(Archived) Evernote for Mac 3.1.0 Beta 1

dlu

Idea

Hello all!

We have a 3.1.0 Beta 1 ready for you. There's been some ruckus over the 3.0.7 GA that we're trying to resolve (insert blah blah blah about servers, thingies, and more thingies). We'll try to clean everything up and deliver a GA to you as soon as possible. But in the meantime, we wanted to continue to get feedback on Betas.

In the 3.1.0 Beta 1 we have some design tweaking to the account info window, and the big feature is the Multiselect view. This view appears when you select multiple notes.

There is some known issues with tagging. You should be able to add in multiple tags to all of the selected notes. Currently there is no way to delete a tag that is common to all the notes selected, but we are working on that. The multiselect view also does not show any tags that are common to only some of the notes selected.

thanks!

If you've opted into the Betas, you can go to Help >> Check for Updates

If you're not auto-updating, you can get the beta here: http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/mac/prerelease/Evernote_241960.zip

47 replies to this idea

Incredibly, this problem is *still* happening in v3.1.0 beta 1.

I removed any remnant of Evernote from my computer (i.e., user library > Application Support > Evernote, plist files, application), restarted, and then reinstalled the application and downloaded a fresh database. Then I assigned a tag to a note and moved it to a different notebook. When I go to that tag, the number next to the tag is 34 and the number of displayed notes is 33 (while in All Notebooks). Aaargh!

To convey the seriousness of this problem, imagine you collect all your tax documents in Evernote, and while gathering documents for your accountant, you search tag:tax tag:2011 -- and Evernote only shows you *some* of your notes, without your even realizing there is missing information. Not good, right?

Do you get a re-indexing dialogue after redownloading your database?

• Level 5*

keclapp & maa,

Thanks for the report - ticket #6597 and #6598 have been filed

It would be very helpful to us if you could please quote the posts that report the bug.

What about the other bugs we have reported in this thread?

• Level 5*

Search problem - I've just opened a ticket for this (#16051-93104).

Searching for a string that includes a _ does not return any results even though the string exists in both notes themselves and PDFs.

We apologize for the inconvenience, however it appears there is currently a bug causing this.

We appreciate you taking the time to send us this error. We have filed an internal bug report with the QA team lead.

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you so much for your patience!!!

Some times, when I grab a snippet view with the mouse, and pull it onto a new notebook name, then all the notes in the first note appear to have moved into the second notebook. It is not true, they did not actually move, but for awhile the wrong notebook name is displayed in the heading for all the notes in the first notebook.

As an example. All my notes arrive in a notebook called InBox. As I process these notes, I move them into another notebook. If I type the name of the new notebook in the heading, all is well, but if I select the snippet view and drag it onto the notebook name in the far left column, then all the notes in InBox show the second notebook name.

Clicking on another notebook in the far left column and then clicking on InBox seems to correct the problem.

DLU, what is causing all these new bugs? Does it have anything to do with the new UI for multi-select Notes?

I can't remember when a single Mac Beta had this many new bugs.

Some of these seem related. (I suspect several of the crashes are related and we think we have a fix). A few of them seem random and a few we're still tracking down. We should have another beta to you soon.

• Level 5*

Search problem - I've just opened a ticket for this (#16051-93104).

Searching for a string that includes a _ does not return any results even though the string exists in both notes themselves and PDFs.

We apologize for the inconvenience, however it appears there is currently a bug causing this.

We appreciate you taking the time to send us this error. We have filed an internal bug report with the QA team lead.

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you so much for your patience!!!

This is hurting me... the _ is used a lot by us nerds, not being able to use it in a search is painful.

Note links aren't working correctly. I have a note that I use as a table of contents for about 30 different notes, where each item links to a particular note. When I click on a link, it takes me to that note in the list, but the note that's displayed is still the list. In other words, the note selected in the list is not the note displayed on the right.

Update: Restarting Evernote corrected this problem.

I removed any remnant of Evernote from my computer (i.e., user library > Application Support > Evernote, plist files, application), restarted, and then reinstalled the application and downloaded a fresh database. Then I assigned a tag to a note and moved it to a different notebook. When I go to that tag, the number next to the tag is 34 and the number of displayed notes is 33 (while in All Notebooks). Aaargh!

To convey the seriousness of this problem, imagine you collect all your tax documents in Evernote, and while gathering documents for your accountant, you search tag:tax tag:2011 -- and Evernote only shows you *some* of your notes, without your even realizing there is missing information. Not good, right?

Do you get a re-indexing dialogue after redownloading your database?

Yes. When I download a new database, everything is fine for all notes created or modified prior to the download. But the problems start happening for new or modified notes (but not all of them; it's an intermittent problem).

• Level 5*

Trying to add a couple of files to a note..."attachments" show up as 0 bytes so they aren't really there of course. Closed and reopened and seems OK now.

This is the first time I've thought about coming off the beta track, feels like we are doing more than just early UAT....

Trying to add a couple of files to a note..."attachments" show up as 0 bytes so they aren't really there of course. Closed and reopened and seems OK now.

This is the first time I've thought about coming off the beta track, feels like we are doing more than just early UAT....

I upgraded to 3.0.7 beta 5 from 3.0.6 because I was experiencing very problematic bugs with 3.0.6. Now 3.1.0 beta 1 is the worst of the lot, for me at least. Is there any way to go back to one of the 3.0.7 betas, or are there only two options, the most current beta and the last stable release?

BUG: Opening Note in Separate Window Causes Evernote to Become Unresponsive

It seems that opening any window other than the main EN window can cause a problem.

You mean opening up a note in single note view? Or opening a second Evernote Window? I haven't had either give me issues

• Level 5*

It seems that opening any window other than the main EN window can cause a problem.

You mean opening up a note in single note view? Or opening a second Evernote Window? I haven't had either give me issues

Single Note view.

Doesn't always happen. It seems to happen mostly right after a new note (which is opened in a separate window) is created, maybe before sync, and I am going back and forth between a note in the main window and the new one in the separate window.

Single Note view.

Doesn't always happen. It seems to happen mostly right after a new note (which is opened in a separate window) is created, maybe before sync, and I am going back and forth between a note in the main window and the new one in the separate window.

I'm assuming you're using the Evernote helper to create a new note in a new window?

I'm assuming you're using the Evernote helper to create a new note in a new window?

Nope. Just double-clicking on the Note in the Snippet view, AFTER the note was created.

The internal build I've been using hasn't exhibited this behavior. I'll see if QA can pay attention to this area and I'll get another beta out soon

• Level 5*

The internal build I've been using hasn't exhibited this behavior. I'll see if QA can pay attention to this area and I'll get another beta out soon

dlu, the behavior I am seeing looks similar to the one Ursula described above (on page 2):

I have a support ticket on this already, but thought I would ask here in case anyone else is having the same problem.

In the list or snippets view, the preview pane gets stuck when I try to select another note. If I have a note open in a separate pane and click on an internal link, the same thing happens. I can't view the note I'm selecting. The first note's preview is still in the pane.

I can fix it by quitting and restarting evernote, but that is becoming tedious. I have noticed this behavior for a couple of days, since updating.

dlu, the behavior I am seeing looks similar to the one Ursula described above (on page 2):

I have a support ticket on this already, but thought I would ask here in case anyone else is having the same problem.

In the list or snippets view, the preview pane gets stuck when I try to select another note. If I have a note open in a separate pane and click on an internal link, the same thing happens. I can't view the note I'm selecting. The first note's preview is still in the pane.

I can fix it by quitting and restarting evernote, but that is becoming tedious. I have noticed this behavior for a couple of days, since updating.

This is a likely to have been fixed by some of the stability improvements in beta 2. As always, you can find me in the beta 2 thread if you still see this come up :)

This latest version broke the link with Reeder app. Every time I try to send an article from Reeder to Evernote I get a “database error” message.

Saw that other thread, we'll look into it

Another elegant enhancement with the Multiselect feature.

Harkening back to previous complaints about the recent changes to the Info window, the logical next step would be to include the Created and Updated fields in the Multiselect view in order to enable batch timeline modification.

Keep up the great work.

Multi-select is very nice! Well done.

I wonder if once you merge notes whether you can split them again without having to do some gymnastic copy and paste work?

I reported one bug to support - it seems that now if I right click and Open a PDF/JPG in Preview and rotate a page, for example, and then save it, Evernote says it's been removed from the notebook and wants to know if I want to make a new note to replace it. Truth is that it was saved just fine and if I say yes I'll have two notes. I'm sure it's something small but wanted to get it out there so others could experiment with it for better feedback.

Thanks for the steady work on new stuff for us!

Don't know if this is the right method for reporting bugs, but after a quick glance through the forums I haven't seen any where else obvious.

In 3.1.0 beta 1, opening an attachment to edit breaks the link with Evernote. I've verified this with pages09 as well as Adobe CS5 programs. once you open up and edit the attachment in it's original program and hit save (or in Pages09, every time the program autosaves), you receive an error saying the attachment has been moved and asks you if you want to save it into a new note. Even if you save it into a new note the process just repeats itself.

This is a reproducable bug. I've downgraded to the latest full release of Evernote and the bug goes away, re-upgrade to the beta version and the problem returns.

here's what I'm running:

MacBook Pro

2.66 Intel Core i7

4 GB 1067 DDR3

Nvidia GeForce GT 330M, 512 MB

OSX Lion 10.7.3

Pages, latest release.

Adobe CS5 (Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc)

Even with the bug, thanks for all the good work. I love the multi note selection features and the word count in the info is a Godsend! Keep up the good work.

• Level 5*

BUG -- Evernote Crashes When I Attempt to Add Table Above Images

Steps to Reproduce

0. Create Note with 5 images from email sent from iPhone Photos

1. Move 2 images side by side

2. Edit images using SnagIT 2.0

3. Put cursor above images, and insert 2 blank lines

4. Click on Create Table button, and enter 2 rows, 2 col, 50%

5. Click on OK button -- nothing happens

6. Click on Cancel button -- nothing happens

7. Press CTRL+Q

Evernote quits/crashes and I get a problem report, which I submitted

I also submitted a Ticket.

Mac OS 10.7.3

MacBook Air 13-inch (2011)

Note links aren't working correctly. I have a note that I use as a table of contents for about 30 different notes, where each item links to a particular note. When I click on a link, it takes me to that note in the list, but the note that's displayed is still the list. In other words, the note selected in the list is not the note displayed on the right.

Hello!

I simply loved the card view. Great job!

Quick feedback about this new version: when you drag a not to a tag the update date does not work.

If you're using "Final Version" as your time management system, this invalidates the use of Evernote :(

Thank you for this awesome product!

Lion 10.7.3 and 3.1.0 beta 1 crashed every time I open, edit, and close a plain text note. I turned off beta updates then turned them on again. The I tried opening, editing, saving then closing and now the original behavior has not returned. I don't know if writing the pref file solved this or what?

As a general rule the menu bar item has not loaded at login (Snow Leopard or Lion) for months and none of the betas seem to help. After a reboot the startup item appears as "Unknown". Of course the iTunes helper keeps reinstalling too and that does the same thing.

• Level 5*

This beta is shaping up to be the most unstable beta I've seen in a while.

BUG: EN Mac 3.1.0 Beta1 Gets Stuck in "Add Link to Text" Dialog

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Create new Note by FF Clip of EN Forum Post
  2. Type text into grey block of clipped post that contains Forum User Name
  3. Switch to Browser with Forum Post, right-click on Post#, and select "Copy Link location"
  4. Switch back to Evernote
  5. Select text (from #2), and press CTRL+K to open Apply Link Dialog
  6. Press CTRL+V to paste link text into Dialog
  7. Click on "OK" Button ==> nothing happens
  8. Click on "Cancel" button ==> nothing happens
  9. Close all open Mac apps, and try #7 and #8 ==> nothing happens, Dialog still open
  10. Press CTRL+Q
  11. Evernote does a normal quit -- no crash report
  12. Start Evernote
  13. Repeat Steps #5-#7
  14. Link successfully created.

This is the 2nd BUG in this Beta that happens when a modal Dialog window is opened shortly after new Note is created.

1. Create Table Dialog (posted above)
  2. Add Link (this post)

Do I need to also file a trouble ticket on this bug?

Environment:

• EN Mac 3.1.0 Beta 1 (241960)
  • Mac OS 10.7.3
  • MacBook Air 13-inch (2011)
  • FF Mac 11.0
  • Evernote Web Clipper 5.1.0.241767 (beta)

• Level 5*

good job with multiselect. i like all of the options.

1. multiselect

however, when you multiselect in listview, a lot of the options cannot be viewed on the screen (13" macbook pro). you have to reduce the list to almost nothing in order to see all of the options. personally, all of the graphics aren't my cup of tea, so i would be fine without them (solving the problem), but if you must keep them, perhaps it would be better to put the options on the right.

as you might expect, i am going to take this opportunity to request a listview option for the center pane instead of just at the top :)

• Level 5*

here is another bug (#2) i reported in the past.

1. multiselect in listview

when you multiselect in listview, a lot of the options cannot be viewed on the screen (13" macbook pro). you have to reduce the list to almost nothing in order to see all of the options. personally, all of the graphics aren't my cup of tea, so i would be fine without them (solving the problem), but if you must keep them, perhaps it would be better to put the options on the right.

2. quantum ghost notes (multiselect)

i recently moved a bunch of notes (several thousand) from one notebook to another. the note count reads 0, but there is one note in there saying it is in another notebook in the header. like schroedinger's cat, i wonder if it is here or there. apparently, deleting the note in the notebook where it doesn't exist (according to the note count and the header) deletes it in the notebook where it does (according to the header), so where was it? i guess we'll never know.

This does not happen in the cards view obviously because there is no preview pane.

btw I've been using the cards view and find that I like it. I also like the multiselect. :)

• Level 5*

1. multiselect in listview

when you multiselect in listview, a lot of the options cannot be viewed on the screen (13" macbook pro). you have to reduce the list to almost nothing in order to see all of the options. personally, all of the graphics aren't my cup of tea, so i would be fine without them (solving the problem), but if you must keep them, perhaps it would be better to put the options on the right.

2. quantum ghost notes (multiselect)

i recently moved a bunch of notes (several thousand) from one notebook to another. the note count reads 0, but there is one note in there saying it is in another notebook in the header. like schroedinger's cat, i wonder if it is here or there. apparently, deleting the note in the notebook where it doesn't exist (according to the note count and the header) deletes it in the notebook where it does (according to the header), so where was it? i guess we'll never know.

3. preview and note do not match

I cannot view notes -- clicking on any note in the middle pane for any notebook doesn't change it. This is the same problem ursula encountered.

Archived