Rolling a Work Assignment/To Do note to the next day

PDACPA

I have been using Evernote to keep track of the daily assignments that I give to my employees. The title of the note is usually their Name and "To Do" and the date.

I then list and number each task for them to do. Some times this list might be 20 items long and have some notes. I review their completed tasks and create a new note for the next day.

Here is my issue:

I want a new note with the next date on it, but they do not always complete all the tasks. So in order to create a new note, I copy the text from the day before and paste it in the new note. This means I have to go back and re-number items. This process is not that big a deal, but it does take time.

Is there a way to roll the note over to the next day, put the new date, remove the completed items and have it auto re-number.

I have set them all up on Evernote (but we have not implemented the ToDo list in a shared notebook yet, but it will be coming). Ultimately, I want this to end up being a shared item so I do not have to print it and I can update it as things change during the day and they can use the check boxes to show completed items.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

• Level 5*

I don't know any solutions for the automatic renumbering, but when I do TODO lists I:

- make lists with dashes

- if you do this copy and paste to the next day works fine

- but, i guess you don't get the benefit of sequence

Well sometimes the list is maybe for a few days as I will be tied up. Things get left on the list as we are waiting for information, etc.

There are a variety of reasons the list may be long. I might not get to meet with them for a couple of days, or out of the office, etc. People will make work stretch to their clock out time if they think they are done ;)

The dash idea is an option. I like the numbers as we can reference the particular line item faster. I might give it a shot to test it.

Can a note be copied (ie without highlighting all the text and pasting it in a new note)? That might work to move the list faster.

• Level 5*

1. Right click -> Copy to Notebook (on the Mac)

2. How about this? The dates keep everything in order.

- 120229-01 Take out the trash

- 120228-10 Kill Trinity, dismember him, and dump body parts in the ocean

- 120227-23 Analyze blood spatter patterns

Check out www.zendone.com . It is a GTD based task manager that nicely integrates with Evernote. And it has delegating, postponing etc. functionality. Very, very nice application which stands out of the task managers crowd because of its integration with Evernote. They are still in private beta, but they send invitations if asked nicely on their blog or Twitter.

Keep the note rolling but keep the top part of the note for the next set of assignments.

Do not use the title bar for the notes title, instead use the first line of the note (the blank title bar will then "look" at the first line and use that as the title, if the first line is changed, the title will automatically change).

So on for Day 1 (Monday) first line is :

PaulW To Do 1st March 2012 (1/3/2012)

1. write weekly report

2. prepare for Wednesday marketing meeting

3. research widgets (for Thursday product meeting)

4. analyse last weeks overtime overspend and recommend new rules on authorising overtime

At the end of the day PaulW completed items 1 and 2 but is still working on 3 and 4. He changes the note like this...

PaulW To Do 1st March 2012 ACTIONED

4. analyse last weeks overtime overspend and recommend new rules on authorising overtime

Completed

1. write weekly report

2. prepare for Wednesday marketing meeting

-----

You can then search for ACTIONED To Do and you rollover the note for the next day like this....

PaulW To Do 2nd March 2012

4. analyse last weeks overtime overspend and recommend new rules on authorising overtime (I need this by end of today Paul)

5. draft some words about the new project for Fridays department meeting

6. fit a new whiteboard in my office / the old one is now full

Completed

DID YOU INCLUDE HOLIDAY PLANNING? 1. write weekly report

AGREED 2. prepare for Wednesday marketing meeting

The title always reflects the top line, which contains the main search criteria

So at all times you can search on ACTIONED or To DO.

there is feedback in both directions

the list is rolling

the items are always uniquely numbered and that number is incremented when you add a new item

you choose when to start a new list, weekly, monthly, whenever.

/hope that helps.

regards Paul Wilson (London, England - hence the date formatting!)

Look at bulleted lists with numbers.

This way as you re order/edit the list the numbers stay the same. Tabbing when in a numbered list will let you have separately numbered sub tasks. A 'soft return' will let you add notes to the task without creating a new number.

Sample I threw together attached.

Cheers,

S.

Archived