(Archived) HOWTO: Evernote using discrete GPU on MBP

mobiusXP

Idea

Hey guys! Love using evernote and it's a great tool for classes.

One of the great things about having Evernote and a MacBook Pro is that it's really great to be able to take notes in a setting where I'm running around between classes all day. With the latest Evernote for Mac update I've noticed that Evernote is using the discrete GPU again. This only happened before when I used the full screen function but now every time Evernote starts it uses the discrete GPU. The Macbook's battery life decreases by a few hours and I've tried not opening other programs and it is Evernote that is causing the battery drain. Has anyone else had this problem with Evernote and is there anything I can do about it?

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I think that the idea is to try to figure out exactly what Evernote is doing at the time that the behavior is happening, and the activity log may hold a clue... Perhaps you should file a support inquiry.

I use gfxCardStatus for two things:

• Show me what program is activating the discrete graphics
  • Force the integrated Intel graphics to remain active

With gfxCardStatus it's easy to confirm Evernote is the application that is activating the discrete graphics upon Evernote startup. I grabbed the Mac OS Console log and Evernote Activity log and submitted a support case.

I use gfxCardStatus for two things:

• Show me what program is activating the discrete graphics
  • Force the integrated Intel graphics to remain active

With gfxCardStatus it's easy to confirm Evernote is the application that is activating the discrete graphics upon Evernote startup. I grabbed the Mac OS Console log and Evernote Activity log and submitted a support case.

Same here. I use gfxCardStatus to force the use of integrated graphics, which I've noticed I only need to do when using Evernote. Even watching a full screen video in Quicktime doesn't activate the GPU, why in the world does Evernote need it. Especially since it works fine on my normal Macbook which doesn't even have discrete graphics.

I installed version 3.1.2. I noticed that what is causing the switching to discrete graphics on my macbook is the login screen, apparently the animation on it is causing the switch. If you check the 'login automatically' box on this screen, the next time you start evernote, it will skip this screen, and consequently not cause it to switch to discrete. Problem solved.

Archived