel and run a Pivot table report /fancy printing

Best

/Cuchulain

--SQL1: need to execute this once
CREATE TABLE tag_attr_export
  (grandparent_name TEXT DEFAULT NULL COLLATE NOCASE,
      grandparent_uid INTEGER DEFAULT NULL,
      parent_name TEXT DEFAULT NULL COLLATE NOCASE,
        parent_uid  INTEGER DEFAULT NULL,
      child_name TEXT DEFAULT NULL COLLATE NOCASE,
        child_uid  INTEGER DEFAULT NULL,
  total_grandparent_tags INTEGER DEFAULT NULL,
  total_parent_tags INTEGER DEFAULT NULL,
  total_chilld_tags INTEGER DEFAULT NULL,
  total_notes_with_tag INTEGER DEFAULT NULL,
      date_created REAL DEFAULT NULL,
      date_updated REAL DEFAULT NULL,
      local_flags INTEGER DEFAULT NULL,
      subtag_count INTEGER DEFAULT NULL,
      note_count INTEGER DEFAULT NULL,
      is_linked INTEGER DEFAULT NULL,
      business_id INTEGER DEFAULT NULL);

--SQL2: need to re-execute when tags are added (after emptying down tag_attr_export  table)
INSERT INTO tag_attr_export
SELECT
 g.name AS grandparent_name, g.uid AS grandparent_uid,
  p.name AS parent_name, p.uid AS parent_uid,
  c.name AS child_name, c.uid AS child_id,
  g.subtag_count AS total_grandparent_tags,
  p.subtag_count AS total_parent_tags,
  c.subtag_count AS total_chilld_tags,
  c.note_count AS total_notes_with_tag,
      c.date_created,
      c.date_updated,
      c.local_flags,
      c.subtag_count,
      c.note_count,
      c.is_linked,
      c.business_id
FROM tag_attr c, tag_attr p, tag_attr g
WHERE c.parent_uid = p.uid
AND p.parent_uid = g.uid
ORDER BY p.name;

t-evernote-tags-1.PNG

t-evernote-tags-2.PNG

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  I've posted before about Evernote Batch -

- it's a paid-for Windows utility that will (amongst many other things) export tag lists.  Not sure how it would help you,  but it might be worth investigating. 

No connection to the app except that I paid for it and do use it - though not for this.

Archived