How do you incorporate GTD read/review box into EN?

llbean

Seems like the easiest mode is to just leave anything which needs to be read or reviewed in the default EN notebook (inbox). Once it is read you file it away.

Curious if what everybody else was doing?

Do you use a tag, notebook?

LLBean

For me it depends. Longer things, I like to print out because it makes them mobile enough for me to carry around where ever I am going and take them places I could not use them on my mobile devices and use them in ways that might not be comfortable with a device due to weight or shape but works with paper, but I will admit I love to read and I rarely struggle with this area. I am well aware that I read in circumstances that others do not.

What I do is something like a readitlater list. I clip whatever I like and the I have a saved search for inbox... which inbox for me means a tagless note. Here is the quote for the saved search "-tag:*"

So clip -> Inbox (saved search) -> read -> tag or delete

Seems like the easiest mode is to just leave anything which needs to be read or reviewed in the default EN notebook (inbox). Once it is read you file it away.

Curious if what everybody else was doing?

Do you use a tag, notebook? 

LLBean

While It's easy to leave anything which needs to be reviewed later in the inbox - it's not the best idea in my view (and according to GTD methodology in general). Stuff to read/review later just clutters the inbox (if you are practicing GTD)

By making a decision that you'd want to read/review something later - you've already processed stuff, or in other words you've already done the thinking required to determine what "stuff" means to you and what to do with it.  

An inbox isn't really meant for keeping stuff which you've already processed(according to GTD), the main point of using an inbox is to keep those things (processed and unprocessed) clearly separate.

An inbox should ideally be emptied/processed every 24-48 hours otherwise you run into problems such as:

old stuff piles up and becomes stale/gets stuck and eventually you tend to avoid using it altogether and etc.

What I personally do:

I have an "inbox" and "processed" notebooks. Everything goes into "inbox" at first and then after I process stuff - it goes to "processed". During processing some notes are additionally tagged if necessary (not all notes).

How I organize stuff to read review later:

It depends. Most things which I want to "read later" are actually saved to other apps (Instapaper/Pocket). Here is why

If I weren't using separate app for this and relied only on Evernote - then I'd just tag those notes with "to read later" tag and move them out of inbox notebook to processed notebook. 

Then there are also some things related to some projects which need to be reviewed later. This is just project support basically. Those notes are tagged with the project's name and there is a "next action" to review them.

Archived