REQUEST: Ability to change note background color

Got2bFree

Idea

I need this feature too. Reading black text on a white background is difficult for long periods of time. I've love to change the background color to to a legal pad yellow and have the ruled lines. That would make reading notes MUCH easier for me. 

I'm reading a lot of AWS service faqs, which I copied into Evernote, at the moment -- lots of text a lot to read. :)

What's the official feature request process at Evernote?

In the interim I'll submit a support ticket stating it's a feature request. Hopefully their developers review feature requests and priority is given to feature requests with the most submissions backing them. Fingers crossed.

Hi all, I did submit a support request for this feature and this is the answer I got so far:

I see you would like to change the background colors in Evernote. The changes in Evernote's appearance were made recently to make the application appear more in line with Apple's design standard for OS X 10.10 Yosemite. I cannot make any guarantees that this will be implemented, but I can pass along your feedback to change the user interface in Evernote for Mac to our development team to consider for future releases.

If you prefer a different interface for Evernote, you can also access Evernote from a browser on your Mac at https://www.evernote.com/Login.action?targetUrl=%2FHome.action .

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions, and I will get back to you soon.

Regards,
----

Apparently this feature isn't in the roadmap yet. I would suggest that all of you who need this feature send a support ticket as well on: https://evernote.com/contact/support/ the more we send such tickets the more likely we are to get it added to our favorite note-taking app! :)

Yep, +1 here for the ability to colour-code notes, if not in the full note then at least in the headers, though I don't see why all the way through as an option as it seems a fairly straightforward process. After all, if OneNote can do it... 

Hi Robertv. It seems ONENOTE is a good app (talking about Android version)

Also the navigation menu seems more logical. In evernote it's fine but in some way it's trick me.

I like the new improvement adding different contrast and smooth scroll/swipe but, as example, I would like to have an option to hide the "recent notebooks" and as home page "notebook" instead "all notes"

Yet, a background color/texture would be a excellent improvement for many.

Thanks

+1

I just created an account to tell you that many people need this feature. I think it would be nice to have it. A lot of people like post-it notes because using color makes you remember stuff better. This is scientifically proven. It is great that people can use evernote to store things but the problem comes when I forget that I had even added this note to my Evernote. If it was in a  certain color that would be great. 

+1 to this request.  I sometime use the trick of sending my EN an email with a background page color so I get a colored note, but the thumb print doesn't show as colored and that defeats a major objective of the effort.  For like many others on this topic, I'd like to use color to help me quickly scan for key notes.  Its clear each note can support a background color setting, so hopefully giving us the ability to set a color can't be too hard?

Philip

In another thread, I've explained a way to get Evernote Windows to display notes with whatever background color you wish (this doesn't change the actual note, or change the way others will see the note if you share it; it only changes the way it looks on your own computer).  The procedure is here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/86645-solution-to-not-having-white-background-for-notes/

All best wishes.

Rob

+1 for me also.

I keep going back to One Note and dropping Evernote for this very reason. I'd be happy if I could change a notebook color, title of a note, note background....whatever. Some way to color code something.

Either I'm getting old eyes, or the world has gone to uneducated graphic artists with no basis or knowledge of science and how we see.  Form over substance.

The fonts are getting smaller and like sticks, and on white glaring background.  Hence they dissolve.  Helvetica was designed for posters, not small text.  I guess no one understands the purpose of serifs.  No one reads any more,  just watch videos, and hollow sound bites.  Yesterday I went to Staples to get new pack of Gregg ruled green tint steno pads, and they were all garish with optically enhanced bright white pages.  My old steno pad inventory, also from Staples from about 10+ years ago, was an eye resting light green.

What makes it worse on the computer/tablet, is the bright back lighting that drowns out the already faded fonts.  Whatever happened to black fonts!!!!  I'm writing this on a 4k screen, so it's even worse for me!

This is set Times Roman 18pt, which looks like 12pt on my screen.  Sorry, if it appears huge when reading on your side.  Windows has a definite "ISSUE" with scaling!

Yes, having a choice of background color for notes, could let me asign a color to each client.  As a freelancer with lots of short term clients, it doesnt make sense for me to create a whole notebook for each one.  Instead, I keep these short term clients together in a single notebook, so it would help greatly to organize their notes that I could color code them.  This would be amazing!

A possibly easier solution would be to add color options to the text of the Title.  We already have that tool in the body of the note.  Isnt it easy to add that color tool to the title section?  That would be cool!

Indeed. I start to consider migrate to another software/app for my multi device notes. Still no enough options. For example: I would like also be able to sort each NOTEBOOK for date or name separately. Actually when is set out for one, it changes all!!

Please add the ability to change the background color.

I just create a forum acoount to say that.

I have waiting for this feature for more than 3 years, and now I'm consider to give up evernote.

If you use note templates, as Robin Lee's (welcome to the forums!) comments suggested, you can have any background color you want. However, changing it is the tricky part, and it is also not possible on mobile clients to change text color, so that can be an issue as well. I hope we'll get the feature someday, but I guess other things like control over fonts, text size, highlighting, etc. (clients vary on their support) would probably be a priority for many people as well. Evernote developers have plenty to keep them busy over the summer smile.png

If you would like some background color templates, please see this page:

http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/template.html

This web app does seem to address that.

http://evernote.com/trunk/items/colorstache

But it would be great if it was incorporated into Evernote natively.

These links are invalid now!

Also the templates I created from the first link don't work in Evernote note anymore!  I just get some kind of Snippet view.  With no way to change my note background this really sucks!  Please give us some options, Evernote!!!  Our eyes hurt!  :angry:

Hi all, I did submit a support request for this feature and this is the answer I got so far:

I see you would like to change the background colors in Evernote. The changes in Evernote's appearance were made recently to make the application appear more in line with Apple's design standard for OS X 10.10 Yosemite. I cannot make any guarantees that this will be implemented, but I can pass along your feedback to change the user interface in Evernote for Mac to our development team to consider for future releases.

If you prefer a different interface for Evernote, you can also access Evernote from a browser on your Mac at https://www.evernote.com/Login.action?targetUrl=%2FHome.action .

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions, and I will get back to you soon.

Regards,

----

Apparently this feature isn't in the roadmap yet. I would suggest that all of you who need this feature send a support ticket as well on: https://evernote.com/contact/support/ the more we send such tickets the more likely we are to get it added to our favorite note-taking app! :)

good idea, just sent this...

I have uveitis, a disease that can make you go blind. My eyes are very light sensitive. I can't see fine detail so I have a big screen and it is killing me looking at a bright white screen at 4am using Evernote. Please give me soft tinted choices for background colours. 

"The disease will cause symptoms, such as decreased vision, pain, light sensitivity, and increased floaters. In many cases the cause is unknown."

It is actually possible, although you have to copy a existing note that already has a background color

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=459

This stopped working in 5.91 (it still doesn't with 5.95, I checked)

Maybe because of this it stopped working

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/88637-the-evernote-editor/

Maybe it has something to do with layout changes (new checkbox icon, new icons in the toolbars, the white background seems a little lighter (?) )

I'm staying on 5.8.8/staying off 5.9.x + versions until evernote fixes this :(

I've found a workaround...

1. Download Google Keep

Only kidding, no, ok half kidding, I'm using a Chrome extension on my Mac that changes the background colour, so if I use Evernote in the browser the page is tinted. The Extension is called Change Colors. It's easy to use and tints all your white web pages to whatever tint you want. 

It's not a great workaround because the website isn't as functional as the app, and the colour changing extension actually hides Evernote's tools! Back to the drawing board then...sigh! 

I've found another workaround, sorta. I've just realised that you can change the background colour of tables in Evernote, so you can make use of that. Tables are very useful in Evernote anyway, but you could always make a whole note out of one simple table element and colour it. 

post-227516-0-76319100-1447970401_thumb.

+1 This would be a huge feature:

1) I don't know where I'm supposed to be looking in the Evernote Windows UI, a grey background would simplify the screen visually.

2) I just captured text from a website that had white letters on a black background. I thought I had an empty note until I accidentally selected and found the text in reverse.  With a non-white (grey) background, its easier to see where a note begins and ends. 

3) The white is hard on my eyes, especially at night, so I try not to use Evernote after 4:30 PM, or whenever the Sun sets up here...

I agree with everyone about the background colour and just now while getting some information from a website I used webclipper and when I went to the note the text was there as well as the background colour.

All I did was delete the text and lo and behold the coloured background remained. I can extend the coloued block down but not across the page but it fills most of the page anyway. I was able to get 4 different colours from this website and will now use these 4 notes as templates. The URL of the website I used was http://www.mstworkbooks.co.za/natural-sciences/gr7/gr7-ll-01.html#toc-id-5

Hope this is useful

I came here just to mention this.  I have been working with Sublime Text recently and I forgot how nice it is to adjust the background and font color.  It would be absolutely fantastic if this was an option!!!

You indeed can change these type of things, but with the API and not the note editor at the moment.  We're working on a series of templates that will allow for this (eventually with a color picker).  All templates will be free to the community, but we need your input on what to develop.  Please complete the anonymous survey to help us/you out.

http://goo.gl/forms/EAR66f8mCpTHZ6yx1

• Like 1
On 18/8/2012 at 8:31, GrumpyMonkey dijo:

If you use iOS (iPad or iPhone), you can change the accessibility settings so that pressing the Home button three times will reverse colors. This is great for reading at night. It is a global setting that works for all apps.

The Universe bless you, I didn't know that about iOS. You saved my vission, I'm such an intense phone reader-writer. Android is so much eyestraining. I'll need an iPhone as soon as possible, and ***** off Android. I got fed up with Android's bugs.

I would LOVE to see this.  I use Evernote for a lot of different things, but one of the things I started using it for several years back is for journaling.  When I want to jot down some thoughts for the day, I'd love to be able to change the page color.  I'm a Premium User, and I'd love to see it added as an option.  And I am almost exclusively using it on mobile (Android), so app support would be highly desired!!

Incredible.  Steno paper is off white, pads are pale yellow, accounting paper either light green or brown.  MS gives us stark wife backgrounds with THIN stick fonts that blend into the glaring white.

The world has gone mad, proof that science is dead in the schools, and marketing is king.  Remember that if I buy something, it is not an endorsement, but often settling for something in the face of mediocre products.

So, let us study how the eye sees, the purpose of serifs, and fonts with wider bodies. 

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, Parfumeur said:

Incredible.  Steno paper is off white, pads are pale yellow, accounting paper either light green or brown.  MS gives us stark wife backgrounds with THIN stick fonts that blend into the glaring white.

The world has gone mad, proof that science is dead in the schools, and marketing is king.  Remember that if I buy something, it is not an endorsement, but often settling for something in the face of mediocre products.

So, let us study how the eye sees, the purpose of serifs, and fonts with wider bodies. 

Totally credible. It's just software. Making software involves making choices, and users of software can make choices, too. This feature would be nice, but the fact that it's not available is not proof that the sky is falling. We, all of us, live in a world of imperfection. When has it not been thus?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jgleazer said:

The white background is too bright.  A vast expanse of whiteness is harsh on the eyes.

fwiw  

On my Mac, the table feature allows for background colour.  I use a 1x1 or 1x2 table for my notes, and have templates set up.

Other user's have set up templates and modify the underlying html code for background colour

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Well,  14 according to the voting feature.  Clicking the button is as good as a support ticket,  and easier for non-paying users.

Afaik the voting feature wasn't here when the thread started back in 2012, you could only post a comment!
There are 140 replies to this thread, I did read most of them and they do ask for the feature or find crazy workarounds, so *yes* hundreds of backers.

Btw, in the process of changing the forum this was also tagged as a "Windows" request, but lots of people who posted are Mac users so this should be across the board of all desktop apps, not just Windows.

Please everyone who posted here, upvote the idea as this now seems to be the way...

Change background color.  This is not an idea, this is a self evident truth.

But, hey, what do I know.  MS went with Roger Rabbit GUI, then in 8 & 10, wishy washy colors, thin fonts,  stark backgrounds, unintelligible tiles instead of icons, random tile sizes with weird ideograms and lots of stock pictures not related to the topic at hand.  Maybe it's THC accumulation in the brain of marketers!

I use a night mode on every single app I own. The bright white of Evernote discourages me from using it, especially late at night when I'm getting a stroke of inspiration and want to record some important thoughts without going blind. I even ticketed another app I love, Todoist, to add night mode until they released it like a year ago. Please Evernote, I love you and don't want to go to Notion, but they have night mode. I just want to be able to switch my background color (and obviously font color to something different than black so I can read it on a dark background).

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 6/28/2019 at 12:59 AM, Dream Wishes 3 said:

I use a night mode on every single app I own. The bright white of Evernote discourages me from using it, especially late at night when I'm getting a stroke of inspiration and want to record some important thoughts without going blind. I even ticketed another app I love, Todoist, to add night mode until they released it like a year ago. Please Evernote, I love you and don't want to go to Notion, but they have night mode. I just want to be able to switch my background color (and obviously font color to something different than black so I can read it on a dark background).

This is a different request than ability to change note background color. Suggest you check into @DTLow's link if you're a Windows user (though it sounds like changes are slim in the short term for that OS), or try adding your vote/comments to the general request here: 

• Level 5*

There doesn't seem much interest in this feature.    
To indicate support for the request, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion    
The request has 37 votes

In the meantime, we can add colour backgrounds using work-arounds suggested above   
I also use coloured backgrounds in tables

It's an issue of the masses.  The masses may not be always right - they need guidance.  Failure of education. Pursuit of mediocrity to cater to the lowest common denominator, rather than pursuit of excellence.  It's all part of the yin yang.  In order to have winners, you need losers. 'Notion' may be the future today . . .  I do have Evernote free - now static as I switched to another note program, ... no proper screen background... no subscription/payment. Simple.

Posting here, hoping the young marketing minds at Evernote will do some 'thinking', and science based GUI on how the mind work and sees.  Testing out Notion.  On my desktop, I use AllMyNotes.... the superlative everyday PIM.

Many a talking package like Jovan.... eg: We use stark glaring white, high in blue so that YOU can (insert your marketing reason).

9 hours ago, DTLow said:

There doesn't seem much interest in this feature.    
To indicate support for the request, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion    
The request has 37 votes

In the meantime, we can add colour backgrounds using work-arounds suggested above   
I also use coloured backgrounds in tables

Here are very few Votings at all, to all requests, but this is one with more votes.

Not to much votings at all, in Overview over all Posts and the few that argue and wish for features are getting ignored ...

• Level 5*

Hi.

3 hours ago, Andre Doernemann said:

Here are very few Votings at all

Not sure where you're looking,  but there are thousands of requests across all operating systems  - some with over 400 votes.  THis forum is not the only place they get feedback,  plus -

3 hours ago, Andre Doernemann said:

the few that argue and wish for features are getting ignored ...

One reason for users feeling ignored is that Evernote can't deliver on all of those requests - even the ones that make commercial sense - all at once.

- They've already promised a much-improved app for every device during this year.  There are lots of reasons not to give us a detailed list of what improvements are in progress.  Evernote are under no obligation to justify their decision on which requests get developed...

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hi.

Not sure where you're looking,  but there are thousands of requests across all operating systems  - some with over 400 votes.  THis forum is not the only place they get feedback,  plus -

Hi; first Page in the Windows Forum; biggest vote i see are 90, rest are mostly between 20 and 50. Maybe here in Windows area are a bit less people?

One reason for users feeling ignored is that Evernote can't deliver on all of those requests - even the ones that make commercial sense - all at once.

Sure, that's totaly right - but 8 Years ;) That's not at once. And again - Notion AND OneNote managed to have this feature. Just saying...

- They've already promised a much-improved app for every device during this year.  There are lots of reasons not to give us a detailed list of what improvements are in progress.  Evernote are under no obligation to justify their decision on which requests get developed...

Totally right, they have absolutly no obligation! They can choose whatever they see fit to inform their customers about their service.

I just kinda liked Evernote and want to like it again. Hate to mention it, but: Notion f.e. has a List of upcoming improvements wich gets crossed off the list one by one.

And that's just better customer service.

And i would like to have EVERNOTE better customerservice & experience. To wish someone would make theri customers more happy in business means you wish them WELL, not bad :)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Andre Doernemann said:

irst Page in the Windows Forum; biggest vote i see are 90, rest are mostly between 20 and 50. Maybe here in Windows area are a bit less people?

A lot of requests apply to all operating systems - Android / iOS / Mac / Windows - so there's a 'general' section too which has most of the 'big' votes,  plus all of those individual requests still affect the overall app.  Something which works only in iOS has to be engineered so that it not only doesn't work in Windows,  but also doesn't stop something else from working correctly.

-And Notion (and the rest of the market) have the advantage of working from a blank slate.  They re-engineered Evernote's current app without having to go through the last 10 years worth of development.  They can just add new bells and whistles on their own schedule.  Evernote have to deal with 10 years worth of old code (which is in active use by over 200M people) so  adding something new is a bit more difficult...

Anyhow.  Sorry if you feel ignored,  but Evernote try their best to keep us advised - https://evernote.com/blog/

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Kynareth said:

Evernote needs to give users the ability to freely change background and font colors. It's crucial and long overdue. 2020 and only black on white? Why?

You're welcome to indicate your support for this request  using the vote button is at the upper left corner of the discussion   
Currently this request only has 40 votes

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, RobertJSawyer said:

You've got some compulsion (1) to pretend that votes here in any way, shape, or form influence Evernote's development priorities,

Evernote has advised that user votes are one of the factors in development priorities   
The vote count is now 42

How are boohoo posts working for you?

>>(2) to pretend that a desire for a night-mode / dark-mode (or any subset of it) is something hardly anyone wants

I've made no comment on the desire for background colour; I like colours and the count includes my vote   
Night-mode / dark-mode is a different request; users can add their vote here

>>Let our voices be heard

My voice is expressed in the user vote mechanism

>>save yours for when you have something productive and positive to say. 

I do productive posts, like directing users to the vote button
not into boohoo posts (non-productive static)

I'm Autistic,  I paid for the subscription without realising that I would not have access. I arrived here while trying to find out how to change the page colour.  I can't read the screen so can't use Evernote. Other than that it looks great. I'll happily pay to use the service if I can access it, some sort of dark mode is all that would be needed. I'm not happy to pay for something that doesn't have the most basic of access options.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, 'H" said:

I'm Autistic,  I paid for the subscription without realising that I would not have access. I arrived here while trying to find out how to change the page colour.  I can't read the screen so can't use Evernote. Other than that it looks great. I'll happily pay to use the service if I can access it, some sort of dark mode is all that would be needed. I'm not happy to pay for something that doesn't have the most basic of access options.

Hi.  I'm sorry but I don't understand your issue exactly.  Are you saying that the colour of individual notes is preventing your access,  or that you don't like the shades of green colours in the app itself? 

If it's a notes issue you could save a 1x1 table with the background set to your preferred shade as a template (you'd need to do that on a desktop). Select the template when creating a new note.

If you're unhappy with the app and want to cancel your purchase,  you'd need to contact Evernote support directly.

Hey @RobertJSawyer,  

I saw your old post about changing the EN-color.txt file to affect some sort of visual change—

I know it's a long shot, but do you have any kind of idea, or hunch, on how to control the color-inversions that occur inside web-clippings / web content when you're in dark mode?

Everything that the great web clipper clips... is always inverted, when darkmode is on!

Just thought I'd ask. 

CHeers!

• Level 5

Currently dark mode is available (as far as I could check for now) for the iOS client, and for the web client. It can be set to system (which means off and on, depending on the devices settings), always dark or always light.

On the Mac client there is no setting (yet ?), on Windows and Android I did not check.

• Level 5

Nothing was posted in this thread for 21 months now - twenty one months of nothing in a row.

And now I read your post, ridiculous, asked for ten years, blablabla. What do you do for a living - selling used cars or insurance ? Then it would probably be a professional bias in your arguments.

Facts speak for the observation that you are pretty alone with your urgent need to change the note background color. Pretty alone means only a tiny fraction of users feels a need to get something like this. 53 votes in 10 years are 5-6 votes per year - burning hot issues look differently. But all this is forum talk, user to user.

If you want to reach EN staff, use the feedback function or a support ticket.

10 hours ago, GSD said:

You can even do it in Google Keep, and that's free.

There are more programs that you can't do it in than can. Evernote can't be the all encompassing feature kitchen sink of all productivity/document-storage/second-brain apps anyway.

Coloring the background of notes seems like a basic sticky-note app kind of a thing to me. (But if they ever decide to implement it -- hey -- fine by me.)

So one can pine for this feature -- no probs --, but to say it's 'ridiculous' that it doesn't have this feature I find, ironically, quite ridiculous. 😜 

• Haha 1