(Archived) HOWTO: Add to a notebook that someone else shared with me

MrsR

Idea

Hi everyone,

I really must be missing something simple. In addition to adding notes to a notebook I shared with someone else (which is working well), I want to add notes to a notebook that someone else has shared with me.

In other words, I have created a notebook and shared it with a staff member. She has created a notebook and shared it with me. I can happily move stuff into my notebook for her, but I cannot move stuff into her notebook for me. I can go to the linked notebook and edit notes that she has put there, but I can't figure out how to put notes I have in my Evernote into her notebook directly.

I email notes and web clip into Evernote a lot, then decide what to do with them at the end of each day. If it is an HR matter, for example, I want to put it into a combined HR notebook. Now I have to put it in my shared HR notebook and force her to look in it. If she wants to originate an HR note, she has to put it in her HR notebook and I have to look for it there. So frustrating and inefficient!

We are both Premium users and have the put the settings in our shared notebook so that we can modify each other's notebooks.

Please, someone tell me what I am missing!

Thanks!

PS: Springpad just rolled out a new version of their app that has this capability in their shared notebooks.

Edited to correct a phrase.

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Haven't played too much with shared-in notebooks - mine are shared out to allow others to see my information, not collaborate on content. There's one obvious way to send information to the 'other' notebook - use the email address for that database. You can specify (within some limits) to which notebook a note should be added and what tags should apply. Just a passing thought - changes to shared notebooks aren't immediate, or even necessarily quick: so your shared data won't be up-to-the-minute accurate (depends on when your Evernotes sync, and the speed of your email); and if you're putting personal data in these notes, there's no security on the content unless you encrypt files before you save them..

Hi, gazumped, thanks for your reply.

Hmmm, using the other database's email address is something I hadn't thought of, thanks for suggesting it! I was thinking in worst case I could email a note to my staff member and she could put it in her notebook, but having me email it directly to her shared notebook eliminates a step.

I'm really hoping there is a way to truly collaborate in one notebook though, instead of each of us having a notebook that the other has to look at.

• Level 5*

Evernote doesn't (yet?) have a true collaboration option. There's lots of other software out there that will do a better job. (Sorry EN)

Depending on what else you use your Evernote for, you could consider sharing the login to your current account, or setting up a new account to share which you both use via the web client and a local browser rather than a desktop. Both having access to one account would allow you to add/ make shared changes with minimal overhead, but I'm not sure what that would do to Evernote central - the worst danger (I think) would be that you both change one note and save it with different information. You'd then find that you have a 'conflicting changes' notebook with the note(s) included, so you can decide to merge or delete some data.

Bear in mind both of you sharing one personal account does mean you'll both have access to all the notes in that account...

AND ... I just realized that I can copy notes from my notebook in my workspace over to my staff member's notebook in her workspace. I can't move them, but I can copy them, then just delete the version from my workspace. In this way, the notes appear in only one notebook.

So, this is closer to what I need. I hope my "thinking out loud" here helps someone else.

Cheers!

Evernote doesn't (yet?) have a true collaboration option. There's lots of other software out there that will do a better job. (Sorry EN)

Depending on what else you use your Evernote for, you could consider sharing the login to your current account, or setting up a new account to share which you both use via the web client and a local browser rather than a desktop. Both having access to one account would allow you to add/ make shared changes with minimal overhead, but I'm not sure what that would do to Evernote central - the worst danger (I think) would be that you both change one note and save it with different information. You'd then find that you have a 'conflicting changes' notebook with the note(s) included, so you can decide to merge or delete some data.

Bear in mind both of you sharing one personal account does mean you'll both have access to all the notes in that account...

Please help me on this case:I edited the note at home last night. Usually the conlicting changes folder will show up when I logged in my office today. But it didn't and I remembered I deleted that folder at last week. Now the note cannot be synchronized since the conflicting changes folder lost. I tried restart the pc and re-install the evernote, nothing helped!

Please help me how to restore that folder. Thanks!

Hi, I just saw your post, sorry for the late acknowledgement. Your method sounds like a great solution. Now I will go learn how to have Evernote monitor Dropbox. Good thing I like learning :)

Cheers!

If you use a Mac, even if you've deleted a folder and emptied the trash, for 2 weeks we save the notes you've deleted in a special directory on your computer that you can browse with the Mac Finder. So, those Conflicting Notes may still be around.

Archived