(Archived) BUG: Assign Tags Failure in Multi-Select for EN Mac Version 3.1.1 (248775)

JMichaelTX

Idea

• Level 5*

I am unable to assign more than one Tag to a multiple selection in EN Mac Version 3.1.1 (248775).

First, could you please post detailed instructions on how to assign multiple tags using the Multi-Select UI.

I expect that it would work just like assigning tags in the Note Tags field, but it does not.

When I start typing the first tag, it behaves like the normal assign tags, with EN providing an autocomplete, drop-down list of matching tags.

After I hit ENTER to select/assign the tag and I start typing the 2nd tag, it starts behaving badly:

• No autocomplete
  • No dropdown list
  • Each character I type is shown twice

Questions about Assigning Tags via the Multi-select UI

1. What tags are initially displayed?
  2. How do I unassign tags to the selection?
  3. After I start typing/assigning tags, how do I cancel?

I really don't like the way the Multi-select Assign Tags works.

I much prefer the original method provided in En Win via the Assign Tags dialog (CTR+ALT+T)

Sorry to say I told you so, but after all this effort on the Multi-Select UI that is a duplicate of right-click, it still doesn't work and is still draining resources. IMO it would have been much better to simply implement the EN Win Assign Tags dialog since you already had the design and implementation details. All you needed to do is adapt it to the Mac.

13 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

i always just drag the notes into the tag. haven't done it recently, because i am not using tags, but that seems to be the best way on the mac. windows is a lot easier, and i do wish we had similar ease of use on the mac.

• Level 5*

i always just drag the notes into the tag.

That works OK if you just need to assign one or two tags, and you don't have a lot of tags in the Tag List (Left Panel).

But when you need to assign, or unassign, a lot of tags to a large selection of Notes, the EN Win Assign Tags dialog is the best, most efficient method. I'll post a screenshot of this dialog later.

• Level 5*

i always just drag the notes into the tag.

That works OK if you just need to assign one or two tags, and you don't have a lot of tags in the Tag List (Left Panel).

But when you need to assign, or unassign, a lot of tags to a large selection of Notes, the EN Win Assign Tags dialog is the best, most efficient method. I'll post a screenshot of this dialog later.

please collect those screen shots into a shared notebook for us! i will post it in my future pleadings, wish lists, bug reports, and so forth for the mac. i think once people see how well-developed the windows app is, and know what they are missing, they will jump on board with us :)

Could you PM me activity logs after the getting to the second tag? It should have an auto-complete in the dropdown. It sounds like a bug and I haven't gotten activity logs from other users who see this issue.

Here's a screenshot of what you should see:

Screen%20Shot%202012-05-14%20at%209.27.42%20AM.png

Each tag should get token-ized, and you'll get a drop down when you start typing. If you delete the tag token, it is untagged from the selection.

I mentioned this in the 3.1.1 thread but it appears tagging autocomplete and proper multi-tagging (adding more than one tag) breaks after the double letter bug pops up. For me, multi-note tagging is fine until I backspace in the middle of a tag, triggering the "ttaagg" bug, which sets off all the other tagging issues.

• Level 5*

dlu, what is the procedure for assigning tags with the multi-select UI?

Do you press RETURN after selecting the tag like you do in the Note Assign Tags field?

How do you unassign a tag?

dlu, what is the procedure for assigning tags with the multi-select UI?

Do you press RETURN after selecting the tag like you do in the Note Assign Tags field?

How do you unassign a tag?

You can hit return, or comma after selecting a tag. If you delete a tag token, it is unassigned

• Level 5*

Could you PM me activity logs after the getting to the second tag? It should have an auto-complete in the dropdown. It sounds like a bug and I haven't gotten activity logs from other users who see this issue.

PM sent with links to Activity Log and screen shot (also shown below).

EN_Mac_Bug_Assign_Tags.gif

• Level 5*

dlu, your image above isn't loading. Could you share it with Evernote/Dropbox/something else?

Peter, I can see dlu's image fine. It looks basically the same as mine, except it does not show the double characters when typing.

dlu has better stuff in his notebook, though. what in the world is dlu doing in his notebook? let's hope he shares it someday :)

by the way, i am seeing the same problem that has been reported. not every time. but, it happens.

• Level 5*

dlu,

I forgot to mention that after the Assign Tags starts behaving badly in the multi-select UI, then assigning tags to a single note in the Note Tags field is broken also. It no longer provides autocomplete nor dropdown of matching tags as you type.

Archived