Excitement about PDFs!

~Adam

So, those who have seen my other posts know that I'm thrilled with Evernote so far. BTW, I"m a paid user and I encourage others to become paid users as well.

So, let's talk about PDFs.

For many years, I've been on the subscriber list for a religious organization. Every month, for free, they send out their publication to any subscriber who wants it. Well, I like getting them, but, they take up space in my house and usually end up in boxes.

So, I went to their website today and found that those publications are also available in PDF. So, here's what I did.

1. I set up a folder on my Windows desktop entitled Evernote.
  2. Evernote for Windows monitors this folder for new items.
  3. I then went to the website mentioned above, found their archived PDFs of the monthly publication.
  4. I then went to each link, right clicked the link and chose "Save link as", chose the Evernote folder, and was done.
  5. The whole process took just a few minutes to download several years worth of PDFs. Now, I have them in Evernote and can cancel my monthly subscription, thereby saving them money. Also, all of those publications are now searchable, whereas before, if I wanted a specific article, I would have a hard time finding it!

Once again, Evernote rocks!

(I'm probably preaching to the choir here. Might want to start a blog or something.)

I just finished scanning in a text book for a college class that I am taking. It took awhile, but in the end, I think it is going to make me a lot more productive. I try to talk to other people and tell them how cool it is that I'm going paperless and I have all these digital record. It seems a lot of people do not share in my geekdom. But it's cool that I can come on here and read about how someone is all PDFs rock and I just put a bunch in Evernote! And I'm like SWEEET!...

Hope Evernore continues to rock for you!

p.s. I've thought about starting a blog about using Evernote in my collegiate life.

It seems a lot of people do not share in my geekdom.

Glad the scanning is working well for you. As for them not understanding how the scan can improve your college work, ask them some question that is in your text book. While they are looking up the answer, you just to a "search" and see how that "geekdom" is, or is not, working for them!!

When I do my scans of books I have been keeping a log of the pages and time it takes. Will share this with the group. All of my scans are in high compression.

PDF - single side - 71 pages - 8:11 minutes

PDF - double side - 327 pages - 19:45 minutes

Best of luck in your college work.

David in Wichita

30 years in education, retired!

David, when you are scanning books, are you cutting the binding off and then running them through a sheet-feed scanner or are you using a flat bed scanner and leaving the books intact?

Greg

It seems a lot of people do not share in my geekdom.

Glad the scanning is working well for you. As for them not understanding how the scan can improve your college work, ask them some question that is in your text book. While they are looking up the answer, you just to a "search" and see how that "geekdom" is, or is not, working for them!!

When I do my scans of books I have been keeping a log of the pages and time it takes. Will share this with the group. All of my scans are in high compression.

PDF - single side - 71 pages - 8:11 minutes

PDF - double side - 327 pages - 19:45 minutes

Best of luck in your college work.

David in Wichita

30 years in education, retired!

David, when you are scanning books, are you cutting the binding off and then running them through a sheet-feed scanner or are you using a flat bed scanner and leaving the books intact?

The flat bed scanner is "out to pasture" except for those very thick pages or some other problem that will not go thru the ScanSnap. Unless the book is something very special it goes under the guillotine and gets scanned and then shredded. ClutterBGone !!

Regards,

David in Wichita

The flat bed scanner is "out to pasture" except for those very thick pages or some other problem that will not go thru the ScanSnap. Unless the book is something very special it goes under the guillotine and gets scanned and then shredded. ClutterBGone !!

Regards,

David in Wichita

David, what brand of guillotine are you using and could you share a link to where I could find it?

Thanks.

David, what brand of guillotine are you using and could you share a link to where I could find it?

Thanks.

I have used it for years, don't remember where it came from, check with any of the Office supply stores, they should run about $20 - $30. Good investment for this kind of work, [just be careful, keep out of reach of children!!]

Archived