Idea

Hi,

I'd like to propose a feature for all Evernote platforms: Let us toggle a read-only attribute on notes.

Let me explain why: I use Evernote to keep lists of customers, email addresses, etc. and other stuff that rarely needs to be changed. Sometimes, I will highlight those bits of text to copy/paste into another window. However, I occasionally hit a key on the keyboard which replaces all of the highlighted text in the note. If I don't notice this, the changes get synced and I lose the data that used to be there (admittedly my own mistake).

If you could right-click on notes and toggle a read-only checkbox or something similar, that would make Evernote much more robust for storing things that you never want to accidentally change like doctor info, email addresses of friends, or whatever. Also, if you think about how many things you clip/copy/paste into a note that never again need to be edited, it just makes sense to be able to lock the content to prevent edits.

Overall, I think a read-only feature would make Evernote even more useful for storing long-term info.

Thanks!

• Like 9

42 replies to this idea

+1 on this, great "security" feature

Hi,

I'd like to propose a feature for all Evernote platforms: Let us toggle a read-only attribute on notes.

Let me explain why: I use Evernote to keep lists of customers, email addresses, etc. and other stuff that rarely needs to be changed. Sometimes, I will highlight those bits of text to copy/paste into another window. However, I occasionally hit a key on the keyboard which replaces all of the highlighted text in the note. If I don't notice this, the changes get synced and I lose the data that used to be there (admittedly my own mistake).

If you could right-click on notes and toggle a read-only checkbox or something similar, that would make Evernote much more robust for storing things that you never want to accidentally change like doctor info, email addresses of friends, or whatever. Also, if you think about how many things you clip/copy/paste into a note that never again need to be edited, it just makes sense to be able to lock the content to prevent edits.

Overall, I think a read-only feature would make Evernote even more useful for storing long-term info.

Thanks!

hi. welcome to the forums!

this request occasionally comes up in the forums. so far, evernote doesn't seem like it is likely to implement it.

however, i sure would like to see it. even with trash that doesn't have to be deleted and note histories, it is still a worry, because you might accidentally delete something and not realize it for days or weeks, especially in an account with thousands of notes.

however, i sure would like to see it. even with trash that doesn't have to be deleted and note histories, it is still a worry, because you might accidentally delete something and not realize it for days or weeks, especially in an account with thousands of notes.

This is exactly what happened to me. I had deleted something and didn't notice it for a few weeks. Why not give people the ability to avoid having to use the note histories at all when such a simple thing as a read-only flag would solve it once and for all?

This is exactly what happened to me. I had deleted something and didn't notice it for a few weeks. Why not give people the ability to avoid having to use the note histories at all when such a simple thing as a read-only flag would solve it once and for all?

i could not agree more :)

It would be a wonderful safeguard if we could make our Evernote "memories" read-only.

• Like 2

+1

As a database admin, I have a wealth of scripts, checklists and reference info that I stash in Evernote. More than once I've accidentally altered a note and not noticed for weeks, forcing research and correction.

I have tested this manual procedure a few times, and it seems to work. The notes (after importation) are not editable at the least...

1. Export the note(s) to a place where you can easily find them (computer desktop).

2. Open the notes in a text editor

3. Search for the section (near the end) that includes <note-attributes>

4. Copy a <content-class>xxxxx.xxxxx</content-class> somewhere before </note-attributes>. The API suggests that you use something company specific. I use my name.

5. Re-import the note to Evernote

Is there an easier way?

Dear EverNote team,

Please add the "read-only" feature. In fact, I recall that the earlier versions of EN (before it became cloud-enabled) had a button where you can toggle a note to read-only. I'm puzzled why it quietly went away.

I never thought of modifying the ENMl. What a great idea. Maybe as Food or Hello, it could be preserved (those notes are un-editable). Ideally, we would get the functionality, but in the meantime, this might be useful.

+10000

I truly believe this feature is highly needed to prevent accidental deletion or modification of notes. As a workaround, I wrote a MacroExpress code to disable the delete button when EN window is active. My only concern now is to accidently modify a note without noticing because I ctrl+c 100's of times a day. I just could not find a way to set the note control to read-only at runtime even though I was able to do so with other apps.

+1

please!

any formal EN response on this request?

Evernote reads but does not reply to every thread. Nor do they publish roadmaps or ETAs.

I have asked for this couple of times before.

Is has been awhile since EV added ANYTHING useful to the note-editing/formating itself... I wouldn't hold my breath for the new features.

Join the club.  We're having matching blazers made.

The feature of marking a note as read only seems like such a small thing but I suppose there are other pressing issues.

I'd really like to see this feature return too. In EN2 you could lock individual notes but like quite a few useful features, that ability just mysteriously disappeared at some point.

I'd really like to see this feature return too. In EN2 you could lock individual notes but like quite a few useful features, that ability just mysteriously disappeared at some point.

It probably disappeared when V3 came around (or maybe 3.5). A lot of things changed then, and the timeline view disappeared, mourned by some, but not me...

Hi,

my solution works only for small notes:

I have two notebooks: one contains only the original files. I'm very careful with them. These notes get exported and saved away from EN.

In EN i have a copy for daily usage. From time to time I delete the copies and replace them with my originals.

Sounds complicated, but works for me.

The second way could be realized with a second EN Account (I admit, I have one for work and one for private Issues)

Create a Notebook and invite your other account for reading only.

So content can only be added through one account.

Kind regards Olli

Renewing this feature request.  Yes, I fully realize that EN does not publish their dev roadmap but wanted to get this in front of them again anyway.

+1. Desperately wanting this too on Windows, Mac and the iPhone clients.

Once the ability to easily make notes read-only is implemented I will gladly become a paying customer.

Until then EN is just a toy, to be used with non-important things.

• Like 1

+1 for me on this as well.

In fact, in the Android version you do have to go into edit mode to edit your notes. I like this because I don't want to be thumbing through my notes and accidentally editing notes. The desktop version needs this because I too, like so many apparently, do accidentally delete attachments or notes. I don't like the idea at all that if I have any note selected and accidentally brush up against the delete button on my keyboard - BAM! There goes that note and if I don't notice it before I empty my trash, it's too late. It's the same with attachments. If you have an attached document and the cursor is located right after the document, if you accidentally brush up against the backspace key on your keyboard then your attachment has been deleted and it is not sitting in your trash at all! It's just gone.

It's design choices like this that puzzle me about the Evernote design team and why they make certain design choices, to be honest. Just too easy to lose work in Evernote. Evernote NEEDS something like this.

• Like 1

Really needs read-only mode. People do accidentally press something when reading in EN, especially when alt-tab switching back and forth.

Can not understand why such a function is so hard to be added, it is already there for Android for a long time, what is wrong with the desktop version?

EN, your user usually have hundreds or thousands of notes, they do need to make sure their precious content will not be destroyed by a cat walking on a keyboard.

• Like 1

>>Really needs read-only mode.

I agree - its and odd omission - I would have expected it as a beginning point in the UI. I've seen other products requiring a click on an edit button to make changes.

I up voted this request - it;s now at 1 (top left corner of the thread)

• Like 1

But when will they ever actually add it? Who knows.

This is why I'm currently only using Evernote as a glorified EReader for clippings, not actual notes.

• Like 1

On 16-11-2015 at 11:00 PM, Holmes245 said:
On 16-11-2015 at 11:00 PM, Holmes245 said:

In fact, in the Android version you do have to go into edit mode to edit your notes. I like this because I don't want to be thumbing through my notes and accidentally editing notes. The desktop version needs this because I too, like so many apparently, do accidentally delete attachments or notes. I don't like the idea at all that if I have any note selected and accidentally brush up against the delete button on my keyboard - BAM! There goes that note and if I don't notice it before I empty my trash, it's too late. It's the same with attachments. If you have an attached document and the cursor is located right after the document, if you accidentally brush up against the backspace key on your keyboard then your attachment has been deleted and it is not sitting in your trash at all! It's just gone.

It's design choices like this that puzzle me about the Evernote design team and why they make certain design choices, to be honest. Just too easy to lose work in Evernote. Evernote NEEDS something like this.

I fully agree: when double clicking an attachement, the cursor is always on the attachment, and to make it worse, the attachment icon gets selected as well (another bug, it may not be selected by just opening a file), so there is a very high risk that it may be deleted by accidently clicking the backspace or delete button !

Unfortunately, as far as I followed these discussions, I'm afraid that evernote will remove the edit button on all platforms, even on Android! I have the impression that evernote  is not designed for serious work but more as some kind of toy or scratch block where data loss can be afforded...

+1 please provide this. I cannot imagine it being that hard to implement.

a read-only toggle would make the usage of my notes a lot more useful and safe against fat fingering.

+1... This would be awesome!

Just semantics, but I would prefer the ability to "Lock" notes... Seems more intuitive to me that way.

+1 Happened to me as well.. This would be a great feature.. I just realised this idea was posted 7 years ago!.  Still not included? Pretty disappointing..