(Archived) TIP: Evernote on OSX Mountain Lion

benkopf

Idea

Hi, I have just installed Apple's new Mountain Lion (OSX 10.8.x) developer preview on my Mac Air and my notes will not migrate successfully without crashing the app. Just a heads up since it's not in everyone's hands yet.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Install OSX Mountain Lion.

2. Download Evernote for the Mac (latest release version).

3. Run Evernote for the Mac.

* The migration process starts but crashes after attempting the migration for a few seconds. I have attached the dump.

Thanks,

Ben

spinthought

en_306_mountainlion_crash.rtf

30 replies to this idea

Thanks to everyone who sent over activity logs (include some people who didn't post here, but read the thread). So far we've seen one crash happen several times, but it isn't something we're able to resolve at the moment. We'll take another run at it soon

Just tried using the photo option for notes with Mountain Lion upgrade. Photos are way too small and I see now way to enlarge them. This needs to be fixed. Used to be able to shoot business cards with icam and read them fine, now they're too small!

Do you mean photo you take with your webcam is too small? Is there a sample note you could send over? Also, wanted to check, this is for Lion and not Mountain Lion, correct?

Just tried using the photo option for notes with Mountain Lion upgrade. Photos are way too small and I see now way to enlarge them. This needs to be fixed. Used to be able to shoot business cards with icam and read them fine, now they're too small!

As a general policy, we actually don't spend any significant amount of developer time on beta software - they're most definitely a moving target. We code for gold masters.

However, there's definite value in capturing logs from early adopters for the data we receive from them can help us avoid issues we may have otherwise missed in the coding process. It can also be something glaringly obvious that has nothing to do with the beta OS, and something to do with an incompatible plugin.

And, we also just want to help everyone, if we can.

Hey;

Just one voice, from another developer, saying please DON'T take the time to work on this.

OSX 10.8 is pre-release software, changing frequently, and full of bugs. Evernote users running it should be developers who know and understand that; if they're 'early adopters' using developer-only code for whom this is 'inconvenient' or 'please fix fast thanks', well, read the back of your ticket: 10.8 is not for daily use yet. If you don't understand that, well, it's not my place to tell you you shouldn't be running it, but really, do you need to put the burden on the backs of these developers doing such good work? Chill out, or run released software. Heat, kitchen, etc.

I'd rather have Evernote work on their own bugs and/or new features than spin around in circles chasing a moving target that is reasonably likely to be an Apple bug that vanishes by the time 10.8 is actually released - you know, the time when you're supposed to start using it for real, day-to-day work?

Good work, guys, and don't feel pressured to waste it.

Awesome, looks like it wasn't anything we were doing wrong in the first place

Well done. Looks like you are ahead of the curve this time. :)

:) I'll take it when we can get it

FWIW, 3.1.0 Beta 1 works really well under Mountain Lion DP3 (have it running for a few hours, no glitches so far) — even the Spotlight previews show up (took some time, though, but not it works flawlessly).

That is very encouraging. I am assuming that the beta is available to the public.

And the current Mac Store version works fine with DP3. Yay! Well, that was a lot of swirl over nothing. :)

FWIW, 3.1.0 Beta 1 works really well under Mountain Lion DP3 (have it running for a few hours, no glitches so far) — even the Spotlight previews show up (took some time, though, but not it works flawlessly).

That is very encouraging. I am assuming that the beta is available to the public.

There's a few things log jammed that makes it harder for us to hunt down issues, fix them and get a release out to you with those Mtn Lion fixes, but this is still on our radar. Thanks for the reminders.

• Level 5*

I've tried the AppZapper removal of Evernote Mac and reinstall suggestion without success. Hopefully this is starting to get more cycles.

I thought these kinds of things were why Apple did the developer previews, so that Software companies can be ready for the eventual launch.

I certainly appreciate Evernote!! I am thoroughly addicted and going through serious withdrawals right now.

even if evernote had developed an update that would match the ever-changing mountain lion pre-release, they wouldn't have it available yet, right? i've found evernote to be pretty well-prepared for launches of updated operating systems, but months ahead of time seems a lot to ask. i can understand your pain, but it seems to me that it would be best to partition your disk and put in windows or lion somewhere.

I've tried the AppZapper removal of Evernote Mac and reinstall suggestion without success. Hopefully this is starting to get more cycles.

I thought these kinds of things were why Apple did the developer previews, so that Software companies can be ready for the eventual launch.

I certainly appreciate Evernote!! I am thoroughly addicted and going through serious withdrawals right now.

What? You won't provide support on a developer release OS that's updated every two weeks? That's preposterous! ;-)

For folks who feel this is mission critical, don't forget that Evernote has a web interface. If you're really up to it, you can partition your hard drive and install Lion on the second partition. Oh, and you could install parallels and run Lion within a VM. Boom?

Woke this morning with the same problem....The screen on my iMac running 10.8 DP have a crash report from EN. When I tried restarting EN, it crashed again. I reinstalled (3.0.6) and the same happened. Sent a trouble ticket with the crash report.

Same problem on my 13" MBA.

Fortunately, no problem on iOS devices.

Help soon please.

We've looked into it. It may not be something we can solve at this time. Since it is a developer preview, I'm limiting the amount of time we're putting on this until the next beta of 10.8 Mountain Lion. Sorry guys!

Woke this morning with the same problem....The screen on my iMac running 10.8 DP have a crash report from EN. When I tried restarting EN, it crashed again. I reinstalled (3.0.6) and the same happened. Sent a trouble ticket with the crash report.

Same problem on my 13" MBA.

Fortunately, no problem on iOS devices.

Help soon please.

Need to give this some more attention, but when we did a clean install of Mountain Lion and of Evernote it worked just fine. So I theorize (Haven't done this yet and the machine I brought home over the weekend is only on 10.7.3) doing a clean uninstall of Evernote (and removing of all of the files under ~/LibraryLibrary/Application Support/Evernote) should do the trick. Actually I'd recommend using AppZapper or a similar program to do the dirty work of removing files.

Hope that helps

You're welcome! Our QA leads vineetw actually is the one who upgraded and was on top of this. I work with both the Mac and Windows teams that really do all the heavy lifting. I just happen to post more :)

• Level 5*

Thanks for posting. We didn't run into this ourselves, but too to be aware of. Thanks again!

dlu, thanks for being so proactive with respect to a new version of the Mac OS.

I think I can safely say that all of us Mac users appreciate you guys preparing for the next OS update in advance. :)

And thanks for your continual effort to bring the Mac client up to par.

Hi, I have just installed Apple's new Mountain Lion (OSX 10.8.x) developer preview on my Mac Air and my notes will not migrate successfully without crashing the app. Just a heads up since it's not in everyone's hands yet.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Install OSX Mountain Lion.

2. Download Evernote for the Mac (latest release version).

3. Run Evernote for the Mac.

* The migration process starts but crashes after attempting the migration for a few seconds. I have attached the dump.

Thanks,

Ben

spinthought

Ben, could you PM me activity logs? Under Help >> Activity Logs..

thanks!

Archived