(Archived) HOWTO: Move note to shared notebook (when not the owner of the notebook)

Hello..

Setup

1 premium user

1 free user

Premium user setup shared notebook. Both users can see and modify notes.

Question.

If the free user creates a note outside the shared notebook how can they bring that note into the shared notebook?

Right now if they create the note in the shared notebook it works. But they can't import. Is there a way to let the free user import a note?

Thanks

Hi rhett7660, welcome to the forum :)

Yes, it is possible to copy a note into the shared notebook. It does depend on the client that you are using though.

Currently this option is only available to the Windows client (and I am guessing, but the Mac client as well - I don't use it so can't be certain)

(In the windows client)

If you right click a note, and choose Copy Note -> Choose Notebook -> The shared notebook(s) will be listed at the bottom of the window that appears, after your own.

Scott

Currently this option is only available to the Windows client (and I am guessing, but the Mac client as well - I don't use it so can't be certain)

(In the windows client)

If you right click a note, and choose Copy Note -> Choose Notebook -> The shared notebook(s) will be listed at the bottom of the window that appears, after your own.

Scott

FYI to others: Mac is nearly identical: Right-click and select "Copy To Notebook," which will give you your list of notebooks, including notebooks shared with you.

(In the windows client)

Scott

FYI to others: Mac is nearly identical: Right-click and select "Copy To Notebook," which will give you your list of notebooks, including notebooks shared with you.

This is good to know as I am on a Mac and my work partner is on a win box.

I haven't been able to test and now that you confirmed I am one happy camper!

Thanks to both of you.

Thanks for confirming :)

• 2 months later...

Hi rhett7660, welcome to the forum :)

Yes, it is possible to copy a note into the shared notebook. It does depend on the client that you are using though.

(In the windows client)

Scott

Cool. Now, same situation as the OP, except I'd like to be able to create and edit on the free user's mobile device(s), specifically for iPad. I can't seem to, as the free user, create in the shared notebook OR copy into a shared notebook, or even relabel into a shared notebook. Thoughts?

• 11 months later...

Cool. Now, same situation as the OP, except I'd like to be able to create and edit on the free user's mobile device(s), specifically for iPad. I can't seem to, as the free user, create in the shared notebook OR copy into a shared notebook, or even relabel into a shared notebook. Thoughts?

Moving an existing note or one created by the "free user" to a "joined notebook" is still not an available option in the iOS client/app for iPad :(

Currently to my knowledge the best solutions are to:

1) copy the desired content from the "free user's" note, create a new note in the "joined notebook" and paste the desired content into the newly created note.

or 2) email - the note that you want to move - to the "joined notebook" creator's Evernote account.

To direct where the emailed note should be saved, either add the name of the desired notebook to the subject of the email (@notebook name, etc), or if sending the note via the "send" option in the client, first change the title/name of the note to include the direction/location before sending it. In other words change the title of the note to, for example, @notebook name, before sending the note. This works since the "send" operation automatically uses the title of the note as the subject line, and therefore the generated subject line will then contain the desired location to save the note.

However, in iOS on the iPad at least (I haven't confirmed on an iPhone), the "free user" can create new notes, and amend/edit existing notes in the "joined notebook." So, you should not have an issue in this regard. I have not tried editing the title of an existing note in a "joined notebook." Perhaps someone else can confirm this.

As others have previously stated here, of course the existing note in the  "joined notebook" must have the permission set by the premium user/creator to allow the "free user" (and settings pertain to each user individually) to edit the note.

• 2 months later...

I'm also having troubles with this, I can't select the shared notebook as a destination, or create a note in it, and I'm trying to use this for school. Could I just not have permission from my teacher, who made the original notebook?

Yes, it is possible to copy a note into the shared notebook. It does depend on the client that you are using though

What client are you using?

What client are you using?

I've tried both the Windows desktop client as well as the web client through Google Chrome. I'm pretty sure I just don't have permission, because after a bit of investigation, I looked at the properties of the notebook, and it says "You can: View notes". I've spoken to my teacher about this, and she said she would look into it, but there hasn't been a change yet. I have tried the above solution, but when the box asking for a destination pops up, the shared notebook is grayed out and I can't highlight it.

I've tried both the Windows desktop client as well as the web client through Google Chrome. I'm pretty sure I just don't have permission, because after a bit of investigation, I looked at the properties of the notebook, and it says "You can: View notes". I've spoken to my teacher about this, and she said she would look into it, but there hasn't been a change yet. I have tried the above solution, but when the box asking for a destination pops up, the shared notebook is grayed out and I can't highlight it.

Yes, it sounds like it was shared without write/modify permissions.

Archived