(Archived) Notes and handwriting recognition

primetime34

I take quite a few handwritten notes on my Android tablet. I then like to export those notes into Evernote. I have tried a number of different android apps to take notes but none of them seem to work very well with the handwriting recognition of Evernote. I have tried Antipaper, Freenote, and Handwrite. Have any of you had success with taking a significant amount of notes (not a simple sticky note but longer) and putting in in Evernote and having it be recognized? Native handwriting inside Evernote would be my preference, but a 3rd party app is fine for now as well. Thanks.

Native handwriting within EN is probably not going to occur any time soon. The only, I repeat only, EN app that has this is the Windows client & that's probably only b/c it was in the Evernote payware, Windows only app that was the precursor to EN, the cloud app.

Be sure when you're sending the notes to Evernote that they are in image format. If you're sending them as PDFs, the PDF OCR/index app doesn't work well with handwriting. Handwriting is better indexed when it's in image format b/c the OCR/index will create a tree of possibilities. Please search the board for more info, should you need it.

Native handwriting within EN is probably not going to occur any time soon. The only, I repeat only, EN app that has this is the Windows client & that's probably only b/c it was in the Evernote payware, Windows only app that was the precursor to EN, the cloud app.

Be sure when you're sending the notes to Evernote that they are in image format. If you're sending them as PDFs, the PDF OCR/index app doesn't work well with handwriting. Handwriting is better indexed when it's in image format b/c the OCR/index will create a tree of possibilities. Please search the board for more info, should you need it.

I have had no problem sending handwritten notes into evernote, but the OCR just isn't working very well. It is probably only recognizing 10% of the words. I don't know if that is due to the program or my handwriting, but I think it is the former, not the latter. So, I was wondering what success others have had with writing notes in Android then sending them to evernote and having the OCR work.

I have had no problem sending handwritten notes into evernote, but the OCR just isn't working very well. It is probably only recognizing 10% of the words. I don't know if that is due to the program or my handwriting, but I think it is the former, not the latter. So, I was wondering what success others have had with writing notes in Android then sending them to evernote and having the OCR work.

Like I said...

Different OCR/indexing apps are used for images vs PDFs.

• 8 months later...

Primetime, did you learn more?

I am just starting to investigate this myself. I have read elsewhere, but do not have verification, that evernote can OCR handwriting in JPEGs better than PNG. But most Android apps export PNG files.

Also, based on only one try (a PNG file) it seems that Evernote OCRs script handwriting better than block letters.

At this moment, I am using 7Notes, which has native Android handwriting recognition, but it does that mainly as you write in a separate entry area, which makes it a bit unhandy. I am also trying Quill, which has the least writing 'lag' on screen, but also is comfortable for note taking and some sketching. And I just started trying LectureNotes which is well thought out (but written for a pressure sensitive stylus pad like Lenovo makes, but still includes a tool that does pretty good 'Palm rejection' where you end up not also writing with the side of your hand if it touches the screen too).

Archived