Duplex Scanning and Bleedthrough

ric

Just curious if any of the scanners that do one-pass duplex scanning do any sort of image subtraction to eliminate any bleedthrough? Is bleedthrough an issue on these scanners?

Thanks.

It happens, but not very often, and generally (for me, anyway), ONLY when the backside is blank. If there's text on both sides, I don't think I've ever gotten bleedthrough from one side to the other so bad that it affected the OCR of the "real" text on that side.

In short, not enough to worry about.

I have the 1500 ScanSnap.

• Level 5

I've used a ScanSnap S300 for the past couple years. The majority (90+%) are duplex scanned and cannot recall any examples of bleedthrough.

If I had to scan something typed on both sides of onionskin paper, I would probably do a one side scan (simplex) for both sides then let Evernote merge the two notes.

edit: strike the onion skin suggestion - it will not solve the bleedthrough issue. my bad.

From my experience, bleed through does not occur with automatic settings. It becomes an issue when manually increasing scan quality or adjusting brightness or exposure type settings. Am I saying that it can not occur using automatic settings? No. Automatic settings tend to be a compromise between image quality and usability, and thus eliminate a majority of artifact issues.

Archived