(Archived) REQUEST: Subscript/superscript

Samlove

Idea

I would love to see the subscript and superscript format option to be added into the mac desktop version for Evernote. I have yet to see this added and beause of this I am limited to using the web version when wanting to take notes for classes.

13 replies to this idea

I would like this as well and have wanted it for a long time. I use Evernote for genealogy and when putting transciptions of old documents into notes I find the originals often use superscripted letters in names, like Wm. The Mac client already supports entering underscores and strike-throughs, so superscripts would be just one more type. I can of course type the superscript in Word and then copy and paste, but that is extremely lame.

• Level 5*

I would like this as well and have wanted it for a long time. I use Evernote for genealogy and when putting transciptions of old documents into notes I find the originals often use superscripted letters in names, like Wm. The Mac client already supports entering underscores and strike-throughs, so superscripts would be just one more type. I can of course type the superscript in Word and then copy and paste, but that is extremely lame.

hi. i wouldn't mind seeing more text options, but because evernote is trying to maintain parity across mac, windows, android, ios, blackberry, the web, etc. they probably have to think carefully about each feature they add. i don't think of it as particularly lame.

i don't mind the basic nature of evernote myself, because i look at it as a notetaking program, and not a word-processing one. i think it is pretty robust, and it is one of the only programs with so many editing options on the ipad or iphone. it's not perfect, not yet, but we are on our way. hopefully superscript and subscript will come :)

hi. i wouldn't mind seeing more text options, but because evernote is trying to maintain parity across mac, windows, android, ios, blackberry, the web, etc. they probably have to think carefully about each feature they add. i don't think of it as particularly lame.

i don't mind the basic nature of evernote myself, because i look at it as a notetaking program, and not a word-processing one. i think it is pretty robust, and it is one of the only programs with so many editing options on the ipad or iphone. it's not perfect, not yet, but we are on our way. hopefully superscript and subscript will come :)

Evernote already supports the storage of super and subscripted characters, just not the entry. There have always been differences between the various platforms, but adding superscript and subscript entry on the PC and Mac would not effect the other platforms.

And it is precisely because Evernote is a note-taking program that it needs superscript and subscript capabilities. For example, my main hobby is genealogy. Part of what I do in Evernote is to transcribe records so I have a readable copy to refer to. Most genealogists use Word, but I use Evernote for its many searching and storage benefits. The problem is that part of making a transcription is to write down exactly what you see. For example, if someone wrote "Junior" as "Jur", then it needs to be entered as "Jur". I have recommended Evernote to my genealogist friends and on my blog, but have avoided the embarassing issue of not being able to fully transcribe documents due to this shortcoming.

Other notetaking examples could come from chemistry, math, and physics, which all use superscripts or subscripts. Think e=mc2 or H2O. I'd be real unhappy if I was studying science in school and wanted to use Evernote to take notes in class.

Super and subscripting don't have to be on the toolbar, they can be buried down with obscure features like the strikethrough. They just need to be somewhere.

I agree - superscript, subscript, and highlighting are the only things I miss on the Mac version, and superscript/subscript would be greatly appreciated for the iPad version as well. I use superscript/subscript for chemistry formulas, ions, notations, etc etc....

Thanks for considering this.

Tracie

I was frustrated because I couldn't edit superscript text I pasted into Evernote. However, I found out you CAN edit superscript and subscript text in Evernote if you use the web client. When I logged into Evernote.com to edit the text, there were superscript and subscript buttons. I checked and they worked perfectly. This was using the Safari browser on an iMac.

Unfortunately, the ability to edit them is not on the Mac client, iPad client or iPhone client yet. But at least there is one option now.

Hope this helps.

Bump! I write a lot of essays in which I like to put reference numbers next to some key lines & words. Either to expand on the text at the bottom of the page, to provide a source or to link to another note. Any journalist or person who takes his research seriously, but wants his/her text to stay neat, needs this feature. For now I've been copy pasting superscript text from word into Evernote. It would make it a lot more convenient if there was a button or at least CTRL + Shift + + was supported. Thanks!

• Level 5*

Bump! I write a lot of essays in which I like to put reference numbers next to some key lines & words. Either to expand on the text at the bottom of the page, to provide a source or to link to another note. Any journalist or person who takes his research seriously, but wants his/her text to stay neat, needs this feature. For now I've been copy pasting superscript text from word into Evernote. It would make it a lot more convenient if there was a button or at least CTRL + Shift + + was supported. Thanks!

It's there now. Evernote 5.3.1 now has superscipt (CMD Ctrl +) and subscript (CMD Ctrl -).

Archived