(Archived) HELP: Can't sign in when offline

llbean

Idea

3.1 seems to have turned EN for Mac into a brick when you lose internet connectivity. When I reopen EN with no internet connectivity I cannot, obviously, log into EN as the new dialoge requires, so I can't get to my notes. Hopefully this is a bug and not intended behavior.

Anybody seeing the same thing? Should I turn in a bug report?

LL

32 replies to this idea

This has been happening to me over and over again as well ... and it makes me feel unmanly to admit it, but I don't feel comfortable performing the beta install as it's been described above. Am I just screwed until the next release? It's NOT the capital-letter issue in my username ... it just logs me out every time I go offline.

I have a great suggestion for EN: Make it so you can't get to your data unless you have an internet connection! In fact, make it so if you have a bad internet connection you can't get to your data!

Oh, wait, you already did. And the beta Version 3.1.2 Beta 1 (251394) doesn't fix that. Are you guys serious?

Just spent a day with no internet and no EN.

Guess what I just did? Exported all my notes out.

If you ever get EN working like it did up until recently I'll come back.

This is ridiculous. EN is supposed to help you get to your information?

Could you do the following:

1. Upgrade to 3.1.2 Beta 2

2. Go offline on purpose

3. Try to login

4. After seeing the unable to login while offline bug, go to Help >> Activity Logs...

5. PM them to me

Yesterday I grumpily and sarcastically posted about this same thing. That post magically seems to have disappeared.

At least the beta only makes you sign in once the first time you open it, but that caught me when I had no internet access and I couldn't get to my data. I had downloaded the beta when I had connectivity and then installed it later when I didn't.

As Deverill posted (before the thread was deleted)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this may have been in response to people saying it was bad that anyone could walk up to their computer and read their notes. Hopefully they will find a "happy medium" that solves both requests. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to not be able to get to my Evernote contents.

Well it might have been a weak attempt at security, but if that was the motivation, there are better ways to implement security. I had the login information and still couldn't get to my data because EN wanted to phone home. My data was right here and I had the login info. If they want to make this about security then make EN so it can validate your username and password without connectivity and as an option require the username and password to start the program each time for the more security conscious. Though physical security is done better at the OS level with FileVault and requiring a password to unlock the machine.

The data is on the hard drive, unencrypted. Happily when EN won't give you access to your own data you can always find it where it's stored.

I suspect the need to login was an oversight.

suggestion: Have connectivity/lack of connectivity be about syncing, not about having access to your own data.

Let's see if this post gets deleted.

FYI, I've never seen a good company that takes customer service seriously that deletes users's unfavorable posts. These things make me feel less likely to be upgrading to pro anytime soon.

Greg

Yesterday I grumpily and sarcastically posted about this same thing. That post magically seems to have disappeared.

At least the beta only makes you sign in once the first time you open it, but that caught me when I had no internet access and I couldn't get to my data. I had downloaded the beta when I had connectivity and then installed it later when I didn't.

As Deverill posted (before the thread was deleted)

I think this may have been in response to people saying it was bad that anyone could walk up to their computer and read their notes. Hopefully they will find a "happy medium" that solves both requests. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to not be able to get to my Evernote contents.

Well it might have been a weak attempt at security, but if that was the motivation, there are better ways to implement security. I had the login information and still couldn't get to my data because EN wanted to phone home. My data was right here and I had the login info. If they want to make this about security then make EN so it can validate your username and password without connectivity and as an option require the username and password to start the program each time for the more security conscious. Though physical security is done better at the OS level with FileVault and requiring a password to unlock the machine.

The data is on the hard drive, unencrypted. Happily when EN won't give you access to your own data you can always find it where it's stored.

I suspect the need to login was an oversight.

suggestion: Have connectivity/lack of connectivity be about syncing, not about having access to your own data.

Let's see if this post gets deleted.

FYI, I've never seen a good company that takes customer service seriously that deletes users's unfavorable posts. These things make me feel less likely to be upgrading to pro anytime soon.

Greg

Hrm, the deleted post sounds odd, it isn't something that normally happens around here. We're apt to edit out obscenities, but not fans of deletion of sarcasm or even grumpiness.

I've mentioned this in other threads, but happy to explain it again.

It wasn't an "attempt at security" or anything, just a bug. It's a bug in the 3.1.0 migration that causes passwords to be forgotten, so you'll need to re-enter the password and we'll need to re-validate the password against what we have on our servers. So you'll need to be online for the initial validation.

In 3.1.1 and newer, the password has been fixed, so if you upgrade from 3.0.6 to 3.1.1 you won't need to re-enter your password.

Regarding physical security being done at the OS level, we completely agree. We've been saying so for years :)

I too am now having this problem... Things were working well until I lost internet connectivity. How do I submit a formal bug and/or report.

*edit* I found out the problem was that the default login name presented was uppercase. It seems the username is case sensitive. Once I made the UN all lowercase, I was able to login again.

This was the issue for me as well, the username on the desktop app became case sensitive, it is not this way on other devices.

This has been happening to me over and over again as well ... and it makes me feel unmanly to admit it, but I don't feel comfortable performing the beta install as it's been described above. Am I just screwed until the next release? It's NOT the capital-letter issue in my username ... it just logs me out every time I go offline.

What version are you on?

I'd suggest contacting customer support just in case you have a similar but different issue. The next version should be out fairly soon

I am having this problem. I cannot get into evernote when offline. I can't even open it. And its not the login/case sensitive issue either. It doesn't tell me that my password is incorrect, it tells me that it can't find an internet connection...as if that is explanation enough for why I can't access evernote through the desktop client.

I submitted a support ticket and got back the reply "We offer offline notebook feature for premium user. You can take entire notebooks offline for easy access when you don’t have a network connection as a premium user."

In sum, they are saying that free users are not suppose to be able to access evernote when offline. I find this odd. Because I have a windows version as well and, at least as of 2 weeks ago, I could totally access my notebooks when not online. I often prefer to be offline when I'm trying to get focused work done. Is this something that evernote is moving towards with its updates? Where free users don't have access to their content when not online, even though the content is stored locally? I love evernote, but for some reason, that kind of scares me...

Why even have the desktop client if you can only use it when online?

I am having this problem. I cannot get into evernote when offline. I can't even open it. And its not the login/case sensitive issue either. It doesn't tell me that my password is incorrect, it tells me that it can't find an internet connection...as if that is explanation enough for why I can't access evernote through the desktop client.

I submitted a support ticket and got back the reply "We offer offline notebook feature for premium user. You can take entire notebooks offline for easy access when you don’t have a network connection as a premium user."

In sum, they are saying that free users are not suppose to be able to access evernote when offline. I find this odd. Because I have a windows version as well and, at least as of 2 weeks ago, I could totally access my notebooks when not online. I often prefer to be offline when I'm trying to get focused work done. Is this something that evernote is moving towards with its updates? Where free users don't have access to their content when not online, even though the content is stored locally? I love evernote, but for some reason, that kind of scares me...

Why even have the desktop client if you can only use it when online?

Support response about the "offline notebook feature" is for our mobile clients. For desktop, you should be able to access your notes offline as you described. This sounds like a bug, if you could send them activity logs that would be great. If you have issues, you can PM me

Just wanted to update the board. After getting the clearly incorrect response from support the first time, I got a second message with what sounds like the real issue (after they apologized for sending the wrong information the first time).

"You can access your notes offline on your Mac as long as you select the option to stay logged in while connected to the internet, this way the next time you try to access the app while offline it will not request your login information and you will be able to access your notes."

Okay. Problem solved on this end.

• Level 5*

Just wanted to update the board. After getting the clearly incorrect response from support the first time, I got a second message with what sounds like the real issue (after they apologized for sending the wrong information the first time).

"You can access your notes offline on your Mac as long as you select the option to stay logged in while connected to the internet, this way the next time you try to access the app while offline it will not request your login information and you will be able to access your notes."

Okay. Problem solved on this end.

Glad to hear the problem was solved, and hopefully all of the information provided will help the developers improve the next update to make it work more smoothly.

I hate to necro this, but I seem to be having this issue with 3.3.1. I have a really abysmal wifi connection at home, and when it's down and I fire up EN, it just hangs. I can see the titles of my notes (but nothing else - no note content, no notebook list, no tags, etc), but then I get Spinning Rainbow and have to force-quit. I don't see an option to stay logged in while connected. Not sure what's going wrong.

...probably should be a new topic. Sorry.

I merged Fubalumateli and deverill's posts onto this existing thread because, if I understood the sarcasm right, the problem Fubalumateli described is the one discussed here. Let us know if your complaint is something else.

EDIT:

And the beta Version 3.1.2 Beta 1 (251394) doesn't fix [the problem of not being able to sign in without internet access]. Are you guys serious?

The latest 3.1.2 beta did in fact have a fix in it for the logout issues that some customers reported

Fubalumatelli, have you tried 3.1.2 beta 2? Or have you given up on Evernote forever?

I have a great suggestion for EN: Make it so you can't get to your data unless you have an internet connection! In fact, make it so if you have a bad internet connection you can't get to your data!

Oh, wait, you already did. And the beta Version 3.1.2 Beta 1 (251394) doesn't fix that. Are you guys serious?

This is ridiculous. EN is supposed to help you get to your information?

• Level 5*

if you do click the radio button and still receive sign-in prompts, then you'll want to contact customer service and/or try the beta and see if it solves your problem.

Quick update: I installed the latest beta [Version 3.1.2 Beta 1 (251394)], and so far it seems to have solved the problem. I was offline for about 5 hours without a problem, while on V3.1.0 I got logged off within minutes. I'll continue testing, though, and post again.

For anyone else that might want to try the beta, some quick notes on how I changed from the App Store version to the Beta:

• Export your notes to an Evernote XML (.enex) file
  • Quit Evernote
  • Backup your ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/ folder
  • Uninstall Evernote (in Finder, drag it from the Applications folder to Trash). Alternately use something like AppCleaner, which I believe will also delete your data, so you'll have to restore or import that again from backup later.
  • Download the Beta from the link in
  • Unzip it to your ~/Applications folder
  • Start Evernote again, and log in

I hope this helps others with the same problem :-)

one addition to your process: sync before you begin. make sure that everything has been uploaded (you can check the web version). and, ideally, i like to have my files synced to another machine just in case (assuming you have a second computer to do this).

glad to hear everything worked out!

if you do click the radio button and still receive sign-in prompts, then you'll want to contact customer service and/or try the beta and see if it solves your problem.

Quick update: I installed the latest beta [Version 3.1.2 Beta 1 (251394)], and so far it seems to have solved the problem. I was offline for about 5 hours without a problem, while on V3.1.0 I got logged off within minutes. I'll continue testing, though, and post again.

For anyone else that might want to try the beta, some quick notes on how I changed from the App Store version to the Beta:

• Export your notes to an Evernote XML (.enex) file
  • Quit Evernote
  • Backup your ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/ folder
  • Uninstall Evernote (in Finder, drag it from the Applications folder to Trash). Alternately use something like AppCleaner, which I believe will also delete your data, so you'll have to restore or import that again from backup later.
  • Download the Beta from the link in
  • Unzip it to your ~/Applications folder
  • Start Evernote again, and log in

I hope this helps others with the same problem :-)

• Level 5*

I'm having an issue with Version 3.1.0 (246062). Since I upgraded I've had an issue with Evernote insisting I login each time I want to use it. In the past that's not how this was. I believe in the past with the previous versions I put my login information into the application once, and after that it just automatically connected to the server. The application did not prompt me to enter my login information each time it was started.

To make matters worse Evernote won't even show me my notes until it is logged in. If I'm in a place with no Internet, it means no Evernote. I'm about ready to go back to keeping notes in text edit. Evernote is a lot of fun until you can't get your stuff and then it's a disaster.

Greg

hi greg. the new update allows users to have multiple evernote accounts for each user, so you need to login. if you click the radio button it will remember your login, and you should only have to do this once. even when you don't have an internet connection, it should work fine, because it is not accessing the internet in order to complete the sign-in process. if you do click the radio button and still receive sign-in prompts, then you'll want to contact customer service and/or try the beta and see if it solves your problem.

I'm having the same problems with Version 3.1.0 (246062). EN keeps making me sign in when the app is restarted or if connectivity with the internet is lost. This didn't happen with the previous version. I believe I logged in with my password once with the old version and nothing caused it to prompt me to log in again, not restarting the app or the computer nor losing internet connectivity.

Is there a way to download old versions. Version 3.1.0 (246062) is really a pain.

Greg

Similar problem here. As per other posts here and in other threads, I am signing in with lower case username (no email or upper case), so that is not the problem. I am on a client's LAN where I prefer not to use their internet connection, so I don't bother configuring proxy settings. When I connect to the LAN, the EN logs say the following:

2012-05-23 06:29:13 conn [ENConnectivityMonitor] INFO: Checking reachability for www.evernote.com...

2012-05-23 06:29:13 conn [ENConnectivityMonitor] INFO: not reachable

2012-05-23 06:29:13 conn [EDAMUserStoreClient] DEBUG: +[EDAMUserStoreClient(EDAMUserStoreClientAdditions) clientWithServerURL:] -- url: https://www.evernote.com/edam/user

2012-05-23 06:29:13 conn [ENConnectivityMonitor] INFO: Exception checking connectibity via EDAM: Internet connection appears to be offline.

2012-05-23 06:29:13 conn [ENConnectivityMonitor] DEBUG: Sending connectivity notification: ENConnectivityMonitorUnreachableNotification

2012-05-23 06:29:13 main [ENVideoLoginWindowController] INFO: kENConnectivityMonitor Unreachable

2012-05-23 06:29:17 conn [ENConnectivityMonitor] INFO: Checking reachability for www.evernote.com...

2012-05-23 06:29:17 conn [ENConnectivityMonitor] DEBUG: reachable

2012-05-23 06:29:17 conn [ENConnectivityMonitor] DEBUG: Sending connectivity notification: ENConnectivityMonitorReachableNotification

2012-05-23 06:29:17 main [ENVideoLoginWindowController] INFO: kENConnectivityMonitor Reachable

2012-05-23 06:29:22 conn [ENConnectivityMonitor] INFO: Checking reachability for www.evernote.com...

2012-05-23 06:29:22 conn [ENConnectivityMonitor] DEBUG: reachable

2012-05-23 06:29:22 conn [ENConnectivityMonitor] DEBUG: Sending connectivity notification: ENConnectivityMonitorReachableNotification

2012-05-23 06:29:22 main [ENVideoLoginWindowController] INFO: kENConnectivityMonitor Reachable

2012-05-23 06:42:17 main [ENCachingAuthHelper] INFO: Authenticating...

2012-05-23 06:43:17 main [ENCachingAuthHelper] ERROR: Unable to authenticate: TTransportException: Could not make HTTP request

userInfo = {

error = "Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1001 \"The request timed out.\" UserInfo=0xdccdac0 {NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=https://www.evernote.com/edam/user, NSErrorFailingURLKey=https://www.evernote.com/edam/user, NSLocalizedDescription=The request timed out., NSUnderlyingError=0xdccdaf0 \"The request timed out.\"}";

}

2012-05-23 06:43:17 main [ENSyncEngine] WARN: Sync started without auth token.

2012-05-23 06:43:17 main [ENAppController] INFO: Signing out username/Evernote...

Not sure how EN decides that the server is reachable?

What makes this even more frustrating is that if I do configure the proxy, this site uses an Ironport HTTPS proxy, for which I get the expected:

2012-05-23 06:52:57 lgin [ENVideoLoginWindowController] INFO: TTransportException: Could not make HTTP request

userInfo = {

error = "Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1202 \"The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be \U201cwww.evernote.com\U201d which could put your confidential information at risk.\" (rest truncated)

}

This latter behaviour makes sense, and would not be a problem for me if I could still work offline, although I think there probably should be a way around this (similar to browsers warning but allowing you to accept the certificate in cases where you trust the proxy).

I used to be able to use EN offline at this site, but now have no way of using it at all (with or without proxy).

Ironically I went premium only so I could get offline access on my iPad, which got stolen last week, so while I had 2 options a week ago, now I am truly stuck :-(

Does anyone know whether the previous version is available for download & manual installation (outside of the App Store), so I can roll back?

Are you being kicked out of Evernote and need to sign in again? If you could add in some detail, that could help.

Yup. I run into this problem fairly often with the Evernote 3.1 update. It's driving me insane. Evernote used to be so awesome for using offline and then syncing when I got internet connection, but now, it boots me back to the login screen seemingly at random.

Even if I'm in the middle of editing a note, EN will kick me back to the login screen. I have "stay signed in" checked.

Is there somewhere I can download the previous version of EN until this is resolved?

Repeating my post on another topic, but hoping I will find the answer quicker by doing so...:

I have the same problem. I have to login each time I move my laptop between work and home and I am unable to view my notes on the train in between. Only happen since updating. Love Evernote, but frustrated with this change!

Are you being kicked out of Evernote and need to sign in again? If you could add in some detail, that could help.

thanks!

Repeating my post on another topic, but hoping I will find the answer quicker by doing so...:

I have the same problem. I have to login each time I move my laptop between work and home and I am unable to view my notes on the train in between. Only happen since updating. Love Evernote, but frustrated with this change!

I too am now having this problem... Things were working well until I lost internet connectivity. How do I submit a formal bug and/or report.

*edit* I found out the problem was that the default login name presented was uppercase. It seems the username is case sensitive. Once I made the UN all lowercase, I was able to login again.

I actually have the same issue. After a succesful login, when my internetconnection fails (possibly due to time-out or proxy-error) the program automatically logs out and forces me to log in again. In this situation, I don't have access to my notes offline.

Hmm, I can't seem to reproduce that issue. Have you filed a customer support ticket? If you could save your activity logs right after it happens and send it off to customer support, that would help a lot.

thanks!

I actually have the same issue. After a succesful login, when my internetconnection fails (possibly due to time-out or proxy-error) the program automatically logs out and forces me to log in again. In this situation, I don't have access to my notes offline.

3.1 seems to have turned EN for Mac into a brick when you lose internet connectivity. When I reopen EN with no internet connectivity I cannot, obviously, log into EN as the new dialoge requires, so I can't get to my notes. Hopefully this is a bug and not intended behavior.

Anybody seeing the same thing? Should I turn in a bug report?

LL

If you can't ever sign in while offline, then yes that is a bug.

What is required is that you're online when you do an initial sign in. (We need to either create your account, or contact the server to verify your account). After that, you should be able to sign in when you're offline.

There is an existing bug so passwords weren't properly migrated, so you will need to sign in again after upgrading. We should have that bug (and a few others) fixed in the next release

Archived