(Archived) SOLVED: Don't put datacenter in China

Update: 从G+过来的朋友请不用那样发帖啦 :) 先去这里看看http://www.yinxiang.com/faq/

——————————————————————————————————————————

http://tech.163.com/...A1000915BF.html

http://tech.huanqiu....05/2696218.html

http://www.guokr.com/article/176818/

Check comments above and make wise choice.Don't lose exotic.

If evernote want to expand china market,just add alipay,that's enough.

If want better:

• make a lite version and user could choose which part of function they need
  • write more chinese tutorial
  • Ads on appinn.com cnbeta.com 36kr.com alibuybuy.com wordpress.org.cn v2ex.com …… and organize some blog activities
  • More support and more comunication ,don't make user feeling helpless even angry:blog.est.im/archives/3723
  • Add markdown support
  • Oh,the most important: add CDN to download and update,you couldn't imagine how long will it take to download that 47.7M file,Amazon s3 is slow as snail here.Take sohu input method for example,fast-growing user amount is closely related to its fast download speed,user could use it only after they already downloaded it,and fast download speed makes a good first impression.

以下译自http://blog.evernote...hinese-service/ 译技不佳,如有偏颇,不吝指明。

———————————————————————————————————————————

今天,Evernote推出了新的名为「 印象笔记 」的完全独立的中文服务,希望能给中国用户带来非凡体验。凑巧好玩的是,印象的

「 象 」正和Evernote现用的大象Logo一致,已存的Evernote服务将不受影响,一如既往的独立运营。

我们已为新服务准备了数月:在北京组建了新团队,研发新产品并开设新的数据中心。几分钟前,我们开启了它。

下面说说为什么我们这么做,以及对您来说意味着什么?

• 为什么在中国提供独立的服务?

我们的目标是完善世界各地人们的生活,提供如第二大脑般完美的记忆。我们的中国用户增长很快,现已超过一百万,是我们第

三大用户国,而且依现在的增长率,马上就会超过日本排到第二,但坦率的说,在中国使用Evernote体验不佳。

从中国用户得到的反馈看,多数需求是让Evernote更快更稳定,与现有的中国互联网整合更密切。但由于中美之间万里迢迢,

网路难畅,唯一的解决办法是:在中国设立独立服务。正如我们现在所做的。

除了显著的改善用户体验,印象笔记还有如下优点:

1. 印象笔记会为中国开发者提供更简易的API,开发者可选择让自己开发的应用和扩展支持印象笔记还是Evernote或者两者都支持
  2. 新服务会如中国互联网所望和中国合作伙伴及支付方式合作
  3. 印象笔记会提供本土中文客户支持

Evernote和印象笔记会并行开发,共享大部分基础代码和功能。初期印象笔记将不支持社会化分享,直到我们完成与中国社会化

网络的对接(Evernote现有的社会化分享功能由于在中国无为而很少被使用)。我们所有的主要应用都将酌情更换为其它服务。

• 对中国用户意味着什么?

多种选择,现在可以选择创建印象笔记账户啦。现在的Evernote用户可以复制部分或者所有的笔记本和笔记到一个新的中文账

户,享用更快的速度和更好的可靠性。具体的复制方法看这里:http://www.yinxiang.com/faq/ 当然了,已存Evernote账户还会

享受和往常完全一样的服务。

• 对中国区以外的用户意味着什么?

外甥打灯笼——照旧。Evernote和印象笔记完全独立,没有连接,Evernote的数据不会分发到印象笔记的服务器,反之亦然。

尽管两项服务有所不同,但我们认为随着时间推移,全球的Evernote用户都能从为印象笔记开发的应用和扩展中获益。

• 数据隐私情况

我们将始终努力保护您的数据隐私,三项数据保护原则对Evernote和印象笔记同样适用:

1. 您的数据是您的
  2. 您的数据是受保护的
  3. 您的数据是可移出的

您可以在这里读到关于这三项数据保护原则的详细内容:http://blog.evernote...ata-protection/

简单的说就是任何时候我们都不会将您的数据分享给企图依靠分析和数据挖掘向您兜售或有其它「 数据货币化 」目的的合作伙

伴。

还有政府的准入问题。中国对服务器数据控制的相关法律和做法正在迅速健全,印象笔记将依中国法规提供服务。这意味着印象

笔记的用户应该知道,按照现行法规,中国当局可能是有权访问他们的数据的。

现有的Evernote服务将会继续运行在位于加利福利亚州的服务器上,受美国隐私法保护。

• 我们的大冒险

在中国做生意对西方公司来说是出名的难。我们知道这点,但不试试又如何知道究竟会怎样。我们没有选择就简单的忽略掉中国

那不是Evernote的风格。在理想的世界里,根于硅谷的伟大公司在中国也应会成功,根于北京的伟大公司在旧金山也应得取成

就。最重要的是,通过世界顶级创业精神和创新中心的激情碰撞,设计开发出的全球性产品会比真空孕育出的产品更好。

虽然我们不是生活在一个理想的世界,但不断拼搏、创新,保持乐观和透明,我们认为我们可以把世界往理想小小的推进点。

这次新服务发布让我真心激动。

It's really sad to see a so much loved product will put user privacy and so called "user experience" on the weighing scale.

Different from other products like search engines, SNS, blogs etc, Evernote is a notebook, and a notebook is often where people keep their secrets.

Although according to the news http://thenextweb.com/asia/2012/05/07/evernote-aims-to-grow-beyond-1-1-million-users-in-china-by-introducing-a-local-data-center/, Chinese users will still have the option to choose which data center they prefer, I'm just really disappointed at Evernote's attitude on user privacy.

"If Chinese authorities need access to Chinese data in a lawful way I don’t think it’s realistic to say we’ll be able to stop it."

What will happen if someday the US government needs access to user data? Will you still don't think it's realistic to say you will be able to stop it?

• Level 5*
What will happen if someday the US government needs access to user data? Will you still don't think it's realistic to say you will be able to stop it?

What do you think? That they'll start up an armed revolution to stop a lawful request for access?

What do you think? That they'll start up an armed revolution to stop a lawful request for access?

Thank you for your comment Jeff. If they do start up an armed revolution, I will upgrade my account to Premium to support them.

This is my first post here so I'm not sure what "

Evernote Evangelist

" means, or if it means you are an Evernote employee or not. Never mind though, it doesn't matter.

Being lawful has different meanings in different countries.

Generally, I'm just so disappointed at Evernote's attitude on user privacy. To provide potentially faster services at the cost of user privacy sounds like a stupid deal to me.

And the Chinese government is good at hijacking DNS, which means even if there will be an option that Chinese users can choose which server they want to use, they will still possibly be redirected to local servers.

• Level 5*

I am not an Evernote employee.

Since you were talking about the US government, then lawful would obviously mean something like "conforming to the laws of the US government" (I'm not a lawyer), It would be stupid to think that Evernote would set itself up as an unlawful organization, much less arm themselves to resist lawful requests.

Evernote users are allowed to use their own internal brains to figure out what they should and should not store in Evernote (their "external brain", as it were).

• Level 5*

Thank you for your comment Jeff. If they do start up an armed revolution, I will upgrade my account to Premium to support them.

Evernote Evangelist

" means, or if it means you are an Evernote employee or not. Never mind though, it doesn't matter.

Generally, I'm just so disappointed at Evernote's attitude on user privacy. To provide potentially faster services at the cost of user privacy sounds like a stupid deal to me.

And the Chinese government is good at hijacking DNS, which means even if there will be an option that Chinese users can choose which server they want to use, they will still possibly be redirected to local servers.

hi. welcome to the forums!

evernote evangelists are just enthusiastic users. we tend to spend more time on these forums than most, we help moderate, etc. we are not evernote employees.

i think that evernote is required by law in the united states and in china to provide information on users. they do not need your consent. they may not even be able to tell you they are doing it. i don't like it, but it is a fact of life, and until we change the laws in our respective countries, it will remain the only way that evernote can legally do business. this isn't really about china at all, but about the modern surveillance state that has arisen in the last couple of centuries. there is a lot written about the phenomenon, but i still find foucault's groundbreaking work to be the most enjoyable / provocative (discipline and punish in english / surveiller et punir in french).

option 1: encrypt it yourself

it isn't all doom and gloom 1984, though. you can encrypt your secrets before uploading them. this will prevent all but the most well-funded organizations (the nsa and other government entities) from peeking inside your files. they say it will take years for them to crack 248-bit encryption, but i suspect they are better at this than we think :)

option 2: don't upload it

you have many more protections if you keep it on your hard drive. with the exception of apple's appalling lack of security (i have apparently been wasting my time with their totally useless file vault), you are probably pretty well-protected this way. encryption and evernote's searches don't play well together for obvious reasons. if a file is encrypted, then evernote cannot read it. if evernote has the encryption key, then it is not really private at all (see legal discussion above). what is the point of uploading something that cannot be searched? hence, local notebooks :)

I am not an Evernote employee.

Since you were talking about the US government, then lawful would obviously mean something like "conforming to the laws of the US government" (I'm not a lawyer), It would be stupid to think that Evernote would set itself up as an unlawful organization, much less arm themselves to resist lawful requests.

Evernote users are allowed to use their own internal brains to figure out what they should and should not store in Evernote (their "external brain", as it were).

I guess you are right about the US part, Jeff, as I'm not a lawyer either. For example, if someone is a suspect and he/she may keep the evidence in Evernote, it's maybe totally lawful for governments to require access to his/her data in Evernote. This is my assumption and I'm sure more details will be involved in cases like this.

It means except you are seriously suspected, your data will be out of the hands of government.

Requests like that are lawful in U.S and reasonable (at least to me).

But here in China - it's something like this:

"Hey Evernote, give me a FULL BACKUP of your Chinese users' data."

"Sorry, which user?"

"All the Chinese users"

"What have they done?"

"Hmm,good point - I will need the data to find out."

"Sorry but that sounds evil"

"It's lawful here. Give me what I asked now and give me that every 3 months, or get out of China."

Requests like that are lawful in China and crazy to human.

I'm really sorry to make this post smell so much like a political complaint. This is not directly Evernote's fault but as a loyal user, I definitely think Evernote can do better in a case like this.

Evernote Evangelist

hi. welcome to the forums!

evernote evangelists are just enthusiastic users. we tend to spend more time on these forums than most, we help moderate, etc. we are not evernote employees.

i think that evernote is required by law in the united states and in china to provide information on users. they do not need your consent. they may not even be able to tell you they are doing it. i don't like it, but it is a fact of life, and until we change the laws in our respective countries, it will remain the only way that evernote can legally do business. this isn't really about china at all, but about the modern surveillance state that has arisen in the last couple of centuries. there is a lot written about the phenomenon, but i still find foucault's groundbreaking work to be the most enjoyable / provocative (discipline and punish in english / surveiller et punir in french).

option 1: encrypt it yourself

it isn't all doom and gloom 1984, though. you can encrypt your secrets before uploading them. this will prevent all but the most well-funded organizations (the nsa and other government entities) from peeking inside your files. they say it will take years for them to crack 248-bit encryption, but i suspect they are better at this than we think :)

option 2: don't upload it

you have many more protections if you keep it on your hard drive. with the exception of apple's appalling lack of security (i have apparently been wasting my time with their totally useless file vault), you are probably pretty well-protected this way. encryption and evernote's searches don't play well together for obvious reasons. if a file is encrypted, then evernote cannot read it. if evernote has the encryption key, then it is not really private at all (see legal discussion above). what is the point of uploading something that cannot be searched? hence, local notebooks :)

Thanks for your advice GrumpyMonkey.

You are right, if Evernote really enters China and sets up local data centers, I will definitely encrypt data locally myself.

Being peeked feels creepy, whether I'm naked or not.

Hi, and welcome to the Evernote Forums! We do appreciate your concerns.

We're working on launching a new, *completely separate* Evernote service in China to provide Chinese users and developers with a first-class Evernote experience. We hope to announce the launch soon and will share all the details at that point.

Any data that you choose to place on the *US* Evernote servers will be subject to *US* law, as it has always been. Any data you choose to store in the Chinese service will be subject to the laws of China. China does not have jurisdiction over our US datacenters.

• Level 5*

We're working on launching a new, *completely separate* Evernote service in China to provide Chinese users and developers with a first-class Evernote experience. We hope to announce the launch soon and will share all the details at that point.

Any data that you choose to place on the *US* Evernote servers will be subject to *US* law, as it has always been. Any data you choose to store in the Chinese service will be subject to the laws of China. China does not have jurisdiction over our US datacenters.

That is a good clarification to make Heather. It's important to know where your data is being stored, because laws vary.

Thank you for the clarification Heather,

One of the reasons why many people here in China choose products from overseas companies over similar local products is privacy. Hope Evernote will be a good example for other companies that want to enter China.

Good luck

Thanks

• Level 5*

What a stupid, insensitive, uninformed answer.

Just because the Government (Federal, State, or Local) makes a *request* for data or information from a company does NOT mean they are legally entitled to it. There are many published cases in the US where the US Gov't asked for data, but the company resisted and declined because the US Gov't did NOT have a court order for the company to provide the data.

I am very much of a law-and-order, anti-terrorist, US native citizen. But you should be very scared if we turn into a country where the Government can do anything it wants to, without due process.

• Level 5*

Sorry, but in the English language that I speak, and you evidently do not understand, "lawful" means "legal", and that infers due process.

Here, let me help you:

law·ful [law-fuhl]

adjective

1. allowed or permitted by law; not contrary to law: a lawful enterprise.

2. recognized or sanctioned by law; legitimate: a lawful marriage; a lawful heir.

3. appointed or recognized by law; legally qualified: a lawful king.

4. acting or living according to the law; law-abiding: a lawful man; a lawful community.

I hope you will not force Chinese users to use the 'Chinese version'.

What I hope more is that you just don't store any data in China.

Even if users can choose which server to use, it is still not safe for Chinese users, because Chinese government is known for polluting DNS, resolving DNS to the IP it prefers, a server under its control. There will be no security for Chinese users at all.

Check the comments on Chinese news sites. Almost everyone is saying, if Evernote stores data in China, they will stopping using Evernote and delete everything. If you insist on storing data in China, I don't know if you will gain any new users, but I'm sure you will lose many existing users.

Please! Please reconsider. Never store any data in China!

according to the treatment to Google etc., firms by the GOV of PRC,I STRONGLY ask Evernote,NEVER put any datacenter server in PRC.

Because the government of PRC would easily get the secret informations of PRC users.As we know,the PRC government is a authority without any sensor of shame,it would do everything possible to get the secret of normal citizen.

And,finally I'll make a warning to Evernote team,don't let us down,we Chinese users trust you,and happy to use your software,but if you put datacenter in China,that equals to betray us.

I am really disappointed that even that you know exactly that putting users' data in China is irresponsible for Chinese users because the data stored can be easily brought illegally by this evil government, you still insist that "some of users" can choose to store their data in this UNSAFE service.

Nonono,China has no laws. The only thing they have is that what the superior administrative officer like or what they want to do. If data center in China, when they want user's notes in EverNote, they Certainly can.

As I mentioned above, and to expand upon this article ( http://www.google.co...YetUfe45zVFRbuA ) the *completely separate* service we are planning will not have anything to do with Evernote User data.

Any users of the Evernote service will have their data stored on US servers.

I don't know if I really understand what your mean. I hope it's a truly *completely separate* service that when I'm using the *evernote* web/client/mobile it means I'm using the service in US or any other place but China, and if I really want to use the Chinese service, I must use a separate web to access it or download a separate client. If not so, I think you still put Chinese users in danger without the responsibility that a company or a Internet service should have.

Sorry for my poor English.

Reiterating Heather's post above, our announcement should also waylay any concerns with the two services remaining separate and distinct. Particularly:

What does this mean for our users inside China?

People in China now have the choice to create an account on Yinxiang Biji. Existing Evernote users may copy some or all of their notes and notebooks to a new account on the Chinese service, which will give these users all the speed and reliability advantages of the local service. Instructions on copying data to Yinxiang Biji are available here. The existing Evernote service will continue to work exactly as before, of course.

What does this mean for our users outside of China?

Absolutely nothing. Evernote and Yinxiang Biji are completely separate services with no connection to one another. Evernote data will not be stored on Yinxiang Biji servers, and vice-versa. Even though the two services are distinct, we think that over time the global community of Evernote users will benefit from great apps and integrations developed for Yinxiang Biji and configured to work with Evernote.

Read the full post here for more detail.

Reiterating Heather's post above, our announcement should also waylay any concerns with the two services remaining separate and distinct. Particularly:

What does this mean for our users inside China?

People in China now have the choice to create an account on Yinxiang Biji. Existing Evernote users may copy some or all of their notes and notebooks to a new account on the Chinese service, which will give these users all the speed and reliability advantages of the local service. Instructions on copying data to Yinxiang Biji are available here. The existing Evernote service will continue to work exactly as before, of course.

What does this mean for our users outside of China?

Absolutely nothing. Evernote and Yinxiang Biji are completely separate services with no connection to one another. Evernote data will not be stored on Yinxiang Biji servers, and vice-versa. Even though the two services are distinct, we think that over time the global community of Evernote users will benefit from great apps and integrations developed for Yinxiang Biji and configured to work with Evernote.

Read the full post here for more detail.

Found the new announcement here:

http://www.yinxiang.com/faq/

Yinxiang is a separate service,I think it's time to lock this thread. :)

Would someone mind posting that in Chinese within this thread, to stem some of the confusion? It may help people just finding us :)

Thank you Heather, you have been very helpful here.

Here is the not word-for-word translation for the clarification. I have added back translation below each item, just in case I misunderstood your points:

对于中国境内的 Evernote 用户:

1. Evernote (aka Evernote International)和印象笔记是完全不同的服务。

(Evernote, aka Evernote International, and Yinxiang Biji are totally different services hosted on different servers.)

2. 现有 Evernote 用户可以选择将 Evernote 笔记转移到印象笔记中,转移方法可通过访问此链接进行查看:http://www.yinxiang.com/faq/

(Existing Evernote users can feel free to choose to switch to Yinxiang Biji. Instructions can be found here:http://www.yinxiang.com/faq/)

3. 当然不愿意转移到印象笔记的 Evernote 用户可以选择继续使用 Evernote (Evernote International)。这一点在登录账户的时候需要注意,选择”Evernote International“或者”印象笔记“。具体信息同样可以在这里找到:http://www.yinxiang.com/faq/#a_1

(Chinese users who don't want to switch to Yinxiang Biji can keep using Evernote International - be careful when logging in, because you need to choose which service you'd like to use, Evernote International or Yinxiang Biji. More information here: http://www.yinxiang.com/faq/#a_1)

如果你只有 Evernote 账户而没有印象笔记账户,在登录的时候,即使你选择了登陆印象笔记,你也无法登陆印象笔记,而是会得到用户名/密码错误的提示。因为 Evernote 和印象笔记是完全不同的服务 - 为了便于理解,可以把这想象为用 Facebook 账户登陆人人网。

(If you have an account on the Evernote International service, you won't be able to login to Yinxiang Biji because you won't have an account there. If you accidentally try to login to the wrong service, you would get an invalid username/password error. *many thanks to dlu for clarifying this

(Chinese users who don't want to switch to Yinxiang Biji can keep using Evernote International - be careful when logging in, because you need to choose which service you'd like to use, Evernote International or Yinxiang Biji. More information here: http://www.yinxiang.com/faq/#a_1)

Just to clarify you can't accidentally login to the wrong service. If you have an account on the Evernote International service, you won't be able to login to Yinxiang Biji because you won't have an account there. If you accidentally try to login to the wrong service, you would get an invalid username/password error.

If you were to create an account on Yinxiang, it'll start off as an empty account. It is easiest to think of the two as completely separate services.

Just to clarify you can't accidentally login to the wrong service. If you have an account on the Evernote International service, you won't be able to login to Yinxiang Biji because you won't have an account there. If you accidentally try to login to the wrong service, you would get an invalid username/password error.

If you were to create an account on Yinxiang, it'll start off as an empty account. It is easiest to think of the two as completely separate services.

Thank you for the clarification dlu, I have updated my post.

• 1 year later...

As I mentioned above, and to expand upon this article ( http://www.google.co...YetUfe45zVFRbuA ) the *completely separate* service we are planning will not have anything to do with Evernote User data.

Well, I just tightened security using a firewall that sniffs all connections and found out that my Evernote app is logging into the CHINESE domain.  I work in Southern California.  WHY IS EVERNOTE AUTO CONNECTING ME TO THE CHINESE branded Evernote?  This looks like a security issue.

• Level 5*

Well, I just tightened security using a firewall that sniffs all connections and found out that my Evernote app is logging into the CHINESE domain.  I work in Southern California.  WHY IS EVERNOTE AUTO CONNECTING ME TO THE CHINESE branded Evernote?  This looks like a security issue.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Could you let us know more information? Specifically, I am wondering how you determined that Evernote is logging you into the Chinese server. My understanding is that our data is kept on servers in the US, and there would be nothing for you to find there, so this seems pretty odd. More details would help us get to the bottom of this.

Archived