No paper statement/bill - how do you "do the work"?

happy1

If you are relying on digitized bills/bank statements/tax documentation, how do you "do the work"?

In other words, I'm needing the computer for both the inputs (digital bills/bank statements/tax docs) AND to pay my bills(Login to my bank) and (Quicken)/balance my checking account(Quicken)/do my taxesTurboTax.

I've been using a second computer - one computer to display the inputs and the other to do the work.

Other suggestions?

Once you have two monitors, you can never go back. It is pretty much the best thing ever.

Otherwise, you could have a large monitor (23+ inches) and have two windows open side by side, or have a tablet like an iPad and have your source document on the iPad and "do the work" on the computer.

Just a few suggestions.

bduncan said is best "Once you have two monitors, you can never go back. It is pretty much the best thing ever." I have EN running on my left monitor at startup and do everything else on the right monitor. When you find that gem in the browser, just clip it into EN on the left.

David in Wichita

Personally, I'm on the go a lot! I work two full time jobs and going paperless for me is a must! Because I'm usually on a laptop having two monitors is difficult for me. Remember the windows shortcut keys of Alt+Tab these will switch between windows that are open. If you are just going back and forth between two windows it will rotate between only those two. Other than that, I have learned some shortcuts for copy and paste such as Ctrl C for copy, and Ctrl for Paste. Hope this helps!

Thanks gang - the two monitors - is this with one computer? I can't figure out how to set that one up, if that's what you mean. Chris - I am also usually on a laptop as well - the split screen is a bit difficult to maneuver.

Thanks gang - the two monitors - is this with one computer? I can't figure out how to set that one up, if that's what you mean. Chris - I am also usually on a laptop as well - the split screen is a bit difficult to maneuver.

If you are using a laptop, then yes, you plug a monitor into your laptop. Then you can have the document on one screen and Quicken etc. on the other.

If you don't feel like doing that, Windows 7 has a feature called "Snap" which is pretty handy for having side-by-side windows. I made a video about that a while ago if you are interested: http://www.documentsnap.com/video-use-windows-7-snap-to-compare-documents/.

Brooks, thanks for the video - I'm on a Mac - which app were you referring to?

I use one called BetterSnapTool which is pretty good. The one most Mac writers are in love with is called Moom. It looks awesome, but I haven't personally tried it. Might be worth checking features and reviews and seeing if they meet your need.

• 1 month later...

If you are using a laptop, then yes, you plug a monitor into your laptop. Then you can have the document on one screen and Quicken etc. on the other.

If you don't feel like doing that, Windows 7 has a feature called "Snap" which is pretty handy for having side-by-side windows. I made a video about that a while ago if you are interested: http://www.documents...are-documents/.

Snap works very nicely. Yesterday I input all of my Visa credit card expenses into my Quickbooks. Using Snap I was able to have half the screen dedicated to the Visa pdf and the other half screen was the Quickbooks register. It was slightly constricted but I had no problem whatsoever sizing the two screens in such a way that I could see everything I needed. In fact, for each dollar value on the Visa statement I was able to copy/paste that value directly into Quickbooks (actually I could have copy/pasted anything but most of my vendors are "memorized" on Quickbooks.

On my Mac, I just open the program in question on the left side and have a skinny finder window on the right side or split the screen down the middle if needing two documents open simultaneously.

• 2 weeks later...

On my Mac, I just open the program in question on the left side and have a skinny finder window on the right side or split the screen down the middle if needing two documents open simultaneously.

I just purchased an Apple Thunderbolt to VGA dongle and connected the flat panel LCD from a windows tower that we no longer use. I can hardly believe that I've gone without this extra screen space. I now have files open on one LCD for viewing and the other LCD on the MacBook for entering data. The dongle is $29, so if anyone has an extra monitor around the house like I did, give this a try. Not to mention, Apple will take the dongle back no questions asked for 14 days.

Archived