(Archived) Evernote as bookmarks replacement

I'm starting to use EN 3 (both Windows and Web versions), testing it out to see how well it functions for:

• [*:2jxrbj5q] Note-taking
    [*:2jxrbj5q] General document writing
    [*:2jxrbj5q] General information organisation
    [*:2jxrbj5q] Web clipping and organisation
    [*:2jxrbj5q] Web bookmarks replacement

So far, I find EN works fairly well for all categories but the last: It's just not a very efficient system for quickly finding and launching web bookmarks (or any shortcuts for that matter).

First the good news: Finding a "note" by navigating the tag tree is great. I love your hierarchical tag system for organising links or documents. I imported my links from delicious (about 500), then spent a few minutes organising the tags into hierarchies. It's perfect.

First problem: There isn't a fast text search for finding notes. I want it to work like the Firefox or Chrome URL bars: start typing text, and it incrementally starts finding all notes in your DB that match based on tags or titles (maybe even indexed text content).

Second problem: launching. Once a bookmark is found, I have to click twice: once to "open" the note, and again to launch the link.

Obviously, a browser bookmarking tool needs to be much more streamlined. Minimal number of steps or clicks: type in search text, or drill down into a tree, click the found link once, at it's launched. Ideally this would be in a browser plugin/toolbar, but a separate app or web page could possibly be just as fast.

Anyone else (attempting to) use Evernote as their primary bookmark launcher?

I want it to work like the Firefox or Chrome URL bars: start typing text, and it incrementally starts finding all notes in your DB that match based on tags or titles (maybe even indexed text content).

Do you mean the web interface? Both the Windows and Mac client work work exactly the way you are describing it.

I just don't think that Evernote is quite right, at least not yet, as a sole means of managing bookmarks. I use it for some things I used to bookmark, but generally only for pages that don't change much (or where I'm not interested in the changes) where I just clip the page to Evernote & read it there (with the useful addition of a link to the site in case I want to view the article in context), but for sites that change regularly I use Delicious. I find a dedicated bookmark manager more useful as it is designed specifically for the purpose, with things like browser extensions that integrate the bookmarks in the browser, and a user interface that is designed purely around bookmarking. Evernote is wonderful for many things, but I'm not sure it's ideal (at least in it's current configuration) as the sole means of organising your bookmarks!

Of course, this is only my point of view, and I realise some people may prefer slightly different ways of interacting with their bookmarks. I've just found it much easier to use a dedicated tool for my bookmarks, and Evernote for my notes (including things like articles, emails, blog posts etc. clipped from the web, which I previously would have bookmarked). If Evernote made some changes to their interface and functionality which made it work more like a bookmark manager then I might consider moving my bookmarks over, but for the time being I'm happy with my current setup.

Archived