(Archived) HOWTO: Tags and completed tasks

Hi all,

I've set up two workbooks: "Tasks" and "Completed Tasks". I use a number of tags to sort my tasks, and want to use the number referenced next to the tags to know how many of those particular tags I have left to process. When a task is complete, I move it to the "Completed Tasks" workbook.

The problem is, the number against the tags doesn't change.

Is there any way I can perform this kind of action, and when a task is moved to a completed workbook, the tag count changes?

I'm a newbie, so appreciate that I may have missed something glaringly obvious. Please go easy on me.

Thanks,

Adam

Tags and notebooks are independent of each other.

you can do a manual search for Notebook:tasks, tag:[some tasks] to see number of active tasks. And Notebook:completed tasks, tag:[some tasks] to see number of completed tasks.

You can save those searches and add them to bookmarks bar for easy access but it still won't be as convenient as what you want to get.

You don't even need to use separate notebooks at all btw, they're just adding confusion, you can replace them with tags as well, i.e. instead of Notebook "completed tasks" and "tasks" you can just use tags "active" and "completed"

You need to actually remove/change the tag from a note to change the number of notes associated with the tag (which makes sense).

The easiest option would be to just delete notes with completed actions or just tag them differently/remove tags. You can remove the tag but still keep it as a word in the note itself if it's useful information.

• Level 5

In the Windows Evernote client, I use the checkbox to manage tasks.

To create a checkbox in the note,

Ctrl + Shft + C

To see open tasks:

Left Panel

>Attributes >Contains >Unfinished-to-do items

To see completed tasks:

Left Panel

>Attributes >Contains >Finished-to-do items

As May pointed out above, no need to move the completed note to a different notebook.

Yeah, checkboxes would work but then you still wouldn't see an exact number of active tasks in the tag panel. The only way to do this is to remove the tags which should represent and show the number of active actions from notes with completed actions or even just delete those notes.

Woh, guys! Thanks for the very fast and helpful responses. Much appreciated.

I'm new, and trying to create my perfect working environment. I understand that it'll take time, and I'll need to tweak it occasionally. Your advice will help me do that.

Cheers,

Adam

• Level 5

Just a final thought then: Is there a setting to turn off the tag count indicator? That way the superfluous number won't bother me.

Evernote Windows:

My method to make all the numbers disappear is to press F10 (and the entire Left Panel as well).

I rely on the Snippet View and prefer to gain more real estate by only using the Note List and Note Panel.

If I need the tags, I hit F10 to bring it back again.

• 2 weeks later...

jadrake -

Easiest way I've found is to go to my Completed Tasks Notebook every so often and do a CTRL-A, CTRL-ALT-T, Click "Clear All" Button and hit OK. This removes ALL tags from everything in the Completed Tasks Notebook.

Then the tag counts actually show only Non-Completed Tasks.

I too wish for Tag Count by Notebook instead of global tag count.

Thanks

• Level 5*
Easiest way I've found is to go to my Completed Tasks Notebook every so often and do a CTRL-A, CTRL-ALT-T, Click "Clear All" Button and hit OK. This removes ALL tags from everything in the Completed Tasks Notebook.

Should note that this (specifically, the Assign Tags dialog) only works in the Windows client.

Then the tag counts actually show only Non-Completed Tasks.

I too wish for Tag Count by Notebook instead of global tag count.

What client are you using? I don't see any "Clear All" button on Mac.

EDIT: Jefito beat me to it, just as I was posting. Nevermind then.

We'll that's just evil. I'm running Windows 7. Strange that it exists in the Windows version but not the Mac version, Web version or iOS version.

I don't think it's evil! :)

All clients have different interfaces

You can't even press CTRL on iOS for example and so on

• 4 weeks later...

Perfect! Just what I wanted. Thanks.

Archived