HOWTO: Get notified of changes within shared notebooks

I am sharing notebooks with colleagues of mine. Is there a way to be notified if somebody makes a change in one of the notes? For example we use notes to brainstorm about ideas ... I would like to know if somebody responded.

As far as I can tell this is not possible to be notified, or is there a way?

If not ... how do you guys use notebooks to share work? How do you know that your partner has made a comment?

Thanks for your help

Nope, sorry, there's no way to do this.

As I wrote in a recent post elsewhere:

Despite Evernote's advertising as a collaboration tool, it really isn't good for that in its current design. If you want to see changes your colleague is making to documents, you're far better off using Google Docs, Pages, or (shudder) Word.

While there aren't any native ways, you can either use RSS - subscribe to the RSS of the notebook and have the changes come to email or even SMS if you use IFTTT.com or there is a new integration called Hojoki that tracks notifications. Hope this helps.

@Lindsey, as far as I can tell this only works with PUBLIC notebooks and not with notebooks that I share with specific persons, or does it?

I am playing with it a bit more ... but could it also be that this function is not in the Evernote for Mac version as I do not see the RSS option in Public either, or am I just missing something?

Richard - Hojoki absolutely works with privately shared notebooks and for public, you absolutely have an RSS Feed. :) If you are using a mac, if you click on the public url of your shared notebook you should see 'RSS' in your browser bar. Click that to subscribe and see your RSS address. Another way is to add your public url to Google Reader. Just click 'subscribe' and paste it in. Once subscribed, right click on the notebook and you'll see 'view details and statistics' and voila that's your RSS Feed address. An example of a public url is here - https://www.evernote.com/pub/lindseycholmes/shared. Link while you're there please!

I also discovered another way to get notifications through IFTTT, Boxcar. This app works on iPhone and Mac. Let me know if you have any more questions.

@Lindsey, as far as I can tell this only works with PUBLIC notebooks and not with notebooks that I share with specific persons, or does it?

I am playing with it a bit more ... but could it also be that this function is not in the Evernote for Mac version as I do not see the RSS option in Public either, or am I just missing something?

• Level 5*

Hi Lindsey, I see a url for a 'public notebook' but not one that I share with somebody specific.

Hi. I don't know if this will help, but the forum messed up lindsey's link. Here it is

http://www.evernote....ycholmes/shared

If you want to share something, you right click (Mac) on the notebook, click share, and then you will have the choice to share it with the world, or share it with someone specific. I think lindsey is saying that all shared notebooks have urls, and if you go to lindsey's notebook, you can click on the RSS feed icon to get her added to your feed. You would do the same thing with your own notebook. You may not have an RSS feed in your browser bar. If you are using Google Chrome, you can go here to get it. https://chrome.googl...mmcbfjd/related

Hi Grumpy,

thanks for the response, I do know that you can link to a PUBLICLY shared folder, but the question is ... can you also link via RSS to a PRIVATE folder. I assume not, but I understand from Lindsey that it is possible. Or I just misunderstand her.

• Level 5*

Hi Grumpy,

thanks for the response, I do know that you can link to a PUBLICLY shared folder, but the question is ... can you also link via RSS to a PRIVATE folder. I assume not, but I understand from Lindsey that it is possible. Or I just misunderstand her.

I don't know why you couldn't. As long as you are logged in, it ought to work. I haven't given it a try yet, though.

• Level 5*

Hi Grumpy, if you have time and could have a look ... it would be very much appreciated ... perhaps it 'is' possible but I do not see a url ;)

Hi. I guess it is not possible after all. I created a shared notebook and sent the link to another email address (apparently, you cannot share with yourself). I opened that link from my email, and then tried to subscribe to it, but it did not work. I am not an expert on sharing notebooks, so maybe lindsey can tell us more about this.

Anyhow, to get the link, you just open the email. Apparently, as far as I can tell, there is no way to get the link from inside your app.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Rich and Grump - forgive me. Apparently I didn't subscribe to this topic. Maybe my post was unclear. I was trying to iterate that you can use RSS as a trigger for public, no private here. For private, our one option is the integration Hojoki. You don't need RSS, you just input your Evernote credentials and you can select the privately shared notebook to monitor. I really want to develop this integration for the DevCup, along with a million others - I have a little DevCup ADD, but there are API limitations... Fighting through. Hope this helps!

If you are on a Mac, our current beta has the "Activity Stream" feature, specifically to notify you of changes within your shared notebooks.

Get it here:

• 6 months later...

The Activity Stream is a step in the right direction, but not good enough. For team collaboration I need email notifications about created notes, changed notes, moved notes, added documents, etc. My team mates don't live in Evernote, they need to be evanglized, and even if they did live in Evernote, it's not easy to know exactly what changed with a note when you open it up. (Which reminds me, each note should have a change log. And, even better, each note should have a wiki-like "Discussion" page.)

I was hoping Evernote Business would finally add this necessary collaboration element, but it appears to be missing. Until then, we'll continue using Trello + Google Docs. Sadly.

This should be a no-brainer: Teams can only collaborate if they communicate. If Evernote doesn't build-in communication tools, it's almost useless for distributed collaboration.

Rich

Hey Rich - try Zapier. You may be able to hack a notification system to your needs. Amongst other cool stuff.

Also since you use Trello, this integration might be good for you - http://jaworski.net/busylife-overview/

The Activity Stream is a step in the right direction, but not good enough. For team collaboration I need email notifications about created notes, changed notes, moved notes, added documents, etc. My team mates don't live in Evernote, they need to be evanglized, and even if they did live in Evernote, it's not easy to know exactly what changed with a note when you open it up. (Which reminds me, each note should have a change log. And, even better, each note should have a wiki-like "Discussion" page.)

I was hoping Evernote Business would finally add this necessary collaboration element, but it appears to be missing. Until then, we'll continue using Trello + Google Docs. Sadly.

This should be a no-brainer: Teams can only collaborate if they communicate. If Evernote doesn't build-in communication tools, it's almost useless for distributed collaboration.

Rich

• 1 year later...

A group of us got together to see how Evernote would assist us in our jobs communicating to each other. We came across the problem of :

once we have shared a notebook there are no notifications for everyone to see any changes or new notes.

I went to this blog but found that Evernote has not responded to this very needed feature for teams

I did see in 2012 The Support Maven said this: If you are on a Mac, our current beta has the "Activity Stream" feature, specifically to notify you of changes within your shared notebooks

But I could not find anyway to activate a notification feature 

No luck finding anything

Any ideas????

This won't help everyone but it helped me - I was unaware of changes being made to shared notebooks and I need to know what they were and when they happened.

Evernote for Mac uses the notification centre feature in OSX. You can configure it to notify you of recent changes using either badges or alerts. Badges appear and then disappear, whereas alerts remain onscreen until they are dismissed. 

I configured alerts from the default Banners style  to the "Alert" style used system preferences to make Evernote the top of my Notification Centre list. Now I get notified of changes or additions in shared notebooks and if i want quick access to then I can use notification centre to do that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived