BUG: Pinned taskbar icon doesn't behave properly

Programs that are pinned on the Windows 7 Taskbar are supposed to use their existing pinned icon when they open. Evernote creates a new taskbar button when it's opened, even though its icon is already pinned to the taskbar (making 2 icons at the same time).

See attached image.

Evernote is the only Windows program I've seen that makes the taskbar behave this way.

post-91478-0-69189800-1335281300_thumb.p

This has happened to me before. I think after an update of some sort.

EDIT: On further testing, I will guess that you probably have pinned the shortcut to the taskbar. That gives the same result for me.

Try unpinning the Evernote icon, and closing evernote.

Run Evernote again, and pin that icon.

Oh wow, @spgSCOTT you're absolutely right. This is really strange, since I've always pinned programs that way before. But anyways, the fault was clearly on me, and Evernote doesn't have a bug.

Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have Evernote installed on three seperate Windows 7 x64 machines of varying specification/hardware and any time I pin Evernote to the taskbar, the icon disappears. I've tried reinstalling it, unpinning>closing>opening>repinning, unpinning>kill processes>opening>repinning, restarts inbetween, chanting, praying, licking my monitor - all to no avail.

The issue has spanned all the versions of Evernote I've updated to (many).

I love Evernote but I love pinning applications to my taskbar too and if they could live in sweet harmony, my life would be complete.

Anyone got a solution?

Papa

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm in the same boat as cdcmicro; I have made sure EN is closed, and have tried "pinning" from the start menu, and from "All Programs," but EN always fires up a second icon.

I pin other programs all the time without issue.

That is odd, pinning from the start menu works for me...wonder why it doesn't for you?

You could try completely exiting EN (via File -> Exit) and running it again, then pinning that and see what happens.

I think it is better to pin the window while it is running, since you are pinning the result, and not potentially a shortcut.

Don't know how much this will help you though, if at all...

Scott

What about running EN so you have the pinned icon and the duplicate icon (actually for EN)

If you pin the second, spawned icon and then unpin the original, does it work?

If not, I think we may have to have a look at what is going on in the folder:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Will have to look into it a bit more though...

• 3 months later...

Pinning Evernote from shortcut, exe, icon in taskbar after launching program, or anywhere else does not get rid of the second icon popping up.

Icon itself is gone everyday, just shows the unknown file type icon.

Any progress?

• 1 month later...

Bump...

Same issues and I've tried lots of different solutions. My problems are:

1. Once I've created an Evernote taskbar icon and open the program, a second taskbar icon is spawned, at the far right/end of the row of my taskbar icons.

2. I get inconsistent software behavior in that sometimes when I close EN, the main taskbar icon remains. Sometimes when I close EN, and *both* (the original and the spawned) taskbar icons vanish. There doesn't seem to be any particular pattern.

Evernote, want to weigh in on this issue???

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, all

I have the same annoying problem of this strange behaviour pinned taskbar icon, started several months ago, on my 3 different PCs with Win 7 Pro, one of them 32 bits.

Tried all suggested solutions, none functioned.

So, did a format on the 32 bits machine, with upgrade the MB and processor, to a 64 bits Win 7 Pro.

After Win 7 64 bits says Hello to me, the first software that I installed was Evernote; guess what? same odd behaviour, unpinning itself; besides that, the same problem of not starting minimized at system tray...

Evernote, we have a problem...
  • 1 month later...

Has there been a workable solution for this?

I pinned the .exe file (NOT the shortcut) to the taskbar. Each time I select "Pin to taskbar"

Untitled_picture2.png?noCache=1363798757

the elephant icon automatically changes from:

Untitled_picture.png?noCache=1363798383

to the unknown windows file type icon

Untitled_picture_2.png

If I select "unpin", it returns to the elephant icon. Obviously I would like the elephant icon when pinned as well. 

I tried uninstalling-reinstalling. No dice. 

I made sure I was pinning .exe. No dice. 

To reiterate, this is not a dupe icon issue, but a DEAD icon issue. 

Using Evernote 4.6.4.8136, Windows 7 64-bit

A solution that worked for me is to unpin evernote, then run evernote and right click on the running icon and click on "pin this to taskbar"

This worked for me. Also works if you're having trouble getting jump lists to work in the start menu.

• 5 months later...

What about running EN so you have the pinned icon and the duplicate icon (actually for EN)

If you pin the second, spawned icon and then unpin the original, does it work?

If not, I think we may have to have a look at what is going on in the folder:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Will have to look into it a bit more though...

I think Scott is right on the money. His suggestion worked for me.

• 2 weeks later...

My issue is exactly what is described above. Exactly.

Scott's solution did not work for me.

What I needed to do was "rebuild the icon cache"

The last command will restart the computer, so be sure to close and save anything that you are working on first.Open command prompt on Windows 7/Windows 8:ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCachetaskkill /IM explorer.exe /FDEL "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" /Ashutdown /r /f /t 00Source: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49819-icon-cache-rebuild.html
  • 3 months later...

Here we are and 2 years later this still hasn't been fixed.

Basically, every time there is an Evernote update (which is becoming often), it wipes out the pinning to the task bar.   I am getting sick and tired of having to re-pin and replace the icon on my Desktop.

Evernote - get it together!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Same here. Got 2 icons now... 

This appears to actually be a bug in the Windows 10 shell. As soon as a program calls SetCurrentProcessExplicitAppUserModelID, you'll get 2 icons when pinning. (I reproduced this in a completely separate program)

• 1 year later...

I was about to post a topic on this but I see the issue has been raised some time back.

For what its worth I'll chime in to say that I am seeing the same problem n the latest Beta on Windows 7: icon goes missing once the icon is pinned to the taskbar (all the various ways to do this fail in the same way).

Archived