My Evernote - Notebooks or Tags - Hoping for some advice

Zaythe

Hi All....Sorry for a different post....Wasnt sure whether to add to my other post which was about a different issue or start a new one....So thought it might be better to have a different one with a better topic....

I have many Notebooks & many tags.....I am trying to see what setup would be better...

I have attached 2 screenshots of my notebooks and tags...

I have a lot of manuals that I store as I am an engineer....

I am trying to figure out whether I need so many notebooks or so many tags...

As an example Notebook - Manuals HP Servers has 17 Notes which have PDF's of the manual. I then have tags for each model so that I can search for the manual in question when I am out and about.

Another example, I am an avid gamer & snapshot a lot of website /forum pastes related to different gaming topics...So I have notebooks for each game, but then have tags also for specific subjects within each game.

Looking for the experience of other forum buddies to give me some tidy up experience.

I am planning on storing all my receipts in future to evernote...either scanning a paper receipt of emailing evernote from the electronic receipt.

post-77945-0-28990100-1329302313_thumb.p

post-77945-0-84160100-1329302539_thumb.p

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

John

Even when using stacks, I find I have to prefix the stack name to each notebook located within it, as Evernote web clipper for Chrome doesn't show stack names when clipping.

I have been clipping to INBOX much more frequently lately, and then sorting at the middle and end of each day, so maybe if this works out I can avoid the above issue, or maybe it will be addressed in a future release.

• Level 5*

Remember, notes always reside in a notebook, not a stack, so you must name a notebook when you clip; that is you cannot clip to a stack. Stacks are used for for organizing notebooks; if you move a notebook out of a stack, its notes are still in the notebook, but they're not in the stack anymore.

Even when using stacks, I find I have to prefix the stack name to each notebook located within it, as Evernote web clipper for Chrome doesn't show stack names when clipping.

I have been clipping to INBOX much more frequently lately, and then sorting at the middle and end of each day, so maybe if this works out I can avoid the above issue, or maybe it will be addressed in a future release.

That is basically the procedure I use.

I clean up Note Title and Tag when I clip but always clip to my default "!Inbox" notebook.

I periodically review the clips in my inbox to:

- Visually check clip.

Sometimes what I get was not what I expected. or, there has been some unwanted cruft included with the clip. Clean up as needed. Add checkbox if action item resulting from new note.

- Move note to appropriate archive notebook.

• 1 month later...

I'm the same way dump everything into inbox then process. Over the last month I have been cutting waaaay back on notebooks the exception being client notebooks I need to keep them separate to share with client and business partner. But most everything else in just a few notebooks and nesting tags.

Zaythe, Maybe it will help to think of it this way:

Notebooks are the main structure you use to organize notes, and are great for the visual aspect of organizing your notes. I think of them like a Table of Contents.

Tags are a great way to get down to the granular organizing of your notes. I think of them like a glossary.

Does that make sense?

• Level 5*
Tags are a great way to get down to the granular organizing of your notes. I think of them like a glossary.

I usually think of tags as adjectives, but the main idea is about the same for me...

• Level 5*

I know some will disagree with me, but, IMO, Tags don't really organize your info, like a Table of Contents or Chapter might do.

To me, Tags are like the index in a book/document -- they help you identify all occurrences of that term in your book (or Evernote account). But reading book/document in order of the index wouldn't be very useful. :)

If you were going to do research for a specific book, or for a specific project, then Stacks/Notebooks could be useful, where the Stack is the Book (or Project) name, and each NB in the stack is a Section/Chapter/Top-Level task. Tags could then be used that cut across all books/projects. While you could model the Book or Project with Tag names, the benefit of using Stacks/NB in this case is:

• Allows you to share a specific Book/Project with others on your team
  • Allows you to easily see the relationships in the Left Panel
  • Allows you to filter notes to exactly a specific Book/Project, whereas tags might pull in Notes from non-related notes.
  • Allows you to browse a Book/Project in a more meaningful order

Archived