(Archived) New header is way too big!

Keverino

Idea

I'm very discouraged by the new header on each note - it takes up way too much space and isn't modifiable (after spending a lot of time looking for a setting and searching the forums). I do not need or want the second "toolbar" with the notebook name, nor do I need the THIRD "toolbar" with the created and updated dates - these are already available many places in the ui.

I'm sure many are like me and keep Evernote in a smaller window, so I want all the real estate for note content I can get. This is very annoying. I know it seems like a little thing but this makes me want to investigate alternatives, and I've been a daily user of Evernote for years.

sad face :)

thanks for listening,

Keverino

8 replies to this idea

The new header is actually only 6 pixels (9 pixels including the shadow) more than the old header. You can see screenshots here

I'm curious as to why you feel like the new header is so much bigger?

• Level 5*

i would really like to see something like notational velocity. an interface that can be reduced to less than 25% of the screen (a big deal on smaller monitors) and one that doesn't overload users with too much information. even when you open individual notes in evernote, you can't shrink the box down very much (why?) and all of the header information always shows.

ideally (wait for it.....) we could have options.

yes, i know, it is anathema, but it works! it is simple: give us an option to hide/show metadata. make the selection persistent (instead of the new approach that makes you click it for every single note). problem solved :)

Thanks, DLU, for the response - the illustration you provide is helpful to illuminate my concern. It's not the 6 pixels, it's the fact that in the OLD header I can turn OFF the third toolbar with the font buttons, thus making the header as a whole much narrower, probably on the order of 40 pixels, giving me valuable space at the top of my screen. With the new header, there's no way turn off the new bottom toolbar with the "created/updated" dates, so I'm stuck with the fat header.

I appreciated the suggestion on that page to use the reduced header by opening the note in it's own window, but I rarely do that. I use List View to see all the many note titles at the top of the app and to see my many notebooks in the left column. Many of my notes are really long so that unused space in the header gets really annoying. I only need the title in my header, because the Notebook name (now taking up space in the middle toolbar) is already highlighted in the notebook list, and the created/updated dates are already showing in the list of notes at the top. That's why it's really frustrating - lots of white space that give me redundant (and therefore worse-than-useless) information.

An option to turn off those extra two toolbars would fix this. You had this option in the old toolbar (to suppress the font/formatting toolbar), but after much searching it seems that you've removed this feature.

thanks again for listening.

Thanks, DLU, for the response - the illustration you provide is helpful to illuminate my concern. It's not the 6 pixels, it's the fact that in the OLD header I can turn OFF the third toolbar with the font buttons, thus making the header as a whole much narrower, probably on the order of 40 pixels, giving me valuable space at the top of my screen. With the new header, there's no way turn off the new bottom toolbar with the "created/updated" dates, so I'm stuck with the fat header.

Perhaps it is due to a lack of sleep, but how did you turn off that third toolbar in the old version?

Perhaps it is due to a lack of sleep, but how did you turn off that third toolbar in the old version?

This screenshot might clear things up a bit. The left two sections are version 3.0.5 with the triangle button expanded/collapsed. The rightmost section is the current header.

post-77257-0-62604800-1329819529_thumb.p

It seems that the dynamic bottom row has been a pretty smart move space-wise (only showing formatting buttons when needed), but I still want to be able to simply click the creation date to edit it… But I already posted about this.

• Level 5*

too much dead space and (you know i am going to say it) no control over it. imagine that, organizational freaks who just happen to be control freaks as well :)

still, at least it looks clean. it is definitely an aesthetic improvement.

This screenshot might clear things up a bit. The left two sections are version 3.0.5 with the triangle button expanded/collapsed. The rightmost section is the current header.

post-77257-0-62604800-1329819529_thumb.p

It seems that the dynamic bottom row has been a pretty smart move space-wise (only showing formatting buttons when needed), but I still want to be able to simply click the creation date to edit it… But I already posted about this.

Thanks for the screenshots. But the arrow doesn't collapse the third row with the font selector & other rich text formatting options. You'll see that even collapsed, the new header is ~6-9px taller. And the new header is much shorter than the old expanded header. So I'm thinking there's something else Keverino was talking about

Archived