Save a search to Windows desktop shortcut (or global macro)?

kalnel

Is there a way to create a shortcut that could reside on the Windows desktop (or in a keyboard macro) that will run a saved search in Evernote?

I use IFTTT to create a new page each day where I keep all my notes. I can pull up each day's note through a saved search with the query: notebook:"2012 daily notes" created:day."

I'd love to have this search available as a desktop icon, taskbar icon, or keyboard macro, so I can jump to the note from any program instantly.

I've figured out how to do this on my Android phone by saving the search to the home screen, but I can't see how to do it in regular desktop Windows.

• Level 5*

For Windows, you can use the included ENScript.exe command-line executable to send searches to the Evernote application. You'd be using the 'shownotes' command, specifying the search string using the /q option.

For example, the command enscript shownotes /q "tag:Evernote" would display in Evernote all notes tagged with "Evernote". You can mix and match use of ENScript.exe with Windows shortcuts, or keyboard command utilities (like AutoHotKey) to your heart's content.

See the article at: http://dev.evernote.com/documentation/local/chapters/Windows.php for more details about ENScript.exe.

Thank you, that was very helpful!

Do you happen to know what the right syntax would be when trying to pull up a notebook with a multiple word name? I was able to get the shortcut to find a note created today in a notebook with a single-word name using this: "C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe" shownotes /q "notebook:2012 created:day" but, when I try to get it to look in a notebook named "2012 Daily Notes," it fails. I've tried adding double and single quotes around the phrase "2012 Daily Notes," but it doesn't work.

Also, is there anyway to automatically open the note?

Many thanks again...

• Level 5*

You're welcome.

For notebooks with embedded spaces (and maybe for other search items with embedded spaces), I was able to make it work by using double-quotes around the notebook name, but these had to be escaped using a backslash ('\'), because they were inside the quoted search string:

enscript shownotes /q "notebook:\"My Notebook\" hello"

This was on the command-line. I don't know how this would work in other contexts, like say, inside a Windows shortcut, but I'd start there.

That worked perfectly. Thanks!

Now that I've gotten that far, I'd like to accomplish two more things:

1. Have it automatically open the note and/or

2. Have it switch to Evernote as the active window. (I noticed that this works if Evernote is minimized, but it doesn't switch it to the active window automatically.)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• 5 months later...

This really needs to be in the Evernote Local API for Windows help. Also that help really needs some quick examples:

http://dev.evernote....ers/Windows.php

I could not get multi-word tags to work in an ENScript showNotes command until I found this thread that tells you to backslash the double-quotes around a multi-word Tag or Notebook. To be complete in case others find this thread, here's a sample ENScript showNotes command that searches for a multi-word tag. Note the double-quotes around the program name and the tag parameter with the embedded quotes being backslashed:

C:\>"C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe" showNotes /q "tag:\"open source\""

Important: These same quoting rules apply to the program name and command line you pass to a ShellExecute operation from programming code. Otherwise the operation will fail. If you are having trouble take the EXE name and command line you are building, concatenate them to build the full command, and run that command in a Command Window so you can see the error ENScript is reporting.

-- roschler

• 2 years later...
  • Level 5*

For stacks, you use stack:MyStack rather than notebook:MyNotebook. Dunno about Business notes vs Personal notes, but I doubt that you can; searches need to be expressible in the Evernote Search Language, and I don't know of any way that that language can distinguish Business and Personal notes. I've long thought that that sort of ability would be useful.

Archived