REQUEST: Ability to change note background color

Got2bFree

Idea

Now it has been 8 Years this thread exists. For most apps in general a dark mode is the most normal thing in the meantime and evernote STILL does not provide it for Windows. Let alone an option to change the background colour. Meanwhile Notion is getting better every quarter. These folks don't seem to take 8 Years to implement a simple, normal and common request.

It's a shame, cause I WANT to like Evernote, but it is so disappointing after years of use no improvement at all.

As soon as OneNote gets usable Reminders or Notion gets Pen Support I will have to change because they just show so much more effort and practicability:(

• Like 3

+1 on this!!

Much needed feature if Evernote is working towards remembering everything!

In my toying around with memory methods I find one needs to engage all our different senses when we learn a particular thing.

Much of what we learn would be easy if they are uniquely associated with only that particular topic. But in reality what we learn overlaps with a lot of things we learn later in life and once that overlap occurs we get confused and we forget.

So if we could get a note to have color coding we could have a new neuronal association in our brain to help us recall that particular thing.

Just my two cents :)

• Like 2

Hi, yep I would also very much like to be able to change the background colour of my notes in Evernote. I particularly like the yellow background in Mail Notes in OS X, but hate the way notes are integrated into Mail, which is part of the reason I have switched to Evernote.

A nicety would also be the ability to have feint lines.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Agreed. A yellow ruled (or quad-ruled) background makes notes look like notes, and sets them off from everything else on the screen. It also sets them off from the lists and icons within the evernote window. It's a first step to a more visually appealing (and more functional) evernote window.

• Like 2

Oh, come on, DTlow. You do this EVERY SINGLE TIME. You've got some compulsion (1) to pretend that votes here in any way, shape, or form influence Evernote's development priorities, and (2) to pretend that a desire for a night-mode / dark-mode (or any subset of it) is something hardly anyone wants. 

Seriously, I know getting that posting count up is a great high, but these boilerplate poo-pooings of what many, many, many users have been asking for for many, many, many years accomplish nothing BUT incrementing your counter.  Let our voices be heard; save yours for when you have something productive and positive to say.

• Like 1

It's ridiculous. People have been asking for the simple ability to change the background colour of notes for a decade (at least), and still Evernote does nothing about it. You can even do it in Google Keep, and that's free. Come on Evernote. A lot of people want this, so please add this feature. It would be hugely helpful to be able to instantly see what sort of note something was by its colour.  

• Level 5*

If you use note templates, as Robin Lee's (welcome to the forums!) comments suggested, you can have any background color you want. However, changing it is the tricky part, and it is also not possible on mobile clients to change text color, so that can be an issue as well. I hope we'll get the feature someday, but I guess other things like control over fonts, text size, highlighting, etc. (clients vary on their support) would probably be a priority for many people as well. Evernote developers have plenty to keep them busy over the summer :)

If you would like some background color templates, please see this page:

http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/template.html

• Like 1

If you use note templates, as Robin Lee's (welcome to the forums!) comments suggested, you can have any background color you want. However, changing it is the tricky part, and it is also not possible on mobile clients to change text color, so that can be an issue as well. I hope we'll get the feature someday, but I guess other things like control over fonts, text size, highlighting, etc. (clients vary on their support) would probably be a priority for many people as well. Evernote developers have plenty to keep them busy over the summer :)

http://www.princeton...o/template.html

Thanks Monkey. :)

• Level 5*

http://www.princeton...o/template.html

Thanks Monkey. :)

Anytime :)

• Level 5*

+1

Please give the ability to have a black background colour with wite lettering.

Much easiwer on the eyes, especially when using it all day.

If you use iOS (iPad or iPhone), you can change the accessibility settings so that pressing the Home button three times will reverse colors. This is great for reading at night. It is a global setting that works for all apps.

This feature has been proposed many times since version 2.0 immsmc. That's at least 2 years ago. And now it's still on the way. Really don't know if there's any difficulty in implementing it.

I think it's pretty essential for a text handling application to have this ability. Please make it happen, thank you.

• Like 1

By the way, for Windows users there is also an application that reverses screen colors, so you can see the notes on black background. Either check the option "Reverse colors" in Windows 7 Magnifying Glass, or use something like NegativeScreen.

A helpful thing that Evernote could do is post a CSS script with styles for the web version of Evernote to have dark background and semi-white text, for both reading and writing. It would be possible to import such script to Greasemonkey and see notes similar to Clearly. (notes which use colorful text would have this switched off).

Add me to those who want background coloring. When I want to highlight stuff now I have to change the color of the font, which doesn't stand out as well, or put asterisks nearby. Background coloring is in lots of programs and shouldn't be that hard for Evernote.

• Like 1

This appears to be a problem across all platforms.

Most of the time, when I pull up a clipping and wish to add to it, there is no way to go to the beginning of the note and insert plain text on a plain white background. Instead, the clipping has a background color that I can't get rid of.

Is there some special trick for inserting text prior to the start of a clipping in a note without this problem? Is there a way to change the background color?

There is no way to do this in any Evernote client except, I think, one of the iOS clients. And the third-party Linux client, as well.

Well, rats.

How about this as a fairly easy to implement fix?

Whenever a title is edited, if the associated note has a background color, insert a blank line at the top of the note.

+1 I'd love to have this on the desktop app and the mobile apps. I'm still using MacJournal at the moment, which does allow background and text color changes, so I can do white text on a black background to save my eyes. This missing feature is keeping me from switching completely to Evernote.

Yes, please allow changing the background color of the client applications (Windows Evernote, mobile apps) -- if nothing else, please do this for Accessibility reasons! A current (web) workaround: force the colors your browser shows to display a black background. I keep Chrome, my primary browser, open using normal colors and Firefox open (on my second screen) with the tweaked colors.

Yes, PLEASE. How can we use Evernote for writing (as in books etc.) with a bright white background?!? I'm fed up having to use Word or something equally cluttered and clunky and then paste stuff into Evernote - it's a waste of precious time. On the other hand there is no way I can write at length with a white background - I'd be blind within the month.

• Level 5*

Yes, PLEASE. How can we use Evernote for writing (as in books etc.) with a bright white background?!? I'm fed up having to use Word or something equally cluttered and clunky and then paste stuff into Evernote - it's a waste of precious time. On the other hand there is no way I can write at length with a white background - I'd be blind within the month.

Hi. I've posted a few templates with colors. Just use those if you don't want a white background. 

http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/template.html

• Level 5*

@GrumpyMonkey How did you make this? Hack the ENEX to stick style attributes in? :-) Smiley as I'm guessing not.

That would be one way of doing it, and it's not all that hard (not taking anything away from GM, of course:)).

• Level 5*

@GrumpyMonkey How did you make this? Hack the ENEX to stick style attributes in? :-) Smiley as I'm guessing not.

That would be one way of doing it, and it's not all that hard (not taking anything away from GM, of course:)).

Oh no, it is quite easy. In fact, if I remember correctly, I did fiddle around with the .enex file. It's no big deal, and the nice thing is that you get a bit of color coding in your snippet view as well.

template.jpg

• Level 5*

@GrumpyMonkey I'm perfectly capable of hacking templates from a .ENEX file and importing them.

But given that a stand-alone template editor might be quite easy to make. Content AND style.

Yeah, if you know what .enex is, then you probably have the ability to do this -- and if you are a programmer, you won't even break a sweat. As for a a stand-alone template editor, see http://kustomnote.com/. It seems to be headed in this direction, though I haven't heard anything from the developer since August.

I definitely need this ability as well. Some text I copy/paste from other sources (mostly Web) is already highlighted, and often I want to un-highlight it. I also like highlighting within my own notes.

+1 here. (Just bumped a slightly older thread saying the same thing.) Seems to be a very basic functionality that is must-have, especially for many business users.

Two Evernote users in my office also request this feature. As developers, we often have a lot of windows open - it would be very helpful to be able to immediately identify the Evernote app by the note bg color. White just blends in with all the other windows, especially for any user who just switched from Mac Notes. Thank you!

Please add me for this. Sometimes I want to change the note background color. 

Is this change easy for Evernote to implement? Probably very.

Is this change useful? Evidently as many people have asked for it!

+1 here... I was surprised to see that you cannot do this. I've recently started using color tagging on the mac and was thinking the same concept would be great for EN

Agree with deborah0302 on how it would make it easier to identify the note immediately when multiple notes are open

I am having the same problem.  I copy information from other websites to incorporate in my own notes and often they will come with a grey background and I end up with a mish mash of different backgrounds all of which I would like to highlight and simply turn to WHITE.  If anyone knows how I can do this within Evernote please, I will give them a golden medallion of gratitude.

• Like 1

@jmcgeh of course "simply formatting" is simplest solution (right-clic within offending note, select "simplify formatting", presto).

You'll pretty much reduce everything to text in so doing - but you'll lose the colors.

If you want a fancier workaround eliminating background yet otherwise preserving formatting:

Clip as usual

Export to .mht

Open in MSWord

Select All

Iff any WHITE text on background, invert to black

Set background/shading=NONE

Save

Double click the modified MHT in Windows Explorer to open in default browser

Clip page to Evernote (may need select-all & Win-A if clipper declares "not supported from this location".

/Schooner

• Level 5

Interestingly, I wrote a GreaseMonkey script (that unfortunately I don't think I can share outside my employeer*+) that allowed you to change the background colour. The point of this is that figuring out what that means is an interesting challenge: Items whose background is explicitly coded in the HTML (style attribute) probably shouldn't have their background changed. Or should they?

In the context of the normal clients no element will have its background style set. In the context of web clippers and apps (such as vJournal) that set elements' background colours it's entirely possible for this question to become real.

* Copyright is their prerogative, not mine. :-(

+ If you want to know who they are (irrelevant as that is) look me up on the web. :-)

• Like 2

+1 For this feature. I am able to change the background color of every other single program I am using, except evernote. I have 3 monitors, and it's nice to have all 3 of them dark at night so I don't blind myself., and of all programs, evernote is the one which refuses to darken down a bit to be easier on the eyes. 

Update: I realize now that what I want, more specifically, is the ability to change the theme color of evernote, not individual note background colors. That might be a cool whistle to add later on, but it's the theme I am talking about. Much like IDEs allow you to change color theme. See this thread: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/45681-please-dark-theme/

• Like 1

I was extremely surprised, frankly - that background color is still not settable.

The most obvious reason - heck, we've got a web-clipper plugin here...  and it grabs pages with black/dark backgrounds and white text and pulls them in -- resetting the background to white.  You wind up with a blank (looking) page... with text the same color as the forced bg color.

I'm really surprised that such simple functionality (I wrote it up in a swing app in a day) is taking so long...

This topic's first post is dated May 18, 2012.  I still say I want to be a supportive, loyal, hell - evangelistic user.  EN has really been more fortunate than they realize, IMFAO.  Despite things like:

Clearly supporting formatting that doesn't survive the pull to Evernote (surprise, background colors.. among other things I imagine)

The highly-touted web clipper plugin - as mentioned above - is really only "friendly" to pages that adhere to EN's light-background/dark-text limitation

The widely publicized and marketed PDF annotation still does not work on Windows... i.e. it is not just broken, it is simply unsupported - a fact that is not disclosed and has been the cause of a lot of dissatisfaction from new users that took it as a major selling point only to find that it was not supported on that backward, unpopular and infrequently used OS called Windows.

This may sound harsh - but it's not my intent to whine about these things.  I can live without any of it, really.  The larger issue is - I just don't know if Evernote can continue to be successful when it keeps surprising users with such basic functionality MIA.  It's unseemly... I don't think they can go on in this apparently unresponsive manner - not for very much longer.  They're in the spotlight, and these things will begin to compete with the ... evangelizing and marketing.  II hear more and more rumbling every day about "promises, promises" and etc..  I was an early adopter - cuz I immediately liked the basic premise.  I don't want to see EN beaten up in near future reviews, or even in today's break-room idle chat.  EN management needs to realize, it would seem at least, that it's time to bring a new level of talent in... with all the capital they've raised - it'd be nice to see some of these very obvious issues being dealt with handily.  I do think that those bullet items above are very important.  They represent mostly straightforward feature/functionality that most users are surprised to find lacking or broken.  2 years from the first post in this topic.  Is that not somewhat absurd?

This thread started in 2012...does the official Evernote team read these boards?

Anyway, +1 to this. Every other notebook app has this feature so I'd love to see Evernote include it.

This thread started in 2012...does the official Evernote team read these boards?

Yes, they do. However, that doesn't mean they implement every suggestion or feature request. 

I'd like to add my vote on this feature, as well. However, I would think it would best be implemented (and I know you want to know my opinion  ;) ) as an option or as an app to download, somewhat like the Bubble Browser was/is. My reason for hoping this feature will be incorporated is to assist the more organizationally challenged in general (colored folders or anything help greatly) and primarily those with learning and other disorders who need the added support in this area. All types of learning disorders involve an aspect of executive dysfunctioning, which create problems with organization and memory, among others.

In addition, this would greatly benefit the educational - classroom value of Evernote. If I had the ability to create software that would work with Evernote, I could spend Forever brainstorming and creating valuable applications that would assist and work to enhance this top-notch program.  :rolleyes: 

Thanks - Beth Johnson

SpectrumOfMinds

I definitely need this feature too. There should be options of diff texture/color for background of notes.

I think this thread started one year ago. Is there anybody from Evernote listening to users on their official forum?

• Level 5*

I definitely need this feature too. There should be options of diff texture/color for background of notes.

I think this thread started one year ago. Is there anybody from Evernote listening to users on their official forum?

Yes: 

Yes, they do. However, that doesn't mean they implement every suggestion or feature request. 

Indeed, paper white with weak fonts (thin and grey - not serifs), weak colors and bad color juxtaposition of fonts on backgrounds, and menus popping from the right to left.

Maybe it's designed for readers that read from right to left.  Think about it.  Who on earth reads that way?  Maybe it's the future   Wishy washy colors giving optical chromatic aberration.  I think this may be the results of poor science (physics and biology) education

Has any designer studied optics, how colors come together?  The spectrum?  We now have form over function, with the sad, glossy counter intuitive  Win8 interface.  The Win 8 interface is not for working, but for surfing, and quick flighty thoughtless thinking.

Great opportunity for a start up company, or thoughtful programmer with optic physic science background, and the way the mind works.

Yes, please.  I swore after they killed Reader that I would not use Keep (introduced around the same time).  But I have to admit, the tabs of OneNote and the color note backgrounds in Google Keep are really starting to attract me.   If Evernote has a deal with Post-It, then why are our only choices for backgrounds in Evernote "white or white"?  Either a native background option (would be a single field 6 characters in length per note, right?) or a markup/html tab on notes that let us treat notes more like hypertext cards.

Evernote also needs a better way to collect feedback on possible future enhancements.  Remember the Milk has a great way of letting people vote.

• Like 1

So, Anyone here know of a good alternative to Evernote that has a dark theme?  I totally +1 that this is implemented, but in the mean time I Just cant to the High White pages.  I would like my vision to last at least a couple more years.

I'm using ListOn Shopping list for my grocery. Btw is a great app, simple to use. The background has a texture kinda "old paper" yellowish. This makes much more user friendly read the text. I'd be very happy if evernote team will implement something similar soon. Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion Nick_F,

But I was talking about the desktop flavor not the android app, although the Android version along with the DT variant and the web portal of evernote all seem to all be moving to HYPER White backgrounds, getting rid of any eye love.  Everyone seems be following the Microsoft model of listen to what everyone wants in a color scheme and do the opposite. 

The lighter UI and light gray more Mac 10.10 centric icons have made the whole UI of Evernote more snow blinding then in the past. I work in a semi dark office and the screen is glowing when I use Evernote. I am finding it hard to use now for long periods of time since I have updated to 6.0.5 app store version. I know.. strange since the background has been white all along. I don't have a problem in 5.7.1 on my other machine.

I believe it is because the background on the notes used to be a dark gray and the recent notes list was gray with alternating grays per line. Also the UI was gray around the note. Subtly all of this helped dim the screen somewhat. Now the whole UI across the board has drastically gotten brighter(white) and in the process made it difficult to use for long periods of time without straining my eyes.

This is a usability problem that really needs to be adressed. 

User defined background color would help reduce this strain. Its more of a user fix to a bigger UI design issue that needs to be backed out or resolved though.

I'm gonna get on the bandwagon and support this thread.

I could probably write a dissertation on the benefits of being able to change the background. As most people here, I don't think its much to ask for just the simplest of background modification: Colours!! Just adding the option of choosing the colour of the background would eliviate a lot of headaches. The best option for me would be the ability to insert your own image - My company's logo, a personal picture for my personal notebooks (stacks) or any other picture that represents the contents of the notebook/stack.

That being said... just giving me colour options would be a step in the right direction.

for me this is the ONLY feature that keep me away from using Evernote :angry: .  I can't deal with all this white .. Please Evernote team, just have a look at how much more easier it is to have colours to sort notes in Google Keep.