(Archived) REQUEST: Better searching toolbar

wahlink

Idea

Hello,

As my evernote collections have quickly grown I find myself struggling to find notes that I've created. One feature that I really like in a terrific program called Papers (http://www.mekentosj.com/) is the ability to search by keywords, authors, etc. Basically the interface for evernote would be the same except that the search bar would have a small drop down triangle ( kin of like safari) that would allow to refine the search criteria. I can't understate how useful this feature is, especially as your digital collection grows and grows and grows. I've attached a screenshot to illustrate this feature. If you could get that up and going by next week that would be great :-).

post-72335-0-51182000-1337099038_thumb.p

7 replies to this idea

If you could get that up and going by next week that would be great :-).

You're pretty new to Evernote, huh? :)

I generally understand what you're asking for, but one question: Do you know about the "intitle" and "author" searches? Are you asking for the ability to search those things (which already exists), or a drop-down menu to make them clearer?

• Level 5*

If you could get that up and going by next week that would be great :-).

You're pretty new to Evernote, huh? :)

I generally understand what you're asking for, but one question: Do you know about the "intitle" and "author" searches? Are you asking for the ability to search those things (which already exists), or a drop-down menu to make them clearer?

here is a list of the main search queries. personally, i don't really want to see a drop-down for the search.

https://support.evernote.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=535

however, it would be nice if these search query choices were made more prominent. currently, some of them exist in the attributes section of the pane on the left-hand side of the evernote window. i think this is basically the drop-down option you are looking for (you may have to make attributes visible by pressing the little gear icon in the bottom left).

• Level 5*
Basically the interface for evernote would be the same except that the search bar would have a small drop down triangle ( kin of like safari) that would allow to refine the search criteria. I can't understate how useful this feature is, especially as your digital collection grows and grows and grows.

Actually this is not limited to just the EN Mac client. Better Search UI would be useful to all clients.

If I am understanding the OPs request, I think it is similar to requests that have been made before.

Previous requests have asked for a auto-complete, drop-down of Search Operators as you type to make it easier to remember and use the correct syntax.

The actual method of invoking and using this would of course need to be researched and well tested, but just to give an example, could work like this:

• User places cursor in Search box (by mouse or KB shortcut)
  • As the user types text, if a word begins with a Search Operatior, auto-complete would offer a list of matching Operators
    • For example, if the user types "t", auto complete would offer "tag:"

[*]If the user presses the Down Arrow key, it would offer a drop-down list of Search Operators

• Then further typing would select the Operator
    • For example, the list of Operators might be:
      • NOT
      • Tag
      • InTitle
      • Created Date
      • Updated Date
      • Before
      • On/After
      • File Type
      • etc

This is just and example to illustrate the concept. Usability testing during development would definitely need to be done to determine what would work best with most users.

GM, if you don't want to use/see the drop-down, then you need do nothing. I would only appear if the user pressed the down-arrow key.

I think for many users, especially me ;) , this would be very helpful to quickly construct a search more complicated than just a full-text search where you type in only the text you are looking for.

Thanks for all the input. I think the user search interface could be greatly improved as JMIchael pointed out. His suggestions are spot on. I really don't want to have to go back to the support forum reference to a remember a specific operator. The operators are nice to know and I'm glad I know where to find them, however, but its not ideal. Also, even with the link that was provided by grumpy monkey (thanks by the way!) it still took me a few minutes to figure out. For example when I typed 'intitle: differentiation' than if I typed 'in title:differentiation'. The only difference between the two is a space in the one that didn't work well which really wasn't so obvious. Its not a huge deal but was a little annoying to figure out just what evernote wanted me to enter. That it doesn't work is partially a reflection of me not knowing what to do but if I have trouble then others are probably also having trouble. A 'smarter' operator set would be much appreciated for newbies and it shouldn't take so long to figure out. It should be intuitive from the start.

• Level 5*

Thanks for all the input. I think the user search interface could be greatly improved as JMIchael pointed out. His suggestions are spot on. I really don't want to have to go back to the support forum reference to a remember a specific operator. The operators are nice to know and I'm glad I know where to find them, however, but its not ideal. Also, even with the link that was provided by grumpy monkey (thanks by the way!) it still took me a few minutes to figure out. For example when I typed 'intitle: differentiation' than if I typed 'in title:differentiation'. The only difference between the two is a space in the one that didn't work well which really wasn't so obvious. Its not a huge deal but was a little annoying to figure out just what evernote wanted me to enter. That it doesn't work is partially a reflection of me not knowing what to do but if I have trouble then others are probably also having trouble. A 'smarter' operator set would be much appreciated for newbies and it shouldn't take so long to figure out. It should be intuitive from the start.

good points about the searches. if i don't have to see the drop-down, then i can't really complain.

Archived