HOWTO: Change default notebook

udouble

Idea

Is it possible to choose a default location for ANY new note? The desktop app (mac) chooses the one that is highlighted. I like to make a collection of notes and later file them in the right location, with the right tags...

16 replies to this idea

Thanks for your quick response.

The odd thing is that I am positive that when I first started using Evernote, I had it set up so that my default notebook was a local notebook. I saved dozens of notes there using the Ctrl-Cmd-N window, and checked numerous times during my initial setup to make sure it was a local notebook (because I had a lot of graphic files I was importing temporarily and did not want to use up my upload allotment for such temporary files.)

So it was important to me to have this apparently unsupported combination. Since the conversion to Evernote is done, it is no longer so important. But since I follow the method of (1) initial import into an Inbox, then (2) later tag and assign to final destination, I would appreciate not having to use up upload allotment before deciding that I am actually going to keep the note.

So this is a mystery.

I have a Canon Image Formula DR-C225 document scanner that sends my scans to Evernote. It sends my scans to my default notebook. How do I get it to send scans to the Notebook I choose for each specific scan ? Or do I have to reset each Notebook as being the default notebook I want to send the scan everyone I scan something?

Is it possible to set some random notebook as the default notebook, when creating a new note? I've seen this question float around on the various discussion boards, but cannot track down an answer to the question or instruction set on how to do so. 

I'm on Evernote Business. Version 6.0.

Thanks, 

Tapan

Hi,

First time poster, first time reader, too. ;)

I've got a personal and work account, and I share my "WORK Notebook" made using my personal account with my work account. I want the default notebook to be the shared folder, but the option to set it as default doesn't appear in either the notebook settings (using right-click or the gear in the Mac UI) or the Evernote->Preferences...->General->By default... feature.

Is this a feature that isn't supported yet?

I'm using a MBP with OS X 10.9.2.

Thanks,

Phil

Right click a notebook -> Notebook settings -> make default notebook

Version 5.01 reads

Right click a notebook -> Properties -> Make this my default notebook

You are not the first who is attempting to advise how to set a default notebook. However, please note that this only works for sync-ed notebooks. It does not work for local notebooks. Although I am sure it used to, as that is how I originally set it up. You may not have any local notebooks set up. I suggest you set one up, then right click, and you will see that the "default" choice is not offered. At least not on the Mac version.

Hi Jasimon9:

You bring up two good points.  

First, at the present time I don't have any local notebooks.  I used to, but I reduced my total number of notebooks to get back under the 250 notebook limit.  I wanted to make sure that if anything happened to my laptop, I would have access to all my notes online.

Second, I keep forgetting that some folks may be using something other than a PC based computer.  So, the difference in terminology as to how one designates a default notebook could be the result of Jackolicious having given instructions for use in a Mac environment.  His 'Notebook settings' instruction doesn't even show up as an option on my computer.

Thanks for pointing this out to me.  I will try to be more careful when something doesn't necessarily fit my circumstances.

Regards,

CB4now

Right click a notebook -> Notebook settings -> make default notebook

Version 5.01 reads

Right click a notebook -> Properties -> Make this my default notebook

You are not the first who is attempting to advise how to set a default notebook. However, please note that this only works for sync-ed notebooks. It does not work for local notebooks. Although I am sure it used to, as that is how I originally set it up. You may not have any local notebooks set up. I suggest you set one up, then right click, and you will see that the "default" choice is not offered. At least not on the Mac version.

My desktop version was having problems syncing.  I finally uninstalled the product and installed the latest version.  

Now I notice that when I make a notebook the 'default notebook' it no longer puts a mark to the left of the notebook to indicate that this is the 'default notebook'.  I'm pretty sure this was the case in the previous version I was using.  

It would be nice if they started marking the 'default notebook' again.  If they decide not to, then have they provided an easy method of determining which notebook is the 'default notebook' (obviously, outside of actually entering a note and seeing where it lands)?

Your suggestion works for synchronized notebooks, but my question is about local notebooks. The is no choice for "make default notebook" on local notbebooks. Please try it yourself on a local notebook and you will see.

I don't believe this information is correct. Since I started with Evernote, I set up a local notebook called inbox and made it my default notebook. New notes were always created there, no matter what.

But for some reason, the default notebook inexplicably changed to another notebook. There is no way I changed that consciously. And now, I don't seem to be able to get this back to the way I want it. It seems that only synchronized notebooks can be made the default notebook. So something has changed in Evernote or more likely, I just don't see how to get it set up again. Frustrating.

The new note should appear in whatever notebook you have selected when you create it. If you have "All Notebooks" selected, it will appear in your default notebook. There's no way to change this behavior.

EDIT: If you want to change your default notebook, right click on the notebook you'd like to set as your default, choose "Notebook Settings..." and then "Make this my default notebook."

What do you mean by "default location"? And which upload method are you talking about? The various upload methods have different ways of determining which notebook to put notes in (and which tags to apply, where applicable).

Archived