REQUEST: Calendar

• 1 month later...

Dear Evernote,

It would be really nice if you had an online calendar application like Evernote. One that is not Outlook or Google based. It would work across all platforms like Evernote does. It would be even better if my wife could see my calendar and I could see her calendar and/or the home calendar. I looked through your website and did not see anything like this in the current set of products or related companies on the trunk.

Sincerely

Out-of-Sync-Calendars

• Level 5*

hi bob. welcome to the forums.

your suggestion for a calendar is one that has come up before, and i think there is some demand from users for a kind of uber app that will help them with more aspects of their lives than just notetaking or collecting data. at this point, as far as i know, evernote has not suggested that they have any intention of heading in that direction. considering google's dominance of the market (how many ios calendar apps do not rely on google?), it might be a little like david and goliath at this point. but, it's always nice to hear a suggestion for improvement. if you want to read more about the topic, you might want to try this discussion. i am not keeping up well with the 3rd party apps in the evernote trunk, but something in there might help you out:

不機嫌な猿,

Thanks for the info, but Google has lost the trust of many many many people due to their new privacy policy. An Evernote type calendar, might be the stone David needs to slay Goliath. Just a thought. Thanks for the link.

burgers & fries, It's not a drawing progam either. Tell them to take Skitch off of their product line. Thanks for the constructive help. Have a nice day.

Sorry, but Skitch, while an EN product, is an entirely different program, and it is a drawing program. Evernote is not. Not sure why you think they should remove it from their product line. But hey.

You're welcome.

Well, this is also where our API comes in. TuskTools, for one, offers such an option, it's been in a beta since I've been here and has had positive feedback around these parts.

I believe there is a misunderstanding here between Bob2012 and B&F of "Evernote" the product and "Evernote" the company.

Bob2012: When BurgersandFries says "Evernote" is not a calendar app, she means that "Evernote" the product, is not.

When you responded that we should take Skitch off our product line, I think you were implying that you had been using the term "Evernote" to mean that we, as a company, should develop a Calendar "Application", like Skitch.

If that's the case, There actually are two already designed on our API: TuskTools and Snapcal.

http://www.moreproductivenow.com/evernote.html

http://www.snapcal.net/en/

Support Maven,

Thanks for the help!!! I use Skitch all the time. I was NEVER suggesting to take it out of the product line. In the context of the statment it was meant as an illustration to a product that is not a note based product as Evernote. Like a calendar would not be a note based product.

I will check these out.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

To become the ultimate, file storage, note taking and GTD tool, Evernote need a calendar function so that a reminder can be attached to a note, the calendar function should send a mail to a mailbox or to twitter, with a message, like "take note xxxx to meeting yyy",

strange that such a feature is not already implemented.

I've heard some say that Evernote has REPLACED their calendar. Is this possible? Did I hear it right?

For instance, I was in town the other day and saw a concert poster for a concert coming up in mid-May. I took a photo and sent it to my Evernote. Then, I FORGOT ABOUT IT! Just now, I remember seeing that poster and was glad I did because other times, I've missed concerts and events simply because I forgot.

So, do I still need to use my calendar along with Evernote, or is there a way to turn Evernote into a "calendar" too?

• Level 5

Depends on what you mean by calendar. There is a calendar pop-up, but it is not used for adding notes. It is for changing dates in the Created column and Updated column for a specific note.

To keep tasks and reminders visible there are several methods in Evernote.

- The check box for unfinished to-do items

- Tags for unfinished to-do items

My preferred method (which have a few drawbacks) is to change the Created date to the date of the task or appointment. With Evernote sorting by date, the stuff in the future is always at the top of my screen.

Here is how I separate the future stuff from the past stuff.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/24769-distinguishing-future-notes-from-past-notes/page__view__findpost__p__130595

Yes, if you are Windows user, your tool will be "Tusk Tools Calendar". With specific code in your note, you can create Google Calendar items ...

Just search for "Tusk Tools" here in the forum and you will be happy :D

• Level 5

I tried Tusk Tools Calendar.

To create an appointment inside an Evernote note, which will cause that note to appear as an appointment in TuskTools Calendar, the basic principle is to type the desired date/time of the appointment surrounded by ## at the start and end of your date text. For example:

##10/14/2011 at 3 pm##

##Next Thur 10:30 - 11:30 AM##

To create a reminder as well, add @ folllowed by the number of minutes prior to the event you want the reminder to pop up. For example, to have a reminder appear 30 minutes prior to an appointment:

##10/14/2011 at 3 pm##@30

I've not used Evernote as a calendar (and this is the first I'd heard of it.) I look at Evernote like the "Notes" section in a paper planner (yes, old school.) It has a different purpose.

This is an interesting thought though!

• Level 5*

I can't see how Evernote (with its current feature set) could ever replace my Exchange Server/Outlook calendar.

However, I do put Evernote Note links in my Outlook calendar all the time.

My take on this calendar issue is that I don't want a calendar imbedded as a note in a notebook but I would love to have a calendar function associated with a notebook.

To explain; I use a notebook to keep details of transactions and details of contract work that I do for my various clients; one notebook per client. As my work progresses there is a need to record dates for appointments and followup tasks. As a single person working for myself I cannot afford an Exchange server, or service, so even though I use Outlook, the calendar function is of no use to me as it does not sync across my laptop, Android phone, and desktop at home. But, Evernote does do this sync. So, If Evernote had a calendar function associated each notebook, I could enter my meetings and followups there and have them sync across all platforms.

This would be ideal for me.

• Level 5*
. As a single person working for myself I cannot afford an Exchange server, or service, so even though I use Outlook, the calendar function is of no use to me as it does not sync across my laptop, Android phone, and desktop at home.

You might be surprised how low Exchange server hosting has become. The service I use costs only $8/mailbox/month.

This allows my email, calendar, and contacts to be shared/sync'd on all my devices. I couldn't find any other way to do this.

Having said that, it would be nice if Evernote would provide some type of integration with your selected/default calendar app (like Outlook, Google, etc). A simple button/shortcut key to "Add this Note to your calendar" would be great! Evernote would then open a new calendar item using your default calendar app, and insert the Note Title and a link back to Evernote.

Just dreaming. Evernote has been unable to provide a simple Due Date for years, much less an integration with an external app.

. As a single person working for myself I cannot afford an Exchange server, or service, so even though I use Outlook, the calendar function is of no use to me as it does not sync across my laptop, Android phone, and desktop at home.

The service I use costs only $8/mailbox/month.

Unfortunately, this is not the case in here Australia where the cheapest is twice that amount. :(

Hi Everyone.

Been using Evernote every single day since the 6th of December 2011 and it fills the spot creatively and when it comes to organising my day. However a calender would come in handy equipped with a reminding function.

I Googled the problem and found this straight away:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/25264-calendar/

However sadly I couldn't follow Jbenson2's instructions. I have spent some time trying to figure this out but have come up short.

Thank you for taking the time to read and I hope you can help me out !

• Level 5

It is difficult to respond to the non-descript comment that you "came up short."

Several people have mentioned they do understand my method of changing the Created Date to the Due Date.

It works for me, but there are drawbacks to the method.

The solution often mentioned by others is to use a stand alone calendar, such as the one in Outlook or GMail.

Or use a variation of GTD (Getting Things Done) - just search for GTD

• Level 5*

Hi Everyone.

Been using Evernote every single day since the 6th of December 2011 and it fills the spot creatively and when it comes to organising my day. However a calender would come in handy equipped with a reminding function.

I Googled the problem and found this straight away:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/25264-calendar/

However sadly I couldn't follow Jbenson2's instructions. I have spent some time trying to figure this out but have come up short.

Thank you for taking the time to read and I hope you can help me out !

hi. welcome to the forums. i use evernote as my scheduler/calendar. it is similar to jbenson's, but works with the title instead of the metadata. it is explained in my shared notebook under "evernote for research".

https://www.evernote.com/pub/mayo-christopher/public

i suppose my method is easier to accomplish, but jbenson's has more potential uses, because it can take better advantage of advanced search grammar.

• Level 5*

The thread mentioned about includes a reference to Tusktools, which does add date functionality to Evernote, and there's also Meshin Recall where you have a calendar app for Android and iOS which can link to notes. But I must confess I still change the created date of my notes to the 'due date' of my meeting or event and preface the subject line with 'xxx - ' so when I sort the note window by created date it's easy to see upcoming events in order. (I used to use '### - ' but discovered that you can't search for that character).

There's no perfect solution, but whatever works..

• 1 month later...

Hello Evernoters!

This is my first post on this forum, so please, be gentle.

I have a particular note which I check every morning, I call this my master note. This page more-or-less functions as my to-do list. I wanted to add to this page a calender located inside Evernote which I could update on the fly. What I came up is a pretty creative, but basic way to pull it off.

I searched high and low for calenders, and even tried to make a few on my own but eventually ended up using the free ones from this website. Nothing special about this particular site, as I am sure dozens of similar websites will give you the same thing. Pretty much I used the web clipper to 'clip selection' one year's worth of months (May 12-May 13). This particular website's calenders also have a cool 'next month' and 'last month' hyperlink which came into play later.

After all the clipping, I had 12, one month calenders each as individual pages. On my master note I then wrote all twelve months in a column and hyper-linked each month to the appropriate page via note links. I then went into each note and using the 'next month', 'last month' hyperlinks, fixed it so those now all lead to the appropriate pages too. I then added to the top of each calender, a link which takes them back to my master page so I can easily go to and from the pages to add notes and dates when needed.

I then shared it all with my wife so she can modify the calendar when things come up.

Overall, it turned out pretty cool. (check out my screenshot)

Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

post-95666-0-52739100-1339171527_thumb.p

post-95666-0-61902000-1339171696_thumb.p

Welcome to the forms. :)

For a first post you definitely brought a lot to the table. :)

That's a very interesting idea. It has a serious amount of prepping involved, but it does look pretty cool. The only bummer (and there's nothing that can be done about it) is that you can show/hide "events" based on work, home, etc. Nor can you share specifics with others.

That was very creative though, I've used similar calendars before, but have never linked them together so each month would be so integrated.

Great job! :-)

• Level 5*

Thanks so much for sharing that!

Would you be open to sharing a little bit more with us? I am putting together templates for Evernote, and planning to share them by posting them on the web and in my shared notebook. I don't have a calendar one yet, because I am lazy. This is where you could help me out :)

(off topic)

By the way, I gather that you are in Nagoya, Japan. I used to live there myself in Tsukigaoka 月ヶ丘 (near 自由が丘 station on the 名城線). Nice city :)

The only bummer (and there's nothing that can be done about it) is that you can show/hide "events" based on work, home, etc. Nor can you share specifics with others.

Thanks for the compliment! I am still pretty new to Evernote. I don't understand what you are saying in the above quoted segment! Can you elaborate???

• Level 5*

The only bummer (and there's nothing that can be done about it) is that you can show/hide "events" based on work, home, etc. Nor can you share specifics with others.

Thanks for the compliment! I am still pretty new to Evernote. I don't understand what you are saying in the above quoted segment! Can you elaborate???

I think what he meant was that you CANNOT show/hide events. This is something that I think Google calendar and others offer. Basically, for stuff related to work and gibberish to others you might "hide" it, and for personal stuff your wife ought to see, you "show" it. Obviously, your various assignations can be hidden this way too :)

I think what he meant was that you CANNOT show/hide events. This is something that I think Google calendar and others offer. Basically, for stuff related to work and gibberish to others you might "hide" it, and for personal stuff your wife ought to see, you "show" it. Obviously, your various assignations can be hidden this way too :)

Yeah, exactly. Thanks for the typo catch. :-)

I also deal a lot with others where I need to share calendars so it's a bummer that this method wouldn't be able to share some calendar info and not other info - unless you made multiple notes for the same month with each one covering a different area of life (work, home, etc) - but that would get difficult as it would be easy to double book yourself. :-)

• Level 5*

I'm a huge Evernote fan, why wouldn't you use Google calendars or something similar rather than trying to kinda fit this into Evernote?

I like to have it all in one place, and the biggest problem for me with Google Calendar was lack of Internet access at inopportune times and the need to go through a whole other app for todo lists. By putting everything in Evernote and checking my notes first thing every morning, I have gotten that Googley monkey off my back. Of course, your mileage may vary. I wrote about it here:

http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-organization.html

The idea, though, came from others on this forum.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Aeryon,

Perhaps I'm not fully understanding your method, but how do you enter activities into the day boxes of your calendar? If you've copy and pasted the image clip of the calendar into your EN note, then you are unable to make notations into those individual daily boxes. The only utility of this system, as far as I can see, is that you are able to bring up a calendar to look at. Unfortunately, I am unable to open up your image files to see what you are demonstrating (does not seem to open up properly in Chrome).

I would like to have Evernote create a Calendar that can be shared with community groups ie Churches, Groups. The purpose is to organize members of the groups to use the calendar for volunteer signups. They should be able to, all through a link, add their names to different activities for all to see. Is there such an app already? Thanks Bob

• Level 5

Evernote has been trying to develop a solitary "Due Date" column for the past 3 years with no success.

In my opinion, a full blown calendar that would be used and updated by multiple users is probably too much of a stretch.

Hi! I work for a market research company and we are using Basecamp to organize the team for an upcoming project. I would love it if Evernote offered similar features to Basecamp, such as a working calendar, assignable to-do lists, and time reports, because I prefer Evernote's user interface, and convenient organization over Basecamp's. It would be so great if Evernote could develop some streamlined project management capabilities! Please!!!?? Domo!

• Level 5

A full blown working calendar? Sounds mighty nice, but don't hold your breath.

Some of us have been waiting for 3 years, just to see the Due Date column that has been "coming soon" for a long time.

• 3 weeks later...

You know what would be incredibly helpful? A toolbar button which displays a calendar. Clicking on a date could insert that date into the current cursor location. This would save having to switch to other apps to check on a date and then back to Evernote to type it in. This should be on all Evernote apps on all platforms!

• Level 5

In Windows, you can simply type in a couple keystrokes to insert Date and Time.

Just type Ctrl + ;

Don't hold your breath for the Due Date.

Evernote has been trying to include it over the past 3 years with no success.

The "official" forum Due Date column discussion is located at:

http://discussion.ev...date-attribute/

• Level 5*

If you are using Windows 7, you can get the current date by hovering over the time in the task bar, though jbenson2's ctrl+; is much faster. If you click on the time, the current month pops up, and you can navigate with the left/right arrow buttons at the top of the calendar.

When done, just start typing back in EN. Should be a little​ faster than switching to another app to get dates.

I asked years aqo about a calendar function in Evernote. I'm not going to look up that post, but I'm pretty sure sure the trolls came charging at me with blood dripping fangs and rage in their beady hate-filled eyes.

Umm, does anyone ever suspect Evernote of having a calendar function? (he said softly).

I don't need it to tie into my AMCO Exchange Server v.6346346 mainframe database. I just want a picture of a calendar. I'll settle for that. Remind me when my sister's birthday is tomorrow would be great. But, hell, lets start small. Just show me a calendar.

Am I being unreasonable?

Trolls, start your engines!

I asked years aqo about a calendar function in Evernote. I'm not going to look up that post, but I'm pretty sure sure the trolls came charging at me with blood dripping fangs and rage in their beady hate-filled eyes.

Umm, does anyone ever suspect Evernote of having a calendar function? (he said softly).

I don't need it to tie into my AMCO Exchange Server v.6346346 mainframe database. I just want a picture of a calendar. I'll settle for that. Remind me when my sister's birthday is tomorrow would be great. But, hell, lets start small. Just show me a calendar.

Am I being unreasonable?

It appears you have "trolls" confused with people who disagree with you and/or state that that feature does not exist.

• Level 5*

Am I being unreasonable?

Just show you a calendar? I am happy to say that the feature exists! Here you go :)

https://www.evernote...aa932e12e5f8071

This probably isn't the calendar you are looking for. Maybe Evernote will develop some kind of feature that is more interactive, but I think this does pretty well on its own, and it frees Evernote up to develop a lot of the other features I have been requesting. We've all got features we want and bugs we want to see fixed, so don't look at me as a "troll" so much as a fellow user looking to prioritize some things over others.

Heeper, this does not provide you with a calendar inside of Evernote, but we offer an application that links your calendar events to notes, its called Meshin Calendar: for Evernote, and its a step towards what you want we believe, and we are open to suggestions!

If you have interest in beta testing let me know. Just drop a note to support@meshin.com and let me know you want to beta test. We offer our free app on Android and iOS and are about to release an app for the iPad.

Regards,

Greg Lynn

Meshin

Heeper, this does not provide you with a calendar inside of Evernote, but we offer an application that links your calendar events to notes, its called Meshin Calendar: for Evernote, and its a step towards what you want we believe, and we are open to suggestions!

If you have interest in beta testing let me know. Just drop a note to support@meshin.com and let me know you want to beta test. We offer our free app on Android and iOS and are about to release an app for the iPad.

Regards,

Greg Lynn

Meshin

I know Gazumped has talked about your app quite often. It's nice when the devs of the other apps participate on the board. Props to you.

• 2 months later...

Thank you for posting this idea. I tried it out after wanting to be able to track some date-driven information but wanted to be able to do that within Evernote since that's where I store general information that's not work related. Your tip will serve me well, and I like the fact that I can type data within each calendar day without messing up the calendar's display. Now if Evernote would just add a calendar feature then things would be even easier.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your tip and for posting a link to your "Evernote Organization without Organizing" page.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Probably won't return here often as I find evernote generally problem free for my purposes, but I have a suggestion for development, should any evernote staff be looking at this:

Calendar: Seems to me that the user base for this product are people that like to be well organsied, and a decent calendar integration seems the main thing missing.

There are flaws with many calendar options available out there. My most satisfactorary result for calendar sharing across multiple platforms is Google Cal accounts that feed my Mac, Ipad & ipod devices. ICal version 4 works well to receive GoogleCal cals because of it's ability to have multiple 'all day events' stretching across a week view.

Just seems to me that if Evernote applied their well organised thinking to integrated calendar (and even adress book come to think of it) it would make it the one tool of choice for getting oragised.

Someone may have suggested this before, but like I say, just passing through.

Thanks,

• Level 5

Yes, this has been suggested by users quite a bit.

The usual response is Evernote is not a calendar. Its motto is to "Remember Everything".

A calendar of past activities might be feasible by pulling in the Created Date field, but future stuff would be another matter.

A Due Date field would be needed for future stuff.

Evernote has been working on the Due Date (or re-prioritizing it) for the past 3 years.

• 2 weeks later...

The usual response is Evernote is not a calendar. Its motto is to "Remember Everything".

Then they should change their motto. Why do people use calendars? So they don't have to remember things. If I can't use a calendar in Evernote (aside from copying and pasting calendars into notes, which I've already done), then I can't really use Evernote to "remember everything."

• Level 5

Then they should change their motto. Why do people use calendars? So they don't have to remember things. If I can't use a calendar in Evernote (aside from copying and pasting calendars into notes, which I've already done), then I can't really use Evernote to "remember everything."

That is a very good point.

Let's hope that the Evernote CEO Phil Libin can follow up on his latest promise made at LeWeb in France earlier this month.

He promised that Due Dates are coming in the first quarter of 2013.

Of course we have to clear the Mayan 2012 apocalypse first.

Archived