(Archived) QUESTION: Does Evernote encryption really work?

Experiment:

• I create a new note.
  • Entered the text "I love burritos".
  • Encrypted the text
  • Opened the .exb file with a text editor.
  • Was able to see the text "i" "love" "burritos".

Although they are separated by some tags, clearly the data is still in plaintext form.

I assume this is the same data transmitted to Evernote servers. If that is the case, what is the point of encryption here?

My second assumption would be that this is probably local cache. But then I closed and restarted Evernote just to see the locked version of the text. I checked the exb file again ... yeah... I can still see it in plaintext. So, it's just a GUI lock? Should the decrypted stuff (assuming the encryption was done correctly in the first place) be removed the note is "closed" (or when the GUI lock appears?).

I do notice that in the iOS app, when I decrypt, then leave the app, then return, at least it returns in the "locked" form. That looks good. But I wonder, is the database file actually in plaintext anyway?

When you encrypt text, it should become encrypted within the .exb file.

What were you using to view the .exb?

Did you happen to sync in between encrypting/viewing the database?

When you encrypt text, it should become encrypted within the .exb file.

What were you using to view the .exb?

Did you happen to sync in between encrypting/viewing the database?

I used Notepad++ to open it, but I think any programming editor like Visual Studio would do the same.

I don't think I have sync'd yet, since I set it to sync every 30 minutes. I did the checking immediately after I encrypted it. If that is the case, then this semi-plaintext should be the item transmitted to the servers?

• 3 weeks later...

My problem with encryption: I create a table and want to encryption just individual cells. When I open the encryption, the whole table is put into one cell and remains that way, unless I re-create the table.

Also, is it possible to encrypt an entire note? If so, how? That would be very, very nice.

• Level 5*
My problem with encryption: I create a table and want to encryption just individual cells. When I open the encryption, the whole table is put into one cell and remains that way, unless I re-create the table.

That sounds like a bug. It also sounds familiar; encryption may not play nicely with tables.

Also, is it possible to encrypt an entire note? If so, how? That would be very, very nice.

No, you can only encrypt a selection of text from your note (though possibly all the text in the note).

• 4 weeks later...

Can you decrypt text using the Evernote Web client? Or only the Win/MacOS clients? What about the mobile clients?

You can decrypt using the Web, Windows and Android clients. I can't speak for the rest since I don't have them. :) I'm going to assume that this is a cross-platform function though.

Archived