HOWTO: Merge accounts

It's a long and sordid tale, but I have two Evernote accounts, and I'm wondering if I can link them -- or at least close one and take over that username.

One account is linked to my preferred e-mail address (andrew@xyz.com), and has the username "akylax."

The other uses an address I don't use often (ak@qrst.com) and has the username "andrewkantor."

All I want to do is have my preferred address linked to my "andrewkantor" username. In other words, cancel "ak@qrst.com" and transfer the username to "andrew@xyz.com."

1. Does that make sense?

2. Is it possible?

I've learned that simply cancelling an account doesn't mean the username is freed up, which is why I haven't tried that. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• Level 5*

It's a long and sordid tale, but I have two Evernote accounts, and I'm wondering if I can link them -- or at least close one and take over that username.

One account is linked to my preferred e-mail address (andrew@xyz.com), and has the username "akylax."

The other uses an address I don't use often (ak@qrst.com) and has the username "andrewkantor."

All I want to do is have my preferred address linked to my "andrewkantor" username. In other words, cancel "ak@qrst.com" and transfer the username to "andrew@xyz.com."

1. Does that make sense?

2. Is it possible?

I've learned that simply cancelling an account doesn't mean the username is freed up, which is why I haven't tried that. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi. I would contact Evernote directly to get this done. On your own, about the best you can do is share one account as a notebook. Then, you could copy all of those notes into your main account, or just leave them shared.

• Level 5*

My head hurts already, but I think this can be done. You can change the email address associated with an account, but not the username. So: to have "andrewkantor" and "andrew@xyz.com" together...

1. Sync your current Evernote activity and exit from all files.
  2. Disable your internet connection and stay offline.
  3. Open the "akylax" account and export all notes to ENEX file. Check total number of notes. Exit account.
  4. Open "andrewkantor" account, Export all notes to (different) ENEX file as a backup in case bad things happen. Check number of notes.
  5. Now still in "andrewkantor" account import notes from "akylax" ENEX file.
  6. Check you have expected number of notes (i.e. two accounts' worth)
  7. Go to ~Help ~My Accounts Page and tab down to "Personal Settings".
  8. Change email address for "andrewkantor" to "andrew@xyz.com"
  9. If there's a problem changing the address because it's still in use for the other account, you may have to change that to a random other address first.
  10. DO NOT DELETE THE ENEX FILES YET because if one or both of us get this wrong you can still recover from all of the above.
  11. Restore your internet connection. Allow sync.
  12. Uncross your fingers and test out the merged account.
  13. When you're really REALLY sure, delete the ENEX files and export the merged notes to a new backup.
  14. If "akylax" was a Premium account, downgrade it to 'free' and don't use it!

Hope that helps..

Advice given at this point is as-is, sight unseen and subject to errors and omissions; you use the suggestions offered entirely at your own risk and preferably in a different country.

If it all goes sadly wrong, it wasn't me and you can't say I said that.

• 2 years later...

I'd love to know if gazumped's suggestion worked, as I have pretty close to the same issue.  I have two accounts set up on Evernote, unfortuneately the Evernote account I primarily use (and is Premium) is linked to an email that I don't use or access much anymore.  My second Evernote account is linked to my primary email, isn't Premium, and I don't save anything to that Evernote account.  I'd like to connect my primary email to my Premium account, but can't just delete my second Evernote account without diabling the abilityt to use my primary email on a different Evernote account.

Ouch, my head hurts just typing this craziness.  Any help here would be appreciated.

• Level 5*

Copy all of the notes from the second Evernote account (the one that you want to lose) to the primary account. Now you have all of your notes. Now set up a dummy email for the secondary account, and change the email for that account. Then change the email for your primary account to that of the secondary account.

You might be able to use this trick if our secondary account uses a GMail address. Note that GMail accounts ignore punctuation, so that "My.EMail.Account@gmail.com" is the same as "MyEMailAccount@gmail.com". It used to be that if you set up an account in Evernote with a GMail account that was differently punctuated, it would be taken by Evernote as a separate email address, so you could have two separate Evernote accounts pointing to the same logical email address. So perhaps that could be a the dummy email that you use for your secondary account. I did this successfully a few years ago. Worth a try, anyways.

• 5 months later...

Even though this is an older thread it's really important to me. Here's my headache for late 2014 and now 2015.

At some point I set up two accounts. Each has an email I use regularly. One is a GMail account and the other is based on my domain. The Gmail account has 120 points in it.

I no longer want or need the 'GMail' account. I want to transfer the 120 points to the account I actually use and get a Premium upgrade.

I doubt there is anything truly important in the 'excess' account other than it has the points.

Any thoughts, folks?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

• Level 5*

Hi.  To move the point from one account to another,  submit a CS support request by choosing "payment issue" in the first dropdown after logging in here> https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action.

To move/ share notes between accounts,  share the notebook(s) from one account to the other and then in the other account move them from the shared-in notebook to a local one.  Keep an eye on your upload limit because I imagine these notes count as 'new notes' to that account,  though there's no actual upload bandwidth involved.  Once you've finished with the process,  end the share and log back into the original account.  Change the email address in that account if you might want to use it again - instructions already in this thread.

To delete the old account,  see here - 

Although you could always leave it open in case you need a test account or some such in future...

Archived