(Archived) REQUEST: Ability to remove single pages in a multi-page PDF

obelix

Idea

Hi all,

I am busy scanning my papers through snapscan s1300 into evernote.

What I'm terribly missing is the possibility to remove a single page from the scanned multipage pdf. With the s1300 beeing a double side scanner I sometimes receive two pages from one sheet, where the second one is a light shining mirrored image of the front side. So it would be great to be able to remove this one and leave the others as they are.

Does someone know how to achive that? I could not find. Neither in Evernote for Mac nor in Windows version.

Thank in advance for your help!

best

Obelix

15 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi - if you have the ScanSnap manager installed, try right-clicking on the tray icon. You may have to try this twice to get the right menu - just OK anything that comes up until you get the choice of a simplex scan. Then start your scanning process via this right-click option. (Works for my S1500 anyway)

ScanSnap is very good at recognising and ignoring blank pages, but it does have a difficult job to do when there's lots of ambient light, or your paper has any marking on the back (like lines) which make it other than pure white.

If you have a scan with mixed 1- and 2-sided content, use Adobe (or any of most PDF editors) to delete any unnecessary pages. You can also rotate pages that have been misoriented and crop pages that have too much white space around the important content.

If you scan to Evernote directly, you'll be able to double-click the PDF in your note to open it in your editor, then save the adjusted content directly back to the note. Beware this means a double hit on your upload stats unless you're offline - if there's lots of editing to do, you may want to scan to folder first, then move the files to an Import folder to get them into Evernote.

(Rookie error #35 - don't drag and drop a bunch of files from your desktop directly into Evernote unless you want one note with lots of PDFs in it..)

thanks a lot for your answer. Up to now I scan directly into evernote (I used to scan into paperless and I could do all that things there).

So I think I will scan to folder if scanning lots of sheets...

Is upload restricted when in "pro" status? I wanted to buy a subscription today, but paying via paypal did not work...

• Level 5*

Is upload restricted when in "pro" status?

You're "limited" to 1GB month which is usually more than enough capacity - if you are a serial uploader (I'm sure there's a pun in there somewhere) you can buy a further extension to that amount for the current month.

Hi all,

I am busy scanning my papers through snapscan s1300 into evernote.

What I'm terribly missing is the possibility to remove a single page from the scanned multipage pdf. With the s1300 beeing a double side scanner I sometimes receive two pages from one sheet, where the second one is a light shining mirrored image of the front side. So it would be great to be able to remove this one and leave the others as they are.

Does someone know how to achive that? I could not find. Neither in Evernote for Mac nor in Windows version.

Thank in advance for your help!

best

Obelix

I would like to see some rudimentary editing of pdfs inline. Here is what I would like to be able to do:

1. Right-click on a page and delete it. (High priority)

2. Right-click on a page and rotate it. (High priority)

3. Select adjacent pdfs in a note and join them into a single pdf. (Low priority)

4. Right-click on a page and split the pdf into two adjacent pdfs at that point. (Low priority)

• Level 5

I would like to see some rudimentary editing of pdfs inline. Here is what I would like to be able to do:

3. Select adjacent pdfs in a note and join them into a single pdf. (Low priority)

4. Right-click on a page and split the pdf into two adjacent pdfs at that point. (Low priority)

Those choices are no where close to rudimentary editing.

If you need those advanced capabilities, you will have to buy some PDF editing software - current prices range from $75 up to $700.

...Beware this means a double hit on your upload stats unless you're offline - if there's lots of editing to do, you may want to scan to folder first, then move the files to an Import folder to get them into Evernote.

I defined a local Inbox notebook which I called "Inbox Local". I'm scanning directly to that notebook. As soon as I have renamed and tagged the note, I move it to the final (sync or local) notebook.

That way I avoid a double upload and private documents, which will remain in a local notebook will not be uploaded after the scan.

Seeing that this was posted in the Mac section, here's my workflow, no special software or settings required:

1. Scan item into Evernote

2. Open the PDF in Preview (right-click anywhere inside the PDF and choose "open").

3. In Preview, click the "thumbnails" toolbar icon (or hit alt-CMD-2) to show the pages in the sidebar

4. There, select the page(s) to delete and hit CMD-delete

5. Save the PDF.

The caveat about the impact on your upload limits still applies (as with all edits).

(Late) Edit: You can rotate pages in Preview by selecting them and pressing CMD-L or CMD-R (or via the menu).

Those choices are no where close to rudimentary editing.

If you need those advanced capabilities, you will have to buy some PDF editing software - current prices range from $75 up to $700.

All of those actions are possible with Preview, which is included with OSX. Also, I know that PDF support is quite integrated into OSX itself. Since all of that is true, I would think that we should have better support for PDFs within Evernote than we do.

I don't know why you are suggesting PDF editing software costing up to $700? It would be nice to do annotations as well, but again, Preview provides this capability already.

There's also free software for Windows that does this too.

I use the following free tools on Windows.

A handy trick I read today about to remove pages using just a pdf viewer and a pdf printer driver is to reprint your pdf, selecting on the pages you don't want removed.

Eg, I have an 8 page document and don't want page 2 or 7, I can just print it to a new PDF with pages 1,3-6,8 selected.

Now I have a new pdf with only the pages I want in less steps that the split and merge technique (that you'd use with pdftk or pdfsam).

This is nonsense!   I cannot see any reason why these basic pdf workflow tools cannot be integrated into Evernote !

Simply assign a software engineer to write the code and get the tools into the product.

Pretty basic editing features.  No body has asked for pdf content to be edited or split into actual page content files.

Thomas

Archived