(Archived) Android client shows old version of note in edit mode

vsz

I have a note that I use as a workout log. This means that I update the same note many times per week, sometimes from my computer (windows client) other times from my android phone (at the gym). I noticed that the first time I edited the note from the phone, it worked as expected. On subsequent days, after making edits from the windows client, I sync'ed my phone and the note displays correctly (up to date) in read mode. However, once I enter edit mode on the phone it shows me an old version of the note. There is nothing I can do to update it.

Worst still, I didn't notice the first time that this happened and I ended up saving the note so that I lost a bunch of data.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is there something I can do to update my note in edit mode?

Seems like a pretty bad bug since it leads to data loss if not careful.

Thanks Gary. I certainly did sync as that was my first thought. I know it was synced b/c the read mode version of the note was updated. It's only when I entered edit mode the second/third/fourth time on the android client that I noticed that it was showing me an outdated version. I think edit mode is caching and showing me an older version of the note that I'd previously pulled up on this device.

I'd appreciate it if someone could try it to see if its a bug or just something screwy from my side. So repro steps are:

- Open an existing note on android in edit mode, save a change.

- Open same note on another client (windows, mac, whatever) and save some newer change

- Go back to the android client and sync. See the update in read mode, then enter edit mode. You should still see the old version in edit mode.

I have a similar situation. I have a grocery list that gets up-dated with every trip to the store. With everything synced, the web, desktop and android tablet's read mode all show the same note. Entering edit mode on the tablet shows an older version.

This is a note with check boxes. Don't know if this is relevant.

The tablet is a Motorola Xoom, android 4.0.4, EN 4.0 Beta 1.

Regards,

Gary

I've had exactly the same problem. I found that it occured if my note had an unsupported feature such as horizontal lines. On going into edit mode a message would be shown at the top of the note to say this. I could edit and save the note but subsequently after editing the note on my PC I would only see an old version of the note for editing whereas read mode would show the latest. The only work around I have is to only edit notes with very basic formatting. This is extremely irritating.

I also have the problem of spaces being removed from my notes which I have asked about in another thread.

It seems that the android client is really best suited to viewing notes and only editing very basic text notes. It would be best if there was consistency of editing features across all platforms.

I am getting more and more commited to Evernote for all my information storage but very basic problems like these are making me think twice.

I've had exactly the same problem. I found that it occured if my note had an unsupported feature such as horizontal lines. On going into edit mode a message would be shown at the top of the note to say this. I could edit and save the note but subsequently after editing the note on my PC I would only see an old version of the note for editing whereas read mode would show the latest. The only work around I have is to only edit notes with very basic formatting. This is extremely irritating.

I am getting more and more commited to Evernote for all my information storage but very basic problems like these are making me think twice.

Thanks to everyone who has reported a similar problem. It seems like my problem is on a note with special formatting (using tables). So I think TeresaTT is on to something about the circumstances in which this problem crops up. GaryLKing's note has checkboxes and mine has tables.

I think we've found a valid bug that leads to data loss.

VSZ

Thanks to everyone who has reported a similar problem. It seems like my problem is on a note with special formatting (using tables). So I think TeresaTT is on to something about the circumstances in which this problem crops up. GaryLKing's note has checkboxes and mine has tables.

I think we've found a valid bug that leads to data loss.

VSZ

Table is not necessary for the failure, I posted a message a few weeks ago with the same problem.

Table is not necessary for the failure, I posted a message a few weeks ago with the same problem.

Robtmil, you're right - my phrasing was bad. I meant to say special formatting like tables, checkboxes, etc. Did you get this problem without any special formatting?

BTW all, I submitted a support case to Evernote and so far they having me jump through first level hoops... Will keep you updated.

Update: Evernote support acknowledged that this is a defect and will prioritize it into a future release. Here's the message I got:

We apologize for the inconvenience, however it appears there is currently a bug causing this.

We appreciate you taking the time to send us this error. We have filed an internal bug report with the QA team lead. She will classify and fix the bugs in the order determined by the project Lead.

Unfortunately this is not something I can fix for you at this time.

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks for making Evernote a better product,

Liz

Cool, thanks Evernote!

• 1 month later...
Guest mrossk

Today I had the same problem:

I have edited a note on my android phone (Nexus S, Android 4.0.4). A few hours later I opened the note on my windows computer and saw that the added content was there, but the rest of the note was old.

I am not sure if the note on my android phone has had already the old content before editing because I have only added a linie at the beginning of the note without reading the rest of the note.

I can only be glad that I have noticed this. I manage nearly 100 server-backups in our company and keep the list of this backups in evernote. When this list should lost a line then this backup is not longer managed and this can end in a huge amout of data loss in our company.

Please fix this Evernote, this causes data loss!

Marcel.

• 1 month later...

Same problem here. I have a note with a table that I use to keep track of petrol expenses. When just viewing the note in Evernote for Android on my Galaxy Nexus after doing a manual sync, everything is there. When I edit it though, a yellow bar appears at the top saying "This note contains some unsupported formatting", and the note's contents are from an older version. If I cancel editing, the note displays the most recent version again.

Would be great if this can be resolved!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived