(Archived) Editing original file after attaching to EN

bradmathews

When you attach an existing file to EN, any changes to that file are no longer reflected in the version in EN. If you open the file from within EN, any changes are made to it's version, not the original file.

You end with two copies of the file on your computer, one in it's original location and one in the Attachments folder. Not good.

Is there a way to have EN link the original file in its original location and not make it's own copy? I understand that moving the file would kill the link, but having two separate copies is potentially much more confusing and dangerous.

Thanks,

Brad

• Level 5*

I think many users, including me, would prefer that Evernote NOT automatically link/update the original file on our hard drive.

Here are some options to address your concern of having multiple copies of the same file, but with different content:

1. Paste a link to the original file (file:///) into the Note instead of attaching a copy of the file.
  2. After you attach the file to the Note you can then delete, rename, or move the original file to an "OLD" folder.

• Level 5*

The best option, which was suggested a long time ago, was that EN should empty the Attachments folder when closing the program. That hasn't been programmed yet, so users have to do it manually. Whether this thread will prompt the programmers to design that element, I have no idea - and they won't say until it appears in the program!

JMichael, your post popped up while I was writing this. Your suggestion to EN a link works if you only work on one computer - it will not work if you are using one of the many other options. At least with storing the file in Evernote you have the file available everywhere ...

• Level 5*
When you attach an existing file to EN, any changes to that file are no longer reflected in the version in EN. If you open the file from within EN, any changes are made to it's version, not the original file.

Correct. Attachments live in the database.

You end with two copies of the file on your computer, one in it's original location and one in the Attachments folder. Not good.

Not a big deal. The attachments folder holds temporary copies of attachments, but the actual attachments are stored inside the database file (the .exb file in the folder above). If you shut down Evernote completely, and shut down any program that's accessing Evernote attachments, you should be able to empty the Attachments folder altogether. It should be done by the program, but I believe that there are difficulties in ensuring that attachments are safe to delete, so it's not always done.

Is there a way to have EN link the original file in its original location and not make it's own copy? I understand that moving the file would kill the link, but having two separate copies is potentially much more confusing and dangerous.

Yes, you can do this, but it's not usually necessary. For one thing, a linked file will not be accessible from any other client. So long as you don't actually edit items in the Attachments folder, there is no danger involved.

Thank you all for your information and suggestions. I am just learning how to best mold this tool to my needs.

I think I have decided that for the most part Evernote should not be used for documents that can be changed outside of its walls. When you must you can use JMichael's link idea which works pretty well (remember to shift-click a file to Copy As Path to help with this) but it will not be available outside of that computer.

In the future if Evernote could include a Sync to external file feature that would be nice so you can include spreadsheets and other externally sourced documents that regularly change. You could also make that Word doc you edit within EN available to the outside world by syncing the other direction. I know you could do that last part manually right now.

- Brad

• 4 months later...

Without getting too technical, it would be nice to have an option to add a link to a file.

I can live with the file not being available on other clients. A simple message stating that the file resides in another machine will do for me. Or maybe a simple quick view / read only peek into it will do.

This could sit alongside the current button of attaching the file. Attaching the file is good for images/pdf, static things.

But not for Live / WIP docs. At the moment, not even attaching an Alias in Evernote does the trick.

A quick button that picks a doc but then simply attaches a link to the file instead of the file itself would be handy. Could be even built into the current Link functionality that only handles URLs.

• 5 months later...
  1. Paste a link to the original file (file:///) into the Note instead of attaching a copy of the file.

Perfect solution but I don't get how to do this. I type file:/// and then the entire address of the file beginning with C: and so on? I tried that and it didn't work. An example would help. As usual (so far), the Knowledgebase is useless.

• 2 weeks later...

Perfect solution but I don't get how to do this. I type file:/// and then the entire address of the file beginning with C: and so on? I tried that and it didn't work. An example would help. As usual (so far), the Knowledgebase is useless.

Taken from here: http://discussion.ev...nk/#entry143382

1. If you're on a PC, hold shift and right click on the file in explorer.
  2. Select 'Copy as path'.
  3. Go to the evernote client and type "file:///" (without the quotes)
  4. CTRL-V to paste the file location.
  5. Delete the quotes.
  6. Voila.

If you're on a Mac, follow the instructions from here:

For those running the Mac OS, you can just drag the file from the Finder to a Browser address bar and it will enter the file path.

You can then copy this and paste into the Evernote Add Link (CMD+K) dialog.

Then, after you have the file path on your clipboard (from above), do this in your Evernote Note:

1. select the text you want to use for the link,
  2. press CMD+K,
  3. enter "file://" and then
  4. paste (CMD+V).
  5. Click "OK"

You should end up with the link looking something like "file:///Users/<YourMacLoginName>/Documents/MyFile.pdf"

Hi all,

Having linked by folder about 10,000 Word docs that now reside in Evernote, I decided that any future changes would only be carried out from Evernote. Making the original document redundant.

It is just about your mindset and how it best works for you.

Best regards

Chris

Archived