Got2bFree

REQUEST: Ability to change note background color

Idea

Coloring the background was important to me, so i recently moved my notes to onenote and started using that.

Hi Robertv. It seems ONENOTE is a good app (talking about Android version)

Also the navigation menu seems more logical. In evernote it's fine but in some way it's trick me.

I like the new improvement adding different contrast and smooth scroll/swipe but, as example, I would like to have an option to hide the "recent notebooks" and as home page "notebook" instead "all notes"

Yet, a background color/texture would be a excellent improvement for many.

Thanks

+1

I just created an account to tell you that many people need this feature. I think it would be nice to have it. A lot of people like post-it notes because using color makes you remember stuff better. This is scientifically proven. It is great that people can use evernote to store things but the problem comes when I forget that I had even added this note to my Evernote. If it was in a  certain color that would be great. 

+1 to this request.  I sometime use the trick of sending my EN an email with a background page color so I get a colored note, but the thumb print doesn't show as colored and that defeats a major objective of the effort.  For like many others on this topic, I'd like to use color to help me quickly scan for key notes.  Its clear each note can support a background color setting, so hopefully giving us the ability to set a color can't be too hard?

Philip

Yes, I too would like my Evernote Desktop Client app to be in color. Currently it's 100% black & white, horrible!

Yes, I too would like my Evernote Desktop Client app to be in color. Currently it's 100% black & white, horrible!

In another thread, I've explained a way to get Evernote Windows to display notes with whatever background color you wish (this doesn't change the actual note, or change the way others will see the note if you share it; it only changes the way it looks on your own computer).  The procedure is here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/86645-solution-to-not-having-white-background-for-notes/

All best wishes.

Rob

+1 for me also.

I keep going back to One Note and dropping Evernote for this very reason. I'd be happy if I could change a notebook color, title of a note, note background....whatever. Some way to color code something.

Either I'm getting old eyes, or the world has gone to uneducated graphic artists with no basis or knowledge of science and how we see.  Form over substance.

The fonts are getting smaller and like sticks, and on white glaring background.  Hence they dissolve.  Helvetica was designed for posters, not small text.  I guess no one understands the purpose of serifs.  No one reads any more,  just watch videos, and hollow sound bites.  Yesterday I went to Staples to get new pack of Gregg ruled green tint steno pads, and they were all garish with optically enhanced bright white pages.  My old steno pad inventory, also from Staples from about 10+ years ago, was an eye resting light green.

What makes it worse on the computer/tablet, is the bright back lighting that drowns out the already faded fonts.  Whatever happened to black fonts!!!!  I'm writing this on a 4k screen, so it's even worse for me!

This is set Times Roman 18pt, which looks like 12pt on my screen.  Sorry, if it appears huge when reading on your side.  Windows has a definite "ISSUE" with scaling!

Yes, having a choice of background color for notes, could let me asign a color to each client.  As a freelancer with lots of short term clients, it doesnt make sense for me to create a whole notebook for each one.  Instead, I keep these short term clients together in a single notebook, so it would help greatly to organize their notes that I could color code them.  This would be amazing!

A possibly easier solution would be to add color options to the text of the Title.  We already have that tool in the body of the note.  Isnt it easy to add that color tool to the title section?  That would be cool!

Indeed. I start to consider migrate to another software/app for my multi device notes. Still no enough options. For example: I would like also be able to sort each NOTEBOOK for date or name separately. Actually when is set out for one, it changes all!!

+1.  I really love the app, but would love to liven up the cold black and greay desktop version to the beautiful green of the iphone app.

Please add the ability to change the background color.

I just create a forum acoount to say that.

I have waiting for this feature for more than 3 years, and now I'm consider to give up evernote.

If you use note templates, as Robin Lee's (welcome to the forums!) comments suggested, you can have any background color you want. However, changing it is the tricky part, and it is also not possible on mobile clients to change text color, so that can be an issue as well. I hope we'll get the feature someday, but I guess other things like control over fonts, text size, highlighting, etc. (clients vary on their support) would probably be a priority for many people as well. Evernote developers have plenty to keep them busy over the summer smile.png

If you would like some background color templates, please see this page:

http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/template.html

This web app does seem to address that.

http://evernote.com/trunk/items/colorstache

But it would be great if it was incorporated into Evernote natively.

These links are invalid now!

Also the templates I created from the first link don't work in Evernote note anymore!  I just get some kind of Snippet view.  With no way to change my note background this really sucks!  Please give us some options, Evernote!!!  Our eyes hurt!  :angry:

Since 2012 thousands of people have been asking for that, come on evernote, it can't be THIS hard.

@All: I submited another support request about that, I suggest we all do the same, they have to read support requests at least...

Hi all, I did submit a support request for this feature and this is the answer I got so far:

I see you would like to change the background colors in Evernote. The changes in Evernote's appearance were made recently to make the application appear more in line with Apple's design standard for OS X 10.10 Yosemite. I cannot make any guarantees that this will be implemented, but I can pass along your feedback to change the user interface in Evernote for Mac to our development team to consider for future releases.

If you prefer a different interface for Evernote, you can also access Evernote from a browser on your Mac at https://www.evernote.com/Login.action?targetUrl=%2FHome.action .

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions, and I will get back to you soon.

Regards,

----

Apparently this feature isn't in the roadmap yet. I would suggest that all of you who need this feature send a support ticket as well on: https://evernote.com/contact/support/ the more we send such tickets the more likely we are to get it added to our favorite note-taking app! :)

good idea, just sent this...

I have uveitis, a disease that can make you go blind. My eyes are very light sensitive. I can't see fine detail so I have a big screen and it is killing me looking at a bright white screen at 4am using Evernote. Please give me soft tinted choices for background colours. 

"The disease will cause symptoms, such as decreased vision, pain, light sensitivity, and increased floaters. In many cases the cause is unknown."

It is actually possible, although you have to copy a existing note that already has a background color

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=459

This stopped working in 5.91 (it still doesn't with 5.95, I checked)

Maybe because of this it stopped working

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/88637-the-evernote-editor/

Maybe it has something to do with layout changes (new checkbox icon, new icons in the toolbars, the white background seems a little lighter (?) )

I'm staying on 5.8.8/staying off 5.9.x + versions until evernote fixes this :(

I've found a workaround...

1. Download Google Keep

Only kidding, no, ok half kidding, I'm using a Chrome extension on my Mac that changes the background colour, so if I use Evernote in the browser the page is tinted. The Extension is called Change Colors. It's easy to use and tints all your white web pages to whatever tint you want. 

It's not a great workaround because the website isn't as functional as the app, and the colour changing extension actually hides Evernote's tools! Back to the drawing board then...sigh! 

I've found another workaround, sorta. I've just realised that you can change the background colour of tables in Evernote, so you can make use of that. Tables are very useful in Evernote anyway, but you could always make a whole note out of one simple table element and colour it. 

post-227516-0-76319100-1447970401_thumb.

Writer: the internet typewriter, does a nice job of allowing white type on a black background -- very easy on the eyes!

+1 This would be a huge feature:

1) I don't know where I'm supposed to be looking in the Evernote Windows UI, a grey background would simplify the screen visually.

2) I just captured text from a website that had white letters on a black background. I thought I had an empty note until I accidentally selected and found the text in reverse.  With a non-white (grey) background, its easier to see where a note begins and ends. 

3) The white is hard on my eyes, especially at night, so I try not to use Evernote after 4:30 PM, or whenever the Sun sets up here...

@Newlands: wait another 12 years and evernote might decide that after 10k people posting here it could be worth the 2.5 lines of code they need to write for this feature :/

Meanwhile in terms of white light being too agressive at night this changed my life: https://justgetflux.com/ give it a try, it really helps by adapting the light level to the hour of the day.

I agree with everyone about the background colour and just now while getting some information from a website I used webclipper and when I went to the note the text was there as well as the background colour.

All I did was delete the text and lo and behold the coloured background remained. I can extend the coloued block down but not across the page but it fills most of the page anyway. I was able to get 4 different colours from this website and will now use these 4 notes as templates. The URL of the website I used was http://www.mstworkbooks.co.za/natural-sciences/gr7/gr7-ll-01.html#toc-id-5

Hope this is useful

I came here just to mention this.  I have been working with Sublime Text recently and I forgot how nice it is to adjust the background and font color.  It would be absolutely fantastic if this was an option!!!

You indeed can change these type of things, but with the API and not the note editor at the moment.  We're working on a series of templates that will allow for this (eventually with a color picker).  All templates will be free to the community, but we need your input on what to develop.  Please complete the anonymous survey to help us/you out.

http://goo.gl/forms/EAR66f8mCpTHZ6yx1

• Like 1

On 18/8/2012 at 8:31, GrumpyMonkey dijo:

If you use iOS (iPad or iPhone), you can change the accessibility settings so that pressing the Home button three times will reverse colors. This is great for reading at night. It is a global setting that works for all apps.

The Universe bless you, I didn't know that about iOS. You saved my vission, I'm such an intense phone reader-writer. Android is so much eyestraining. I'll need an iPhone as soon as possible, and ***** off Android. I got fed up with Android's bugs.

I would LOVE to see this.  I use Evernote for a lot of different things, but one of the things I started using it for several years back is for journaling.  When I want to jot down some thoughts for the day, I'd love to be able to change the page color.  I'm a Premium User, and I'd love to see it added as an option.  And I am almost exclusively using it on mobile (Android), so app support would be highly desired!!

Incredible.  Steno paper is off white, pads are pale yellow, accounting paper either light green or brown.  MS gives us stark wife backgrounds with THIN stick fonts that blend into the glaring white.

The world has gone mad, proof that science is dead in the schools, and marketing is king.  Remember that if I buy something, it is not an endorsement, but often settling for something in the face of mediocre products.

So, let us study how the eye sees, the purpose of serifs, and fonts with wider bodies. 

13 hours ago, Parfumeur said:

Incredible.  Steno paper is off white, pads are pale yellow, accounting paper either light green or brown.  MS gives us stark wife backgrounds with THIN stick fonts that blend into the glaring white.

The world has gone mad, proof that science is dead in the schools, and marketing is king.  Remember that if I buy something, it is not an endorsement, but often settling for something in the face of mediocre products.

So, let us study how the eye sees, the purpose of serifs, and fonts with wider bodies. 

Totally credible. It's just software. Making software involves making choices, and users of software can make choices, too. This feature would be nice, but the fact that it's not available is not proof that the sky is falling. We, all of us, live in a world of imperfection. When has it not been thus?

Please add the ability to change the background color.  I using the evernote to read a lot off big texts and for me the white background is too bright.  I'd to ability change the color to adapt for better reading experience.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jgleazer said:

The white background is too bright.  A vast expanse of whiteness is harsh on the eyes.

fwiw  

On my Mac, the table feature allows for background colour.  I use a 1x1 or 1x2 table for my notes, and have templates set up.

Other user's have set up templates and modify the underlying html code for background colour

This is insane, 4 years of wait time, hundreds of backers, I submitted yet another support ticket to make them aware of this forum, feel free to do so!

1 hour ago, Dom Guinard said:

hundreds of backers

Well,  14 according to the voting feature.  Clicking the button is as good as a support ticket,  and easier for non-paying users.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Well,  14 according to the voting feature.  Clicking the button is as good as a support ticket,  and easier for non-paying users.

Afaik the voting feature wasn't here when the thread started back in 2012, you could only post a comment!
There are 140 replies to this thread, I did read most of them and they do ask for the feature or find crazy workarounds, so *yes* hundreds of backers.

Btw, in the process of changing the forum this was also tagged as a "Windows" request, but lots of people who posted are Mac users so this should be across the board of all desktop apps, not just Windows.

Please everyone who posted here, upvote the idea as this now seems to be the way...

Change background color.  This is not an idea, this is a self evident truth.

But, hey, what do I know.  MS went with Roger Rabbit GUI, then in 8 & 10, wishy washy colors, thin fonts,  stark backgrounds, unintelligible tiles instead of icons, random tile sizes with weird ideograms and lots of stock pictures not related to the topic at hand.  Maybe it's THC accumulation in the brain of marketers!

so wish for this, hate the new evernote HATE IT

WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS COLOR SCHEME!!!! WHY DID I UPGRADE, HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SO STUPID

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 9.06.10 PM.png