HOWTO: Automatically add tags when sending PDFs to Evernote

DwayneD

Idea

Hi. I have been reading the excellent new iBook from David Sparks on going paperless and I think I'm close to having a workflow that will automate this for me. My workflow is:

Scan post/documents (possibly with OCR) -> Hazel places into relavant folder -> move to Evernote.

So far easy enough however, given I can analyse the scan using Hazel I want to be able to send to Evernote with relevant tags already added. So my question is does anybody know how I can add tags using a script and then send to Evernote? Alternatively I suppose I could try and automatically email the document to Evernote with tags added in the usual way but I'm not sure how I'd add these tags to the subject line.

Has anybody tried a solution like this. Strikes me that this "self filing" solution would be paperless nirvana!

Thanks in advance.

15 replies to this idea

I'd like to do the same thing and don't think it's available yet. I send a lot of docs straight from my email (use Gmail). I'd love to be able to put a command/topic in the subject line and have the email go direct to a folder. It would also be nice for Evernote to be able to automatically add tags once the document is scanned. Anyone listening?

I'd like to do the same thing and don't think it's available yet. I send a lot of docs straight from my email (use Gmail). I'd love to be able to put a command/topic in the subject line and have the email go direct to a folder.

This already exists. You add "@[target notebook]" at the end of the subject to send it to a notebook, and "#[targets tag or tags]" to add tags.

Anyone listening?

Yes.

Hello,

Exactly the same here I'm very interesting trying to auto filled in tag when I send with Hazel a pdf to evernote. I just discover automator but can't make it work.

I would be glad is someone can help.

Thank you.

I use hazel look for specific file names and use it to do all the sorting, moving, etc. and then it uses this AppleScript to add tags and send it to Evernote.

tell application "Evernote"

activate

create note from file theFile tags {"tag1", "tag 2", "tag 3", "tag 4"}

end tell

Obviously you are replacing tag 1, tag 2 with the actually tags you want.

I use hazel look for specific file names and use it to do all the sorting, moving, etc. and then it uses this AppleScript to add tags and send it to Evernote.

activate

create note from file theFile tags {"tag1", "tag 2", "tag 3", "tag 4"}

end tell

Obviously you are replacing tag 1, tag 2 with the actually tags you want.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************

FANTASTIC! Just what i was looking for, THANK YOU!. Would it be possible to also include what notebook it should go in??

I tried this and the first few times I had a problem. I think the Notebook name is case sensitive, so make sure it matches exactly and everything seemed to work fine.

activate

create note from file theFile notebook {"Notebook Name"} tags {"tag1", "tag 2", "tag 3", "tag 4"}

end tell

Just replace the Notebook Name with your own.

I don't know why I never thought of trying the notebook before, but I can definitely see it's usefulness. Every click saved helps!

***EDIT: Playing around with it more, it seems that if you are sending the file to an existing notebook, the name needs to match exactly. If you type in a new Notebook name, it will create a new notebook. It also seems you can only send a note to 1 notebook. Not sure why you would want to send it to multiple folders, but it didn't work for me.

activate

create note from file theFile notebook {"Notebook Name"} tags {"tag1", "tag 2", "tag 3", "tag 4"}

end tell

Thank you, plarval...

Your script changed my life!!

Lew

activate

end tell

Thank you, plarval...

Your script changed my life!!

Lew

Has anyone tried this Hazel action with Evernote Version 5.0.1 (400591)? When I run this action, it opens up Evernote and locks it up and doesn't import my document(s). I have to close Evernote and restart it.

I haven't used it for a while. Are you using the App Store version or the direct download. I know the App Store version has some strange sandboxing stuff going on. If you are using the direct download, it may just be broken now. I've had some other things going on too. May switch back to 3.3.0.

I'm trying to create a rule in Hazel that uses this script minus tags. I just want Hazel to upload the file to my specified Evernote folder and then move the file to another folder on my HD. For some reason, the script keeps repeating and the file keeps getting uploaded until I stop it. Does anybody know why this is happening? Here is the code I'm using. I appreciate your help...

tell
application
"Evernote"

425]
activate

425]
create note
from file
theFile
notebook
"Records"

end tell

post-120060-0-02991300-1358548683_thumb.

Andrew, a couple of things.

1. It looks like you've created separate lines for notebook and tags.  Type it all in one line and let the editor do the word wrapping (if any).  In other words, notebook and tags are parameters of the "create note" command and as such they probably need to be on the same line.  And,
  2. You mistyped tags as tag.

Archived