Viewing Tags On Mac vs iPhone/iPad - why I don't tag

jpkaplan

Please excuse me if this has been discussed in the many debates of tags vs notebooks. If it has please direct me to the exact post as I can't find one.

The reason I don't like tags is the way they are set up in iPad and iPhone makes them to me very user unfriendly. In other words, on EN in mac, you can click on a note and it shows the corresponding tags. With the both iOS devices, you don't had this. Instead you have to use the "Tag" option which list far to many tags and you can only click on one vs narrowing it down.

Again, if this has been discussed please show me and if I am missing something would love to hear. I am trying to find a way to use tags but just having trouble with the workflow on the iOS devices.

• Level 5*

Hi jpkaplan. Welcome to the forums!

I don't know if this is a tags vs. notebooks question (I think we are still waiting to hear about who emerged victorious from that Thunderdome contest), but one between desktop and mobile. Here, I think that even I (a strong advocate of the iPad) have to admit that the desktop version is a lot easier to use. I am not sure what you mean by clicking a note and seeing the corresponding tags, since the iPad shows the tags in the header of each note as well when you are editing. Perhaps you mean that the details (beyond the title of the note) are hidden on the iPad when you are not editing. If so, then I agree that this is a frustrating state of affairs.

Yes, my iPad is bigger than my netbook display, but shows me much less information and the app is much less functional (like many iPad apps) in comparison. I don't understand that very well. However, those of us using iPads for work on a daily basis have big expectations for Evernote in iOS this year! Let's keep our fingers crossed for UI improvements.

Thank you for responding.

What I am referring to is when you click on a notebook (sorry, didn't mean to say note) in EN mac, on the left column it shows all the tags that apply to that notebook. This isn't in either iOS app. You have to click on the note then it shows the corresponding tag. Therefore, I use stacks and notebooks to drill down to what I am looking for. I would use tags if they worked the same way visually in ios.

• Level 5*
Here, I think that even I (a strong advocate of the iPad) have to admit that the desktop version is a lot easier to use. I am not sure what you mean by clicking a note and seeing the corresponding tags, since the iPad shows the tags in the header of each note as well when you are editing.

GM, I think I now understand why you prefer to use keywords in the Note Title rather than Tags.

• It is because your primary device is the iPad and the iPad makes it so difficult to use and view Tags.
  • On the other hand, the Title (with your keywords) is visible.
  • So it makes perfect sense to use Title keywords over Tags.

Problems with Using Tags in EN iPad:

1. It is very difficult to View the Tags on a Note
    • When viewing a list of Notes in EN iPad, as you tap on each Note in the left panel (Snippet view) the Note Title and Contents are displayed in the right panel. However, the Tags for the Note are NOT shown anywhere.
    • In order to view the Tags on a Note, you must make an extra tap on the Details link.
    • So there is no way to quickly go though a list of Notes, viewing the Tags

[*]It is very difficult to filter the Note List by one or more tags

• The only Tag view is by large icons (which are of no help).
  • If you have more than about 20 Tags, it is cumbersome to find the Tag of interest
  • If you have a lot of Tags (> 100) it becomes almost impossible to fin the Tag. It is certainly not practical.
  • Both EN Win and EN Mac provide several easy ways to filter Notes by one or more tags. None of these are available on the EN iPad.

• Level 5*
Here, I think that even I (a strong advocate of the iPad) have to admit that the desktop version is a lot easier to use. I am not sure what you mean by clicking a note and seeing the corresponding tags, since the iPad shows the tags in the header of each note as well when you are editing.

GM, I think I now understand why you prefer to use keywords in the Note Title rather than Tags.

• It is because your primary device is the iPad and the iPad makes it so difficult to use and view Tags.
  • On the other hand, the Title (with your keywords) is visible.
  • So it makes perfect sense to use Title keywords over Tags.

Problems with Using Tags in EN iPad:

1. It is very difficult to View the Tags on a Note
    • When viewing a list of Notes in EN iPad, as you tap on each Note in the left panel (Snippet view) the Note Title and Contents are displayed in the right panel. However, the Tags for the Note are NOT shown anywhere.
    • In order to view the Tags on a Note, you must make an extra tap on the Details link.
    • So there is no way to quickly go though a list of Notes, viewing the Tags

• It is very difficult to filter the Note List by one or more tags
    • The only Tag view is by large icons (which are of no help).
    • If you have more than about 20 Tags, it is cumbersome to find the Tag of interest
    • If you have a lot of Tags (> 100) it becomes almost impossible to fin the Tag. It is certainly not practical.
    • Both EN Win and EN Mac provide several easy ways to filter Notes by one or more tags. None of these are available on the EN iPad.

That was one factor in my decision. But, I would still be using my system even if I wasn't on the iPad :)

• Level 5*
That was one factor in my decision. But, I would still be using my system even if I wasn't on the iPad :)

Then I guess I'll never understand what advantage you see in using Title Keywords over Tags.

But then, I don't have to. ;)

To each his own.

Archived