Adobe acrobat X does not recognize Fujitsu scanner

idoc

Is there a reason why my Adobe acrobat X (which came with the Fujitsu S1500 scanner) does not recognize the scanner? When I select "Create" on a PDF document and then select "PDF from Scanner" it does not recognize that a scanner is connected. I get an error message saying that no scanner is connected or recognized. I have even gone within the Fujitsu software settings and enabled Adobe Acrobat in the Standard settings, but that doesn't work either. I don't find it a huge limitation since I can always create a pdf from any document I scan and then open that with Acrobat. However, if I'm already in acrobat and editing a pdf I can't simply scan in another pdf to attach directly from the scanner.

Long story short, what you are trying to do requires a technology called TWAIN which some scanners support and some scanners (such as, as you've discovered, the Fujitsu ScanSnap) do not support.

You can definitely scan to Acrobat from the ScanSnap software, as it sounds like you have set up (add Acrobat as an application on the Application tab), but you can't initiate the scan from within Acrobat.

• 1 month later...

Well, this is annoying in only one regard: Sometimes when I have a pdf that is open, it would be nice to be able to scan a document directly from the snapscan into the open pdf. For example, let's say I have a pdf which contains all my visa statements for 2012. I have forgotten to put in February's statement. It would be great if I could simply open the 2012 PDF, navigate down to the end of January and then scan in the Feb pages directly into that. Currently, I cannot do that because Acrobat gives me an option of "insert from scanner" but this does not work. Therefore, I need to scan the second document into a seperate file, open it up, go to the thumbnail view and do the exact same thing for the first file. I can then drag the pages from the first into the second. I have not figured out an easier way of doing this.

Well, this is annoying in only one regard: Sometimes when I have a pdf that is open, it would be nice to be able to scan a document directly from the snapscan into the open pdf. For example, let's say I have a pdf which contains all my visa statements for 2012. I have forgotten to put in February's statement. It would be great if I could simply open the 2012 PDF, navigate down to the end of January and then scan in the Feb pages directly into that. Currently, I cannot do that because Acrobat gives me an option of "insert from scanner" but this does not work. Therefore, I need to scan the second document into a seperate file, open it up, go to the thumbnail view and do the exact same thing for the first file. I can then drag the pages from the first into the second. I have not figured out an easier way of doing this.

This would be a very interesting feature if it worked with the ScanSnap. This must be new to Adobe Acrobat X because it's not in 9 Pro. I wonder whether this is something that will get worked out between Fujitsu and Adobe in the future?

As for your process, I think you probably have it down to the best it's going to get. I suppose you could scan to a consistent folder on your computer. Have the PDF document open that you want to add pages to. Choose the option Document->Insert Pages. I don't know if this in any way is easier than what you currently do.

Actually, GHall, the problem is insoluable for now. Apparently the Fujitsu is NOT twain compatible which is what Acrobat needs to recognize a scanner. Therefore, it is able to recognize that a pdf file has been produced but not the scanner that is producing it.

• 1 month later...

Update: For those who are interested: I finally got another scanner which is fully Twain compatible and I am finding that the advantages over the Snapscan is little to none. Yes, I do have the ability to have my scan instantly recognized by acrobat (which Scanscan can't do), but this really offers very little advantage. Currently, if I want to scan a document and incorporate it into a pdf which already exists, I would need to scan the document with snapscan and then save it onto my desktop. I would then merge the two as needed. With the twain compatible scanner I can scan the document directly into the first one without needing to use the desktop as an intermediary holding spot. This saves me about 30 seconds but forces me to use a scanner which is far inferior to Snapscan. Therefore, as far as I'm concerned, the twain compliance issue has been overstated.

• 2 years later...

Archived