Link to a tag within a note?

Kind of.. You can just write down the search term for a tag and then copy/paste this search term manually.

I think clickable search terms would be really nice to have. Much more powerful than just note links. But the good old copy/paste still does the job.

You can link two notes together, but can't use the tags. This information from the EN database.

Copy note linking: right click on the note you want to link to another note. Go to the first note and highlight the entire note, right click and select Hyperlink, then add and then paste, and OK.

• Level 5*

In the Windows client, you can Shift-click on a tag in the note info panel of a note (you may need to drop it down using F8), and that tag will be added to the current search filter. About as close as you're going to come, at least at the moment.

• 3 months later...

+1

I really really want this too. My preference would be for a link to a search like jefito posted in another thread as it covers tags and can be extended for more:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/26957-request-extend-note-link-to-support-saved-searches/

Just as a point of contrast, though, I'd propose a slightly different mechanism. Rather than explicitly linking to notes, I'd propose a sort of active search that you could embed in a note, similar to a link, but when clicked, activates the client that would activate with the note link, and executes the link target as a search. So rather than having a note link like:

<a href="evernote:///view/470215/s5/b04fb763-248a-4e2b-1d47-44712e795cbd/b14fb763-248a-4e2b-bd46-447310e795cbd/" style="color:#69aa35">Evernote Activity Bug</a>

(that's what comes out of ENML), maybe something like this:

<a href="evernote:///search/notebook:work tag:ToDo/" style="color:#6935aa">Work Todo's</a>

I usually make a landing page with the same title as my tag name with reference material, brainstorming and other helpful information in it. I then link out to all my todos/other notes.

Its to much work to then keep adding other notes to the landing page manually so the idea of a link to a saved search (for me it would be to open all notes in a tag) sounds great.

I wanted this so bad that i have a rather un-elegant workaround i thought i'd share:

I make batch files that use the ENScript to load the search for me. Or rather i have a batch file that makes batch files i can attach to the landing page.

• Note: this only works on windows :(

• Note: your path to ENScript may be diffident

• Note: needs clip.exe installed (think it comes with most copy's of windows). if you are unable to paste the link after running, open cmd and type "clip /?" to see if it installed.

• Note: change the 3rd line to a path where you want to keep a copy of these batch files

create a batch file called EVTag.cmd (or what ever suits) with the following contents:

Tip - if you save it in folder that's included in your path var you can run it from anywhere.

@ECHO OFF

SET Tag=%1

SET PathToSaveCMD=d:\bin\evernote\

REM loop through all the passed in args

SHIFT

:Loop

REM concat all args into a var called tag - quit when arg is "" (nothing)

IF "%1"=="" GOTO Continue

SET Tag=%Tag% %1

SHIFT

GOTO Loop

:Continue

REM if no args then exit

IF "%Tag%"=="" GOTO Exit

REM add dir and ext to file

SET file=%PathToSaveCMD%%Tag%.cmd

REM check the file already exists - copy the path to clipboard rather than overwrite it!

IF EXIST "%file%" GOTO Copy

REM add content to the file

ECHO "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe" showNotes -q "tag:%Tag%" >> %file%

:Copy

REM copy location of the new batch file to clipboard

ECHO %file% | CLIP

now any time you want to add a link to a search for tags hit [Windows] and [R] Key together to bring up the "run dialogue box" type

"evtag yourtagname"

and now you should be able to ether paste the link straight into evernote (if the tags only one word) or if you prefer, click on the attachment button and paste away.

Result is a clickable link to a batch file that runs a the ENScript exe to preform a search.

It could be any search, doesn't have to be for tags. Just adjust the script as needed.

you can a fair bit with the ENScript.exe!

http://dev.evernote.com/documentation/local/chapters/Windows.php

Enjoy.

• 1 year later...

Another +1 for this feature. You can create a shortcut for a tag, so why not a link to a tag? And links to saved searches would be nice too, but it's not worth it for me if I have to create a saved search for all the tags I'd like to do this with.

How I'd use it: I have a master project list note, and each of those projects has a tag associated to it. I'd like to link directly to the project tag so I could go straight from my project list to the projects. I make shortcuts for my most active projects, but this is a small fraction of them and the shortcuts field is too small to be a full project list.

Thanks!

• 9 months later...

Yes, count me in too.  I have a Livescribe WiFi which syncs with Evernote, and I use Evernote directly.   Some of the Livescribe pages have content relevant to more than one tag, as do some direct Evernote notes.  For major projects I will be collecting web clippings and other attachments so I'll set up an Evernote notebook to collect these and and Evernote notes.  There'll be an index page in there for tasks and odds & ends, and on that page I would like a link to the relevant tag(s).  I would then want to click to get what I would get if I scrolled waaaayyyy down on the navigation panel and found the tag myself.  If I remembered it was relevant to this notebook.

It's the three- or even four-dimensional power of Evernote that makes it so sexy.  Not being able to link to a tag on a note is an oversight.  

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Level 5

To jump to the actual spot, instead of a tag or link, I add a secret code word with a letter q in front, and change the font color to white

Example:

The secret code for water becomes qwater which then becomes .."qwater". Even though it is not visible, it is still searchable.

The q in front of the word is my arbitrary choice to ensure the code is not used anywhere else.

The search for qwater brings me to the exact spot in the note.

To help remember the code, I keep a note (in black font) that lists my secret codes. So in actuality a search for qwater shows 2 results - the one I want and the master list.

I don't have a need to do this sort of search often because I keep most of my notes short (1 or 2 pages).

Long multi-page documents are stored in other programs.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

this is how I would use it and why I need it public links to tags

Suppose I am using a project manager and want a link to, not a a note but a tag. That tag would select all the notes relative to that project. 

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, jpaz said:

this is how I would use it and why I need it public links to tags

Suppose I am using a project manager and want a link to, not a a note but a tag. That tag would select all the notes relative to that project. 

If "public" means anyone with that link can view all of your Notes with that tag, then it could be very dangerous, IMO.
It would be very easy to forget that a specific tag is a "public" tag, and then assign this tag to Notes that you would want private.

I think I understand your objective.  Perhaps an alternative solution for you is to share a Notebook with whomever you like.  Then the recipients could search and filter on the tag of interest.

OTOH, having "private" links for Tags, Searches, and Shortcuts that we can store in a Note would be hugely powerful, and not encounter the risk of a "public tag".  So you could have a master note in your shared notebook, that gives your authorized recipients the quick access to Notes that you desire.

Totally agree JMichael about  links for Tags, Searches, and Shortcuts

Yes there is the option of using a link to a Notebook. That means creating a notebook for every. But tags are FAR MORE flexible. It is not possible to have a note in more than one notebook, like you can have a note with multiple tags.

I've been watching this thread for over a year now - two years?  Three?  Being able to make a note as an index to organize tags and the like would make evernote so much more powerful -- and if extended to the API?  Imagine the slew of UI-type apps that could be created.  Heck, I would write one.

If indeed the real money for the Evernote team is getting to charge people for a premium membership, how on earth would this feature not appeal to them?  The more data people will put in their systems, the better, right?  The more they use it, the more likely they will hit that monthly cap and want to upgrade, yes?  

I've since given up hope and moved on to other apps for productivity and now use evernote almost exclusively for mobile reference.  It's really is a pity.

Maybe someday.  *sign*.

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, niftygeek said:

I've since given up hope and moved on to other apps for productivity and now use evernote almost exclusively for mobile reference. 

Can you give us some info on those other apps?

Maybe off topic for the thread, but to spotlight why tag linking would be amazing, why not?  ... Tried Asana but moved to Trello (both web and android apps, and found trello to win hands-down for my needs).  Xmind and Simplemind for PC/Android respectively for mindmaps.  Google keep (eek, the competitor, sorry!) for drop-bucket task management like errands, online orders -- with a nice widget on my phones/tablets to have that category/tag showing all the time for quick edits.  Trello widgets are terrible, but the app is slick.  (And of course, evernote for mobile reference/archiving as I mentioned).

If evernote had tag linking in their desktop app and API, they would truly be an unstoppable elephant in the market.. IMO.  Users could create their own dashboards that acted like launch points into their stored data and to-dos.  3rd party apps could be developed to compete with other UI's.  Man.  Seriously, I don't understand why that isn't a feature.

Hope the app list was useful.  Cheers.

Nice niftygeek.

I'm using  Evernote+Google Calendar (linked by Nozbe to get the Evernote Reminders into Google Calendar) to manage all my tasks and projects - with GTD and SecretWeapon). I also use Onenote to research notes and review of papers (wished there was a way to transfer Evernote tags to Onenote tags)

Been messing around with Trello and MeisterTask (very similar but linking to Mindmeister; it is in early development) but still not made the move to use them in personal project management (but they are good in group project management). if there were links for tags maybe that would help me to move.

thks DTLow. Don't know how that app eluded me. Seems even better with 2way sync btw Evernote and GCal.

https://www.cronofy.com/ even connects with Outlook

Before that I had tried  http://eventnoted.com/ 

Tried it. Fast creation of event. It has a prob in Google Calendar though (others also have): the link to the evernote with the reminder appears in the event description and it is not transformed into an hyperlink. Unless we use html or the workaround: put the link in the where field and we do get an hyperlink. Is there another way?

+1

Really cool and natural feature.

I have tags in my Shortcuts section. But this section is linear and small. So I create notes with more complex lists of links and then I move my shortcuts to this notes. And I can't move tags there. So I limited by Shortcuts section only.

• Level 5*
On April 2, 2012 at 5:23 AM, firefusion said:

I'd like to be able to put a link within a note, that takes me to the notes that have that tag assigned. Is this possible?

9 hours ago, chemmalion said:

So I create notes with more complex lists of links and then I move my shortcuts to this notes. And I can't move tags there. So I limited by Shortcuts section only.

As per @Jbenson2 above, in your note you can include the text  tag=xxx or keyword=xxx
Then, in the search box, type  tag=xxx  or  keyword=xxx

No - you can't include search shortcuts inside notes, but you can have the search text for copying to the searchbox.
As in the above example "tag=xxx" or "tag:xxx" for conventional tags

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, DTLow said:

Then, in the search box, type  tag=xxx  or  keyword=xxx

Links and searching are two totally different things.  A "link" is to some specific entity.  

Both the EN Win and EN Mac apps now support filtering the note list by clicking on a tag in the tag panel of the Note.

This is a great start, but not as good as:

On 3/25/2016 at 8:09 PM, JMichaelTX said:

having "private" links for Tags, Searches, and Shortcuts that we can store in a Note would be hugely powerful

• 10 months later...
On 23/11/2013 at 9:10 AM, sheclimber said:

Another +1 for this feature. You can create a shortcut for a tag, so why not a link to a tag? And links to saved searches would be nice too, but it's not worth it for me if I have to create a saved search for all the tags I'd like to do this with.

How I'd use it: I have a master project list note, and each of those projects has a tag associated to it. I'd like to link directly to the project tag so I could go straight from my project list to the projects. I make shortcuts for my most active projects, but this is a small fraction of them and the shortcuts field is too small to be a full project list.

Thanks!

+1. Would be a great feature - this is how I work also. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

+1

Old thread but is there anything new (good workaround)?

I really want to have links to tags as I am archiving projects and need a practical archive overview (amongst other uses). Copy & pasting the tag name into search seems so unnecessary (it's 2018!) and reading this post here, I sort of wonder whether EN employees sometimes using EN for their work LOL

The linking of notes is a key feature if you store more than your cooking recipes in EN, - especially with the annoying 250 notebooks limitation - it is necessary to work with tags.

And having said that: for guys who (only) work with tags and only a handful of notebooks, links to tags seem an actually absolutely essential feature.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Maddhin said:

Still copy/paste the search terms; we can use scripting tools to assist with this. Example

>>The linking of notes is a key feature ... who (only) work with tags and only a handful of notebooks, links to tags seem an actually absolutely essential feature.5ae066a697a21_ScreenShot2018-04-25at04_29_18.png.1b65c6f78e419fa7be2908f7120b6249.png

The link-within-a-note is a missing feature for tags, notebooks, and searches.
The only feature is a link to another note.  
This can be used individually, or in a master table of contents.

The shortcuts section is used to include links to tags, notebooks, searches, and notes.5ae0659aaa9bd_ScreenShot2018-04-25at04_23_15.png.52b86de7680d6ac705b178f6a3a19ca3.png

Depending on the platform, the sidebar can display a list of notebooks or tags.

5ae065b6d1b80_ScreenShot2018-04-25at04_23_49.png.0277e1a55f824648ec59e4d49c72b33a.png5ae065b97861f_ScreenShot2018-04-25at04_24_12.png.0a39b23966c29a52aedc7e4db43b4c3d.png

• Level 5*

Context: the original request was for a mechanism whereby you could click on something in a note to find all notes that have a specific tag. We can call it a "tag link", I suppose. 

Notwithstanding the fact that there is an existing similar mechanism, at least in the Windows client, as noted above (Shift+Click on a tag in the note header will toggle whether the tag is included in your current note filter. Not quite the same thing, but certainly useful. It's not exposed in the note body, but the note header is always available when you're editing an Evernote note in the Windows client, whereas it's possible that a "tag link" may be scrolled out of view, a downside.), this is somewhat interesting, but rather underpowered as an option.  Why stop at tags? Why not allow any valid Evernote search? This would be much more powerful and useful, with more or less the same degree of complexity in the implementation (since the proposed tag link would entail applying a search filter to your notes anyways). You could call them "search links", I suppose.

Presumably these would work in all Evernote clients.

Either way, you still need a way of creating them in an Evernote note: maybe drag/drop from the tag, notebook, or saved searches lists into a note location would suffice (oops, dragging a tag onto a note body adds the tag to the note). Would you want a way to create them ad hoc? Via the keyboard? Right-click menu option? Toolbar option?

7 hours ago, Maddhin said:

The linking of notes is a key feature if you store more than your cooking recipes in EN, - especially with the annoying 250 notebooks limitation - it is necessary to work with tags.

Not sure what the attempted snark about cooking recipes is,  or what relevance the 250 notebook limit is, but yes, in Evernote, tags are certainly a powerful way of linking notes together. There's nothing necessary about using them, though. I find them useful; in fact, that was a big part of the the initial appeal of Evernote to me, once I figured out how tags worked, but you can use other mechanisms.

7 hours ago, Maddhin said:

And having said that: for guys who (only) work with tags and only a handful of notebooks, links to tags seem an actually absolutely essential feature.

:huh: "For guys"? Really? "It's 2018!", right?

Anyways, as an Evernote user who sticks to a handful of notebooks (< 10 in my work account, < 20 in my personal account) and who uses tags to organize; I'd consider even the more powerful "search links" above to be useful, but certainly not essential. I've lived without it in Evernote for almost 10 years without any need for a mechanism like it (much less a burning need), after all. I'd call it a "nice-to-have", at best.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Maddhin said:

Don't know if it is new or not, but if it is worth that much to you it is possible roll your own "tag finder" using something like PhraseExpress.  For example, I created my own hot key such when I highlight some text, hover, and then press Ctrl+Alt+LeftMouseButton a search is executed in EN for the string.  FWIW.

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, CalS said:

Don't know if it is new or not, but if it is worth that much to you it is possible roll your own "tag finder" using something like PhraseExpress.  For example, I created my own hot key such when I highlight some text, hover, and then press Ctrl+Alt+LeftMouseButton a search is executed in EN for the string.  FWIW.

There's some precedence for this in Chrome: select some text, right-click, and select "Search Google for "blah"". Maybe context menu entries like "Search Evernote for "blah"" and "Search Evernote for notes with tag "blah"" would be helpful.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jefito said:

There's some precedence for this in Chrome: select some text, right-click, and select "Search Google for "blah"". Maybe context menu entries like "Search Evernote for "blah"" and "Search Evernote for notes with tag "blah"" would be helpful.

Context menus for highlighted search would be a good idea.  Might still use my PE hacks in some cases.  They are quick, particularly the hover and click with a control key ones.  Only so many control keys and mouse button combinations available though.  :(  

18 hours ago, jefito said:

Not sure what the attempted snark about cooking recipes is,  or what relevance the 250 notebook limit is, but yes, in Evernote, tags are certainly a powerful way of linking notes together. There's nothing necessary about using them, though. I find them useful; in fact, that was a big part of the the initial appeal of Evernote to me, once I figured out how tags worked, but you can use other mechanisms.

uh, I didn't mean to offend anybody who "just" stores cooking recipes in EN. My apologies. If it helps: I myself store a ton of recipes in EN... I just try to say that if you try to store / work with more complex issues in EN, linking etc is (potentially) more necessary - if not essential.

I use EN for private and business and have a lot of projects AND mainly organize with notebooks. In such a scenario, you hit the 250 notebooks after a while and need to re-organize somehow. E.g. by putting old stuff in an archive folder and using tags. But if you just have tagged projects and not created an elaborate structure with "overview" note(s) etc., the only way to get to the project info is to search for the project tag. But connecting the tag, project and e.g. persons involved feels "unnatural": saving the tag in plain text and c&p into search...

18 hours ago, jefito said:

:huh: "For guys"? Really? "It's 2018!", right?

Sorry again, for me "guys" - used as colloquial term - does include ALL genders. I'm not a native speaker and - living far away - are somehow not that influenced by the current North-American gender discussion. I did not mean to exclude or offend anybody.

Well, and then it is 2018 and EN is 10(?) years old. For me personally and the way I use EN, tag links (or search links) would be very useful and I (not being an engineer) don't see a particular good reason why such a shortcut cannot be available - after 10 years.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, jefito said:

I've lived without it in Evernote for almost 10 years without any need for a mechanism like it (much less a burning need), after all. I'd call it a "nice-to-have", at best.

Well with that mentality everything ever invented isn't essential since people have managed without it before it was invented.. Things become essential after you get used to it, so you have to imagine living with it and then having it taken away from you to be able to decide whether it is essential to you or not.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, gustavgi said:

Well with that mentality everything ever invented isn't essential since people have managed without it before it was invented.. Things become essential after you get used to it, so you have to imagine living with it and then having it taken away from you to be able to decide whether it is essential to you or not.

My 'mentality', as a software developer myself, is to try to add features that make users' lives easier, of course. In that role, you get all kinds of ideas about what those features are (from internal and external sources), and you try to be accommodating, but not all ideas are feasible or sensible and developer time is limited, and you need to combine or pick and choose which ones to implement. I think I understand the dynamic pretty well, thank you.

That being said, what you quoted was cherry-picked from a longer post where I explored making the proposed feature even more powerful than what was asked for (meaning I found it interesting and took it seriously, since you seemed to have missed or ignored it), so it's hard for me to understand why on earth you'd think I'm be opposed to making improvements.

Aside from that, my response was to someone who claimed that this feature would somehow 'essential', even though nobody's actually used it because it doesn't actually exist (i.e. nobody could actually have gotten "used to it"), and in my lengthy Evernote experience, it hasn't seemed necessary, and the nearest existing feature (Ctrl+Click on a tag shortcut) is something I know about but never use. Yes, I know how I use Evernote, and have a pretty good sense of what features I'd want to have. And yes, I have an opinion about this one's worth to me: "nice-to-have, at best".

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Maddhin said:

uh, I didn't mean to offend anybody who "just" stores cooking recipes in EN. My apologies. If it helps: I myself store a ton of recipes in EN... I just try to say that if you try to store / work with more complex issues in EN, linking etc is (potentially) more necessary - if not essential.

OK, fair enough; it's just that every so often I run across some poster who writes with disdain about just storing recipes in Evernote, and I think, hey, storing recipes is actually a pretty good illustration of why tags are so important in Evernote. Think of the way that you'd describe a recipe: origin/style ("Chinese", "Italian", "New American", whatever), main ingredient ("Chicken", "Breadfruit",...), course ("Breakfast", "Dessert", ...), method ("Grill", "Fry", ...) and so on. There are myriad potential categories playing against other, and these are all well represented using tags, and I'd guess that would be pretty complex if that was your main enterprise, and so also a candidate for linking improvements.

I use EN for private and business and have a lot of projects AND mainly organize with notebooks. In such a scenario, you hit the 250 notebooks after a while and need to re-organize somehow. E.g. by putting old stuff in an archive folder and using tags. But if you just have tagged projects and not created an elaborate structure with "overview" note(s) etc., the only way to get to the project info is to search for the project tag. But connecting the tag, project and e.g. persons involved feels "unnatural": saving the tag in plain text and c&p into search...

There's nothing wrong with using notebooks to organize in Evernote, but I figured out early on that tags just felt better for me, and so I've never even come close to the limit. The problem I have  with notebooks is that a note can go into only one at a time, whereas notes can have multiple tags. So prefer tags, and don't use notebooks unless I need to. Regardless, whether you organize using notebooks or tags or both, you still need to search in some fashion or another (selecting a notebook or a tag from a list, or by typing); they're really pretty equivalent: categories are categories. Certainly agree that needing to copy/paste a query of some kind into search could be made easier.

6 hours ago, Maddhin said:

Sorry again, for me "guys" - used as colloquial term - does include ALL genders. I'm not a native speaker and - living far away - are somehow not that influenced by the current North-American gender discussion. I did not mean to exclude or offend anybody.

Heh, no problem. In American English (at least), 'guys' can indeed be genderless; I think, though, that you hit a case where it probably would imply males only, so my brain had a mental hiccup over it and your "It's 2018" line was too good to pass up. Besides that, these are sensitive times so we gotta watch ourselves, right? Anyways, if you're not a native speaker, you're actually quite good -- I probably wouldn't have guessed had you not mentioned it. So no harm, no foul.

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, dconnet said:

That should be "So no harm, no fowl"!

Hey you, get back to work in your hen house! You're supposed to say "Gee, what a great idea that right-click, Search Evernote thingy is, and I'm gonna hop to it and knock it off this afternoon and make the nice people all happy." :) 

On 04/04/2012 at 1:40 PM, jefito said:

In the Windows client, you can Shift-click on a tag in the note info panel of a note (you may need to drop it down using F8), and that tag will be added to the current search filter. About as close as you're going to come, at least at the moment.

Most useful thing I got out of the forums today, thanks! (beyond chicken jokes)

On 27.4.2018 at 12:51 AM, jefito said:

OK, fair enough; it's just that every so often I run across some poster who writes with disdain about just storing recipes in Evernote, and I think, hey, storing recipes is actually a pretty good illustration of why tags are so important in Evernote. Think of the way that you'd describe a recipe: origin/style ("Chinese", "Italian", "New American", whatever), main ingredient ("Chicken", "Breadfruit",...), course ("Breakfast", "Dessert", ...), method ("Grill", "Fry", ...) and so on. There are myriad potential categories playing against other, and these are all well represented using tags, and I'd guess that would be pretty complex if that was your main enterprise, and so also a candidate for linking improvements.

There's nothing wrong with using notebooks to organize in Evernote, but I figured out early on that tags just felt better for me, and so I've never even come close to the limit. The problem I have  with notebooks is that a note can go into only one at a time, whereas notes can have multiple tags. So prefer tags, and don't use notebooks unless I need to. Regardless, whether you organize using notebooks or tags or both, you still need to search in some fashion or another (selecting a notebook or a tag from a list, or by typing); they're really pretty equivalent: categories are categories. Certainly agree that needing to copy/paste a query of some kind into search could be made easier.

Let's put it this way: one of the reasons why EN is so popular is that different people can work with it differently and the way they feel is best for them. And that's awesome!

For me it's folders with a little bit of tagging - like a few categories, etc. But tagging as basic organization just doesn't work for me because 1. meticulous tagging (mentally) disturbs my very busy work flow and 2. if I tag by broad categories I might remember the categories but won't find specific stuff and if I tag by specific tags, I cannot remember the tags when I need them (and have to spend time searching for them) - or worse: forget that tag/project exists! We are all not getting younger (*joke bait*) and I try to organize EN the way that it is easy and fast for me to find and dump stuff.

I'm actually continouesly refining the way I work with EN - e.g. more heavily integrating linking, which I find highly effective in my work flows. And also more tagging.

Combining linking and tagging would be ideal as this helps to make more complex relations and "break out of the notebook logic" - or as simple as finding stuff in an archive with one click from an overview note.

But for me, the thing I do not understand is why I can bookmark a folder or a tag and with one click get the notes from that folder/tag but EN does not allow links to notebooks/tags - which is the same thing. If creating those links is technically problematic: fine! But these links are already existent but EN simply does not allow users to use them. I personally think that is a shame as this is a lost opportunity to help people work more efficiently and therefore to make the product better.

• Level 5*

I'm actually continouesly refining the way I work with EN - e.g. more heavily integrating linking ... But for me, the thing I do not understand is why I can bookmark a folder or a tag and with one click get the notes from that folder/tag...

Evernote does not have a folder element.  
Evernote maintains two metadata elements, Notebooks and Tags; attributes assigned to a note.
These elements are maintained in a database, providing linking to notes.

If you need more than notebooks/tags, we can also use keywords.
These can be inserted anywhere in a note's contents; for example keyword:aaaaaaa
The search feature can be used to access notes by these keywords.

>>Although I personally do not see the significant value over tags or standard search

Standard search being adhoc text search?

I find using the tag list/search gives me more precise control.

>>unless you can jump right to the point in the note or similar.

Its a valid request.  Please add your vote to requests like the one  linked below

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Evernote does not have a folder element.  
Evernote maintains two metadata elements, Notebooks and Tags; attributes assigned to a note.
These are elements are maintained in a database, which provides cross-referencing with a note.

We can also create adhoc keywords, inserted anywhere in a note's contents; for example keyword:aaaaaaa
The search feature can be used to access notes by these keywords.

Fair enough, I did use the wrong terminology - I actually meant notebook when I said folder (can you tell I’m a windows guy? LOL)

But whether I called it folder or notebook, I do believe the message was clear. 

Interesting that keyword feature - shall we ask for links for that one, too? Hehe  

Although I personally do not see the significant value over tags or standard search - unless you can jump right to the point in the note or similar. Will study... 

Archived