(Archived) HELP: Mail to evernote not arriving

Hi ---

Firstly ... I LOVE Evernote to bits, and regularly email things to my Evernote account but today it seems to have stopped working.

I have tried sending from a) my samsung phone/gmail b ) my windows laptop/work email c) my mac/yahoo email

and nothing arrived since early this morning

I have created new notes on evernote on a) samsung, b ) windows/web c) mac evernote app

and everything has arrived in all evernote places, so synching is fine.

And, when I've cc'd other emails on the notes to Evernote the mails have arrived at the other email addresses, but not at evernote.

I'm at a loss to think what can be the problem ?????

PS I have made sure to check ALL notelogs not just my inbasket in case they had for some reason automatically filed.

Has anyone got any ideas??

Hi Mr Gazumped....

Yes I did - as I mentioned I've sent from three different places. I have my Evernote id set up as a nickname in all the places.

But, just to be sure, I also earlier created a new nickname in one place by copying/pasting from Evernote account information... and that didn't arrive either.

The nicknames have been set up for a long time, and it was fine earlier this morning as an email arrived... It just then seems to have stopped working today...

• Level 5*

Same thing is happening to me - don't panic, when this happens they normally just switch it on and off again (or something) and then mail comes though. I'll flag a couple of Evernote people, it's the weekend so getting a fix may not be as quick as during the week.

• Level 5*

Hi - OK email isn't an exact or immediate science, and the fact that Evernote haven't processed your mails may mean 1) they haven't been received or 2) they're busy with a long queue of mails and they'll get to you soon. If it's causing a problem I suggest you raise a support ticket and someone will look at your account to see whether the mails came in. If it's something you can work around over the weekend, I'd give it a day or two to see whether things kick back into action. If it's a queue issue, you'll get some additional comments on here - like Metrodon just did to me!

And - we're not formal around here, so 'gaz' is fine :)

To triple-triple check - I've just tried to create new mail from my Mac email just now by copying my Evernote email information in the account summary and as soon as I put that in the to: address field it translates it to my existing nickname. So I'm definitely definitely sending to the right place.

I'm Gazumped ;-)

Ahh wonderful thanks to both of you - I don't normally check what I've emailed to Evernote, so if there's been a delay in the past I probably wouldn't have noticed. It was only because I was sending some stuff to Evernote for my tax return (yuk) that I wanted to check that it was there before I deleted it from elsewhere.

I shall sit back in the sunshine and relax and trust that as its happening to others its nothing wrong at my end, just Evernote having a bit of a busy moment !! :-)

Brilliant fast responses by the way !! :-)

I have similar problem today. I shared a notebook with a friend, but she still hasn't received the sharing notification. Also, I helped a friend of mine register an Evernote account, but the verification email never arrive. Evernote really needs to allocate some supports during the weekend.

I have similar problem today. I shared a notebook with a friend, but she still hasn't received the sharing notification. Also, I helped a friend of mine register an Evernote account, but the verification email never arrive. Evernote really needs to allocate some supports during the weekend.

This is a different feature from the one foxyroxy was describing. You should try re-sharing and re-registering again. I know that sucks, and it's very possibly Evernote's fault for one reason or another, but it's probably something you can "fix" by doing again. Twice in the last week I submitted a support ticket, saw "Your ticket is confirmed" on the screen, and never got the confirmation email, meaning the ticket hadn't actually been filed. These are real problems on Evernote's end, but they're problems you can address yourself, more quickly, by going through the steps again.

Not working for me either...

What's not working? Multiple issues have been reported on this thread. If you're talking about foxyroxy's issues, see what Gazumped and Metrodon said.

This is a different feature from the one foxyroxy was describing. You should try re-sharing and re-registering again. I know that sucks, and it's very possibly Evernote's fault for one reason or another, but it's probably something you can "fix" by doing again. Twice in the last week I submitted a support ticket, saw "Your ticket is confirmed" on the screen, and never got the confirmation email, meaning the ticket hadn't actually been filed. These are real problems on Evernote's end, but they're problems you can address yourself, more quickly, by going through the steps again.

Not working for me either...

What's not working? Multiple issues have been reported on this thread. If you're talking about foxyroxy's issues, see what Gazumped and Metrodon said.

I am not receiving any emails that are sent to my Evernote email address. I have several gmail filters set up to forward to my Evernote address daily, and none of today's emails have arrived. As well, I have sent emails directly from both my iPad and Mac to my Evernote address and they don't arrive. The email address is in my address book and there's no chance I'm making a typo. When I said it wasn't working for me either, I was replying to the original thread.

I am having the same issue with emails not arriving. Ironically, I have not used it much and wanted to start sending more info/ emails to my Evernote.

Someone wrote that they need to post the emails?? It cannot be a manual process correct? Impossible.

Has this ever happened before?

• Level 5*

That's for letting us know guys -

While Evernote Support is technically closed on the weekends, we do have people monitoring the support queue and our forums (as well as our servers) for issues like this.

We'll be posting updates here: http://status.evernote.com/

Apr 28, 2012 (10:56 am PT)

Update: inbound/outbound issues

At this point we believe we identified the problem causing inbound & outbound email to the Evernote service to have been delayed. Email is now flowing in/out of the system but it will take a while for things to catch up.

Apr 28, 2012 (9:18 am PT)

Issues with inbound/outbound email

We are investigating some problems with the inbound/outbound email to the Evernote service. At the moment this means that notes you are sending in via email will be queued up and not show up in your notebooks and any notes you share via email will be delayed.

We’ll post updates as we work through the issue.

Watch your corrections, JMichael. Metrodon is British.

That said, if you're seriously the grammar police, Metrodon, I'm going to make a citizen's arrest about all those independent clauses separated by commas and dashes. Grammar INTERPOL will back me up when I say that that's not legal on either side of the Atlantic.

Evernote can be a singular (meaning the company entity itself), or a plural (meaning the group of people making up the company.)

I rule that either "is" or "are" would be correct ;)

• Level 5*

It appears that the forum now has a Grammar Court and that is in session.

Peter is correct, in proper English (The Queen's English, comments about Yanks etc etc, casual racism etc etc, world was a better place when most of the map was pink etc etc), Evernote is an are so to speak.

• Level 5*

So in other words, you would claim that it's proper to say that "the membership are hijacking the thread", rather than "the membership is hijacking the thread".

• Level 5*
Evernote are aware
Hey grammar cop, that should be "Evernote is aware". B)
Evernote can be a singular (meaning the company entity itself), or a plural (meaning the group of people making up the company.) I rule that either "is" or "are" would be correct ;)

In this case, it is highly unlikely that *everyone* in Evernote is aware of the issue.

The point is that Evernote, as a company is aware.

All we care about is that the company Evernote has been made aware of the issue.

We are not referring to individuals within the company.

Finally, common sense and common usage is that proper nouns, like company names, are used in the singular context.

Therefore, per the rules below, the noun is singular, and "is" is the proper verb.

Rule 15

Collective nouns such as team and staff may be either singular or plural depending on their use in the sentence.

Examples:

The staff is in a meeting.

Staff is acting as a unit here.

The staff are in disagreement about the findings.

The staff are acting as separate individuals in this example.

The sentence would read even better as:

The staff members are in disagreement about the findings.

• Level 5*
Evernote are aware
Hey grammar cop, that should be "Evernote is aware". B)
Evernote can be a singular (meaning the company entity itself), or a plural (meaning the group of people making up the company.) I rule that either "is" or "are" would be correct ;)

In this case, it is highly unlikely that *everyone* in Evernote is aware of the issue.

The point is that Evernote, as a company is aware.

All we care about is that the company Evernote has been made aware of the issue.

We are not referring to individuals within the company.

Finally, common sense and common usage is that proper nouns, like company names, are used in the singular context.

Therefore, per the rules below, the noun is singular, and "is" is the proper verb.

Rule 15

Collective nouns such as team and staff may be either singular or plural depending on their use in the sentence.

Examples:

The staff is in a meeting.

Staff is acting as a unit here.

The staff are in disagreement about the findings.

The staff are acting as separate individuals in this example.

The sentence would read even better as:

The staff members are in disagreement about the findings.

you don't want to go down this road with someone from the uk, because they don't play by the same rules, and you'll get pummeled by inexplicable comma usage and other things that will make your head spin.

• Level 5*

you don't want to go down this road with someone from the uk, because they don't play by the same rules, and you'll get pummeled by inexplicable comma usage and other things that will make your head spin.

I fear not. :ph34r:

Yeah, sorry JMichael, but if you read anything about collective noun use in British English (like the page I linked to) you'll see that, in his country, Metrodon was totally correct in saying that.

He's still totally wrong in punctuation a lot of the time—everywhere in the world.

• Level 5*

GM and Peter: You can come to the defense of Metrodon if you want. I don't really care.

As I recall, he doesn't have any trouble speaking for himself. ;)

I live in the USA, and I don't really care what the Brits want to do with their language.

My original post was in jest --- you invite close inspection of your own behavior anytime you set yourself up as a "cop".

I would not have said a word if he had not appointed himself "Grammar Police". ;)

I stand by my statement on grammar. It is correct based on:

1. My aunt, who had a degree in English, taught US high school English, and all of her nephews and nieces correct English her whole life :)
  2. My strict high school English teacher
  3. GrammarBook.com
  4. Experience

As I recall, we won the battle with Britain. :D

So their English rules don't apply to me.

Finally, this is an informal forum.

I and everyone else will make spelling, typing, and grammatical errors.

Who cares???

Please feel free to carry on this grammar debate if you like.

I'm out of here. Got better things to do. B)

• Level 5*

good idea. that was kind of my suggestion about how to deal with the grammar cop. i wasn't trying to speak for him or come to his aid. rather, i was coming to yours. don't go down this rabbit hole with someone from the uk, because you won't get any satisfaction :)

• Level 5*
Hehehe, what about those of us who are Americans but went to school in the UK? ;)

Why, I'd be gobsmacked if there's a pigeonhole you could stick *those* poor sods in.

I think that "poor sods" about covers it...

• 4 weeks later...

Crammer is all very fine but doesnt help with email problem. I have not been able to email to evernote for ages now,

I get The following message to <me> was undeliverable.

The reason for the problem:

5.4.7 - Delivery expired (message too old) 'timeout'

this is ridiculous. One of my laptops has windows 2003 and since updating evernote I don't have send to button so have to rely on forwarding by email but it just doesnt work.

I always loved evernote but this sucks.

• Level 5*

Hi + welcome to the Forums. There have been no reports of other email issues, so this looks like something unique to you. Evernote should work fine on WS2003, and there have been several updates to the clients recently - can you confirm which version of Evernote you're running? And where do the error messages come from? Are these being received in your email inbox after a failed 'send' attempt in Evernote? You mention you haven't been able to send email to Evernote 'for ages' but there have been several updates to Evernote quite recently. Do you have the correct Evernote email address?

• 6 months later...

I'm having the same "emailed clips never arriving in my EN account" issue that seems to have been resolved earlier. Is anybody else having this issue now? Bonus data point, my different EN apps are now out of sync (iPhone, iPad, web & Mac) I've submitted a ticket, but I'm hoping somebody can help me earlier. I'm pretty wedded to EN and I'm now stuck in my work progress...argh

-thx Ozma

• Level 5*

Your emails will presumably show up once the syncing gets sorted out - they're probably being received at Evernote Central but not getting back to your local client. If you're sure all your clients are online but just not getting updated, try taking all but one offline and if/ when that gets some action, add the rest back one at a time. Hopefully support will get back to you with something constructive soon. If you post your ticket number in this thread someone at Evernote may be able to second guess what's going on.

• 4 weeks later...

I've also emailed a number of notes to my Evernote account - but they haven't arrived. Syncing is working fine and the emailed notes are not available on the web Evernote either.

Is it likely that they are stuck in a queue again?

What would you say the average time delay is between sending the email and having the note show up in Evernote with a sync?

I know there are a lot of variables in this but just a ballpark would be good.

Thanks

• Level 5*

Argh. Find a ball of string. Cut off a piece. That's how long. Depends whether you're Free or Premium, mailing to the correct address, internet traffic, and syncing with the central server. I sent a Gmail to my account earlier, synced with the server, and got my new note immediately. Other days it's taken a while. Normally within the hour.

• Level 5*

It was on the order of a couple of hours for me, tops (could have been less, I didn't look until I saw this post). I am a premium user, but I doubt that that's going to make much difference.

• 7 months later...

It is apparently happening again.  I was able to send email to my Evernote notebooks yesterday with very fast turnaround.  Today, I have been waiting for four hours with nothing showing up.

I wonder if the email receiver server system is fragile.  I wonder if it has issues when a bunch of email gets to it all at once.  I have filed a help ticket but no response yet (which is expected as I am not a premium user, yet).  

Anyone else seeing delays in email sent to EN?

I have sent from my personal email server, from Gmail, and from my corporate Outlook/Exchange server.

Doug

• Level 5*

Emails can be subject to erratic delays and occasional unexplained losses - Service Providers use automated systems to monitor and identify spam traffic and shut down offending mail 'hotspots',  but professional spammers tend to use other people's machines and their,  normally very respectable,  mail senders to send out the odd million emails,  which then get benched until it all gets sorted out.  And of course Evernote gets ebbs and flows in the tide of emails they probably receive.

Despite all that things tend to work pretty well most of the time.  However you can't measure performance against a schedule,  and if the transmission of data is essential to you I would suggest you look at a backup system of some kind.  At least you have your "sent" folder(s) as a record - if the mails don't turn up,  and Support don't have anything more constructive to say,  you can at least resend them...

Archived