What about color code?

George Chen

Just wondering if notes can be categorised with a more 'generic' type, e.g. color code?

We naturally recognise vegetable from meat in a shopping trolley as it's easy to distinguish them

from colors.(fresh green meat? from Mars?)

The idea originates from M$ Outlook 2003+ color codes implementation.

Oops I forget we have tags in evernote! What about attaching a color code to a tag?

Anyway I am not sure it is a good idea though. Open discussion for you creative

evernote guys!!

Yesterday I was absurdly cheerful to find a most important email(in page 286) from my Gmail

inbox thanks to the color code assigned 2 years ago. I even forget the email subject.

Do we need more? No we don't. Sorry for not searching similar topics first.

• Level 5*

BTW, I'm not saying that it's not a good suggestion, or that some color enhancements wouldn't be useful; just that it's been discussed. Hard to say if Evernote has this on their list of features to add, though.

Just to play devil's advocate - if everyone shut up about something because it's already been discussed... It would seem that interest had faded. Of course, replying to an existing thread or whatever is the "correct" way to go about this, but ya gotta admit - it's less "in your face" than a new thread. i love the interweb :)

• Level 5*

Just wondering if notes can be categorised with a more 'generic' type, e.g. color code?

We naturally recognise vegetable from meat in a shopping trolley as it's easy to distinguish them

from colors.(fresh green meat? from Mars?)

The idea originates from M$ Outlook 2003+ color codes implementation.

Oops I forget we have tags in evernote! What about attaching a color code to a tag?

Anyway I am not sure it is a good idea though. Open discussion for you creative

evernote guys!!

hi george. i think people liked your emoticons suggestion, and i am sure there are lots of people who would like to see colors. certainly, if you are a mac user then you have seen the anti-color forces within evernote hard at work stripping the interface of cheery yellows, and even elephant greens!

personally, i prefer the stripped down look without colors. and, i'm not an emoticon kind of monkey. but, as with so many other things in life, it's nice to have choices. it would be great if evernote gave us the option (you have to take a drink every time i mention that word in the forums) of customizing our user interface.

Thanks for the reply.

I think you might misunderstand my point. I have no intention of proposing a change to the user interface(e.g. notebook or note color).

I was just thinking of another way of categorising notes to ease search so people don't have to remember Beatles tag to a British band or beetle to an insect as

years later they may forget particular tags linking with what kind of notes anyway.

They merely remember a funky note by its code 'pink'.

Well, I express color my personally way. Green no longer stands for Lybia nor green party, it's environmentalism or healthy food. I guess you guys

watched a movie 'A few good man' last century? 'Code Red' is a common type of military orders to rough up an uncooperative soldier.

I even suspect it is necessary to be 'color code' but still a natural way to group, isn't it?

Just a concept.

it would be great if evernote gave us the option (you have to take a drink every time i mention that word in the forums) of customizing our user interface.

I'll do this the next time I'm on vacation.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*

I thought that Evernote staff weren't allowed to have vacations...

The opposite. They are told to take vacations whenever they want and given money to do it, but... they also have to do their jobs. Kind of a Catch-22 situation when you think about how busy they've been this month!

it would be great if evernote gave us the option (you have to take a drink every time i mention that word in the forums) of customizing our user interface.

I know I'm coming very late to this thread.... but does it seem strange to anyone else that an Evernote employee would take the time to post on this thread without making any comment whatsoever about the issues under discussion...? 

Is there some reason why we should not know what Evernote is thinking on the topic of users having the option (gulp) of customising their user interface?

This primarily a user forum. Evernote employees go around reading the threads and sometimes commenting, but it is primarily for the users. We don't give out roadmaps or timelines so there often aren't too many updates to be gleaned from our comments.

• Level 5*

I know I'm coming very late to this thread.... but does it seem strange to anyone else that an Evernote employee would take the time to post on this thread without making any comment whatsoever about the issues under discussion...? 

Is there some reason why we should not know what Evernote is thinking on the topic of users having the option (gulp) of customising their user interface?

dlu has written a lot about the topic of customization / options in threads throughout the forums. This isn't the thread I had in mind (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/20983-optimal-space-usage-in-list-view/?p=106469), but it gives you a sense of how active he is in the forums, and the design philosophy one developer has. I rather strongly disagree with his position, but I appreciate that he is so open about it, and I'll grant that it is a well-reasoned argument (even if I think it could be improved if he would only listen more to me). More customization and options please -- where is my vertical list view on Mac!? :)

I am not a big color guy myself, only use plain text, and don't organize information that way, but I can see why people would. I have some templates that I think would address the OP's feature request. They will give you color in your snippets, and color in the text if you just copy/paste some color codes into the snippet image area at the bottom of the notes (#0000000, #000066, etc.).

http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/template.html 

I see. Well thanks for the reply.

I've been looking through fair few other posts on these forums over the last few days about colour notebooks and visual differentiation and other user interface issues and none of them give much of an idea as to what Evernote might or might not be considering in the future around these idea.

I'm guessing from your responses there is no way to get a clearer understanding of what Evernote is planning in the future around these ideas? Maybe this is because Evernote would prefer not to flag where they are going to competitors or maybe just that topics around user interface it is so far down the list that it is not getting much consideration at the moment (if this is the case does anyone know what is higher up the list to get development attention first?).

There are a fair few threads around topics such as adding some colour and / or other visual differentiation to notebooks. I suppose shows at least some leave of support / interest among the user base for features like this but what level of support I suppose would be very hard to tell, I guess....

• Level 5*

@Cactus: the posts here by the Evernote CTO Dave Engberg pretty much sum it up (in fact, you'll find a number of topic where he says something very similar if you search the forums for "look like jerks"; that's how I found this link). Short of the occasional occurrence of features that are very close to completion, we just don't get much indication of what features might be coming soon. In general, for strategizing on how to use Evernote, it's just best to deal with Evernote as it exists.That doesn't mean that you shouldn't make requests and suggestions;those are appreciated, but you're just going to have to take it on faith that they're heard.

• 1 year later...

color coding is a must. Why havent Evernote added this yet? 

I would imagine it's because Evernote doesn't see it as a must. However, they do not generally post their development roadmap so, unless they make an announcement or the features appears, we will probably never know. 

See Grumpy Monkey's post above from 27 March 2013 for a workaround. 

Archived