(Archived) HOWTO: Adding "Send PDF to Evernote" to the PDF menu in the OS X Print dialog

inkedmn

Idea

Sometimes, this little thing will go missing (or won't be installed by default):

20120215-pxieh7ccis38yc2pxk21tde6uu.preview.jpg

Getting it back is pretty straightforward: you just need to take an alias to the Evernote app and drop it into ~/Library/PDF Services. Trouble is the ~/Library folder is hidden by default in OS X Lion. So, I made a little AppleScript that creates the alias in the right spot. Here's how you get/use it:

If all goes well, you shouldn't see any errors and you should now have the "Send PDF to Evernote" option in the PDF menu of the Print dialog.

Hope this is helpful. Post here if it doesn't work and I'll do my best to get you sorted out.

42 replies to this idea

Fantastic. Thanks. But taking this one step further, is there an Applescript (or Automator workflow) that will take a PDF and put it into Evernote automatically? This is part of a wider workflow where I'd like to use Hazel to watch a folder and when it sees a new PDF, I'd like the applescript to copy it (not move) and put the copy into Evernote.

Needless to say this way beyond me!

Thanks.

I have a folder "PdftoEvernote" on my desktop Automator get the files in there send them to my email Evernote account to a speciale notebook. It works great, sometime it take a bit longer but it works

Image is from a Dutch Mac

First he gets the file in the folder, then create the email and send it

post-97317-0-27510900-1342546696_thumb.j

I have the same result as dbexternal. Fresh install of Mountain Lion, installed Evernote app from App Store, ran the applescript above, and the menu item "Send PDF to Evernote" is now there, but selecting it simply opens the Evernote app or brings it to the front.

having the same issue as the above, Print to PDF stopped working after upgrade to Mountain Lion (I actually use server)

when running the script to reinstall the service I get the following error:

error "Finder got an error: Can’t make \"Schwaben:Users:serveradmin:Library:PDF Services\" into type item." number -1700 from "Schwaben:Users:serveradmin:Library:PDF Services" to item

not sure if this is an issue of permissions, I am logged in as the administrator

having the same issue as the above, Print to PDF stopped working after upgrade to Mountain Lion (I actually use server)

when running the script to reinstall the service I get the following error:

error "Finder got an error: Can’t make \"Schwaben:Users:serveradmin:Library:PDF Services\" into type item." number -1700 from "Schwaben:Users:serveradmin:Library:PDF Services" to item

not sure if this is an issue of permissions, I am logged in as the administrator

^ There is not a folder in that location... you would have to make it but it does no good... still have the issue the best thing to do is DL an old non app store version and upgrade it.... thats how I got mine working... the App store version has issues

GM, thanks. I think you've solved my problem, which was simpler than I thought. It *is* possible to simply drag a PDF from the Mac Desktop into Evernote. But it is NOT possible to drag a PDF directly from Mac Mail into EN, like I do with Mac Notes. The extra step is to drag from Mail into the Desktop, and then re-drag from Desktop into EN. Isn't that correct? Don't know why this step is needed, but seems to work. Somehow didn't try it with directly from Desktop.

Question: will it ever be possible to simply drag directly from Mail into EN? Or, again, am I missing something simple?

thanks, Dan

I put the hole mail to evernote by draging. You see then a eml in evernote with the possiblity to quick looking you see then the mail and de pdf with came with the mail.

It seems that the issue has something to do with apple application sandboxing.

Evernote People (assuming you monitor the forums) - Any update on the problems with Mac App Store Evernote v3.3 and "Print PDF to Evernote"? Any progress over the last few days?

It seems that the issue has something to do with apple application sandboxing.

Evernote People (assuming you monitor the forums) - Any update on the problems with Mac App Store Evernote v3.3 and "Print PDF to Evernote"? Any progress over the last few days?

I second the request for a fix to the App Store version of Evernote so that it actually sends PDF files to Evernote from the PDF services menu. I too had to uninstall Evernote (using the Terminal commands listed here from @tsflynn: )

and then I downloaded the .dmg file to reinstall Evernote outside the App store as @txf01 indicates above.

Kind of a pain.

But now the Save PDF to Evernote works.

I have the same issues...Print > Save PDF to Evernote...nothing happens. I spoke with Evernote support, and they confirmed this is a bug with the latest Evernote Mac client. They didn't give me any workarounds or any ETA for when it would be fixed. As a workaround, I Print > Open PDF in Preview and then drag-and-drop into Evernote. Works fine, but much more cumbersome than it used to be. As an aside, it makes me very sad that the Evernote development team is so prone to introducing these regressions with each release. Does not inspire confidence.

• Level 5*

I cannot speak for the Evernote developers, but I know of other apps (like VoodooPad) that have had to reduce the functionality of their apps the same way in order to get them into the Apple app store. I am guessing (I am not an employee at Evernote and have no knowledge about this) that Evernote is in the same boat.

I am sure Apple has its reasons, and I doubt that Evernote developers enjoy removing features they spent time developing and maintaining, but that is how the system works. At least, that is how it looks to me. It isn't about "confidence", but about policies dictated by Apple.

TFX01

osted 09 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

Just found a workaround:

- uninstall evernote

- download evernote from: http://evernote.s3.a...note_300201.dmg

- install evernote

That's it. It seems that the issue has something to do with apple application sandboxing.

TFX01,

Your suggestion above, which I cut and pasted in this post, worked!!! I tried other users' suggestions, but nothing. Your suggestion worked perfect and fast....

Put old EN into trash, clicked on your link, downloaded, drag to Applications, opened EN. I went to Safari to test it out. Below is what I did to see it.

File

Print

PDF

"Save PDF to Evernote"

Just wanted to say thank you. I am a novice and therefore, had to find suggestions that were simple and straight-forward. I think advanced computer users would also look for simple and straight-forward answers, but as a novice, I had no other choice.

Folks, listen to TFX01. It appears to me he knows what he is talking about.

Thanks again.

tonyj111

I put an alias to Evernote.app in ~/library/PDF (I had to create this folder). The Save to Evernote did not show up under the PDF menu in the print dialog. Is there any known method under Mountain Lion to Save (PDF) to Evernote? I usually want to print a PDF to Evernote from Gmail.

I don't like the extra step to print a PDF to Downloads then drag to Evernote.

Regards

Dennis

I use Mac Mail, and am trying to drag-drop PDF from Mail to Evernote. Cannot seem to do this. Have latest upgrades of both systems. I am not, however, using Premium of Evernote. I can do this easily with Mac Notes, but not Evernote. Is this a bug?

The PDF to Evernote is great functionality. I'd still like to be able to clip something from the clipboard directly into Evernote via the Services menu. I'm now using Clip.to to accomplish that task, but don't you think it should be part of the product, as it is with Notebook, BBEdit and iData? I know I'd use it every day!!

Thanks.

I am getting an error message. It's probably simple, but I do not use Applescript, so I can't fix it.

error "Finder got an error: Can’t make \"Macintosh HD:Users:rolfessenden:Library:PDF Services\" into type item." number -1700 from "Macintosh HD:Users:rolfessenden:Library:PDF Services" to item

I am using Version 3.0.6 (221382) on my MacBook Air 10.7.3.

Rol

this didn't work for me- the script apparently ran correctly. when i tried to run it again it said that the item already existed. There is an evernote alias in library/pdf services. but still not pdf to evernote in the print popup. I have also tried adding it through "edit menu" it shows up on the list after i press "+" and select it- but when i click okay, it doesnt show in the pdf menu and if i go back to edit menu it is no there anymore

I was able to apply inkedmn's script. It was the first time I've added a file to the library folder (used New Folder to add PDF Services), the first time I've used applescript (save to as "print to Evernote.scpt" in user folder) and presto, Print to Evcernote appeared in the print popup. It works and posts pdfs to EN instantly. Thanks for the hint.(using Lion on MBP). Michael

This is great, thanks! Was really missing this functionality.

Just a remark: the "PDF Services" folder didn't exist in my Library. Which made the script fail just as it did in rolfessenden's case. Manually creating the folder and subsequently running the script did the trick.

Hi

I found that putting a new alias is in Library /PDF services worked fine, it still does not work (I get an unsupported message when I try to use "Save to Evernote" option) in Acrobat Pro X.

Only work around is if I use Preview as general reader and save to Evernote works fine from print dialogue and then only use acrobat when i need it,

It is still a real pain

Nicom

I'm getting this error when I paste into Applescript.

error "Finder got an error: Can’t make \"Mac Computer:Users:csherman:Library:PDF Services\" into type item." number -1700 from "Mac Computer:Users:csherman:Library:PDF Services" to item

I also receive an error when I run the script.

error "Finder got an error: Can’t make \"Macintosh HD:Users:Yosef:Library:PDF Services\" into type item." number -1700 from "Macintosh HD:Users:Yosef:Library:PDF Services" to item

Running latest version of Lion on Macbook Air 13.

Fantastic. Thanks. But taking this one step further, is there an Applescript (or Automator workflow) that will take a PDF and put it into Evernote automatically? This is part of a wider workflow where I'd like to use Hazel to watch a folder and when it sees a new PDF, I'd like the applescript to copy it (not move) and put the copy into Evernote.

Needless to say this way beyond me!

Thanks.

Sometimes, this little thing will go missing (or won't be installed by default):

20120215-pxieh7ccis38yc2pxk21tde6uu.preview.jpg

Getting it back is pretty straightforward: you just need to take an alias to the Evernote app and drop it into ~/Library/PDF Services. Trouble is the ~/Library folder is hidden by default in OS X Lion. So, I made a little AppleScript that creates the alias in the right spot. Here's how you get/use it:

If all goes well, you shouldn't see any errors and you should now have the "Send PDF to Evernote" option in the PDF menu of the Print dialog.

Hope this is helpful. Post here if it doesn't work and I'll do my best to get you sorted out.

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

I'm new to AppleScript, but pasted the Script in as suggested and received the below error:

I installed this on a new MacBook Pro (Retina) running the current versions of Lion and Evernote.

I was referred to this posting by Evernote Support as a Premium Member.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide. I rely daily on this function and miss it dearly.

Imkedmn, this applescript solution didn't work. It is also too difficult. With Apple Notes, you just copy (or drag over) any PDF to Notes, and it works fine. It's nearly unbelievable that Evernote cannot do this. All my airline info is in PDF format, as are google maps, etc. How is it not possible to simply copy and paste a PDF?

I also asked if the Premium version of Evernote can do this. If so, I'd upgrade to that. If not, I'll have to stop using Evernote, even though I like some of its other features.

Does Evernote plan to fix this PDF transfer problem? It is so essential, I simply cannot believe that it is not available.

thanks, DanW

• Level 5*

Imkedmn, this applescript solution didn't work. It is also too difficult. With Apple Notes, you just copy (or drag over) any PDF to Notes, and it works fine. It's nearly unbelievable that Evernote cannot do this. All my airline info is in PDF format, as are google maps, etc. How is it not possible to simply copy and paste a PDF?

I also asked if the Premium version of Evernote can do this. If so, I'd upgrade to that. If not, I'll have to stop using Evernote, even though I like some of its other features.

Does Evernote plan to fix this PDF transfer problem? It is so essential, I simply cannot believe that it is not available.

thanks, DanW

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

PDFs are a little bit of a hassle. In Chrome you Print -> Open PDF in Preview -> Print -> Save PDF to Evernote. Obviously, that adds a couple of steps, but the actual time elapsed might only be few seconds. The process is identical for Free and Premium users. I wouldn't call it a "problem." It could certainly be streamlined, but it actually works quite well.

GM, Thanks for the quick reply. I'm using the latest Mac OS, on MBP, not Chrome. If I open up anything in Mac Preview, there is no way to Save PDF to Evernote. Doesn't exist. Am I missing something?

Dan

• Level 5*

GM, Thanks for the quick reply. I'm using the latest Mac OS, on MBP, not Chrome. If I open up anything in Mac Preview, there is no way to Save PDF to Evernote. Doesn't exist. Am I missing something?

Dan

Hi Dan. I am using Lion on an MBA with the Chrome browser. I will fiddle around with Safari, but frankly, that browser (whatever its benefits) always manages to frustrate me. Now it wants me to install a printer. I have not printed a piece of paper in months now (I've gone paperless), and I am not about to set up a printer I probably won't even use (collecting dust in the closet now). If you switch over to Chrome, it is easy, but short of that, you'll have to save the PDF to your desktop (or into your Download folder) and then drag it into Evernote. It probably takes about the same amount of time (a few seconds).

GM, I'm using Safari, not Chrome, as you surmised. However, that's not the problem, in my view. I have lots of PDFs on my desktop, of course, and from email enclosures. I cannot drag any PDF to Evernote. Thus, it's not a problem of the browser. Maybe I'm missing something simple. There is nothing in my Printer command (such as what Imkedmn suggested) that allows me to 'Send to Evernote.' Should I try to delete the App for Evernote, and reinstall. Maybe I have a corrupted App? But others seem to have the same problem.

dan

• Level 5*

If you have a PDF on your desktop, it is quite easy. Just drag into an existing note or drag into a notebook to create a new note with your PDF as an attachment. If this doesn't work, I can dig up a YouTube video somewhere :)

GM, thanks. I think you've solved my problem, which was simpler than I thought. It *is* possible to simply drag a PDF from the Mac Desktop into Evernote. But it is NOT possible to drag a PDF directly from Mac Mail into EN, like I do with Mac Notes. The extra step is to drag from Mail into the Desktop, and then re-drag from Desktop into EN. Isn't that correct? Don't know why this step is needed, but seems to work. Somehow didn't try it with directly from Desktop.

Question: will it ever be possible to simply drag directly from Mail into EN? Or, again, am I missing something simple?

thanks, Dan

• Level 5*

Glad I could help!

I don't use Mail anymore (Gmail online), so I cannot say how it works anymore. I think it is a great request! I wouldn't use it, though :)

The easiest solution for mail? Forward it to your Evernote email address. You can even send it to a specific notebook and assign tags. Use a third-party app like ifttt to do it automatically. It's a brilliant feature.

Archived